Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

I need it cleaned

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
I need it cleaned

So its been a pretty good winter here KCMO with only one major snow fall. This is supposed to be good good weekend with no rain so I plan on doing an entire makeover on the Fit. Can anyone recommend any good products for washing it? I usually just go tot he car wash and use the power washers and dry with beach towel. Its a 2008 and has never been clayed, should i consider it or wait until spring? In all, What do you guys do to make your Fits look awesome! Thanks in advanced!

-Sean

Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
have the nabors clean it

Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 PM
COME ON WALFULZ! Im trying to ask and be serious in this post!

Old 01-17-2013, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Wash, clay bar, wax.

I use the wolf's products mostly for washing.

Uber or Adam's clay bar.

Collinite has a good cheaper wax. I've been using Swissvax on my car though. It's pricey.

Make sure you use a microfiber or wool mitt when washing. Don't use dish sponges or the such. Use a soap and rinse bucket. And don't get wax on the plastic.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
i used this to wash my car comes out shiney

Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Jamy
Wash, clay bar, wax.

I use the wolf's products mostly for washing.

Uber or Adam's clay bar.

Collinite has a good cheaper wax. I've been using Swissvax on my car though. It's pricey.

Make sure you use a microfiber or wool mitt when washing. Don't use dish sponges or the such. Use a soap and rinse bucket. And don't get wax on the plastic.
DAMN swiss vaux! you be a baller lol
if you cant get a hold of good detailer stuff, theres plenty of over the counter stuff at wal mart, pep boys, target, etc
i would recommend this kit
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...s-new-car-kit/
its only like 20 or 30 bucks and it has the essentials except the clay kit
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...ereg-clay-kit/
and please try to use a two bucket method dont put swirls into our soft paint

Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 PM

I use all Meguiar's products -

monthly -

• wash with Deep Crystal Car Wash and maintain the finish with Quick Detailer

semi annually -

• wash with Deep Crystal Car Wash
  • smooth surface Clay Bar
  • Gold Class Carnuba Plus Pate Wax
I only use microfiber towels & cloths.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up MEGUIARS works great for the price.

It's what I have used for years. Claying the paint will remove a lot of crud and help in bringing back the luster, but will not help on micro scratches. Only a good buffing will remove those. Foam pad and light compound say 6 out of 10, on the Meguiars scale. But what ever it is you do you will be shine'n on!
Enjoy!

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 01-17-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sean5995
So its been a pretty good winter here KCMO with only one major snow fall. This is supposed to be good good weekend with no rain so I plan on doing an entire makeover on the Fit. Can anyone recommend any good products for washing it? I usually just go tot he car wash and use the power washers and dry with beach towel. Its a 2008 and has never been clayed, should i consider it or wait until spring? In all, What do you guys do to make your Fits look awesome! Thanks in advanced!

-Sean
When it comes to automobile appearance and care, you can get out of it, what you put into it. It's kind of up to what standards you usually maintain or want to maintain.

Hard for me to tell from your original post. Sounds like your "normal" routine is pretty utilitarian....if you are normally using a car wash and power washers, and drying with a beach towel.

I'd say the good news is that there are a LOT of IMO easy to use and affordable products readily available.

I'm in a colder climate so winter is difficult, but I generally wash using a quality car wash, Meguiars is good. (I admit sometimes in the coldest of winter I use a drive thru....but even though I've been lucky, I never "recommend" it because I've heard the horror stories. But generally in the winter....I get the car as clean as possible as easily and quickly as possible, and then I really, really like Meguiars Quik Wax. Very easy to apply and use.

But as far as going the full monty? With a Clay Bar, Wax Sealer? That's all kind of up to you.

I'd start with a casual trip to your local automotive supply center or department. Take a look at all the products and then see how motivated you are or are not.

For quick ease of use, I like Meguiars products and also, I've had good results with Turtle Wax Ice.

But I need warmer weather for me to do a REAL 100% waxing.