Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

3000 - 3500 RPM vibration!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:32 PM
3000 - 3500 RPM vibration!

Hey guys,

I recently replaced my passenger side axle, transmission fluid, and I'm having some really odd issues with my car!

I torqued that big nut on the wheel hub a lot more and it seems to helped a bit to reduced the vibration but...

Transmission fluid was changed at my 90000km with genuine honda transmission fluid and the shifting is smooth.

The car has a very odd vibration at exactly 3000rpm only when the gear is engaged. I've tried these scenarios:

1. Rev the engine at idle to around 3k-3.5k, nothing happens
2. Coasting and I rev the engine with the clutch in around 3k-3.5k, nothing happens...
3. In any gear, bring it up to speed with the revs at around 3k-3.5k exactly, I hear the vibration and FEEL a vibration, also it almost feels like the car is struggling ever so slightly but the rev's keep coming up...

4. I've checked the heat shield on the headers, nothing changed
5. I've installed a new air filter, nothing changed

I've super baffled. is my transmission going bad? It's a manual gd3 at 92000km's

Any ideas?

Last edited by appleica; 04-03-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Does the vibration remain above 3-3.5K or does it go away beyond a certain RPM?

Old 04-04-2013, 07:04 PM
All motors have a resonance rpm. It has to do with the intake manifold and exhaust design.

I notice this as well. It was reduced slightly when I modified my intake, aka, removed the bottom half. This exposes the filter to more elements, but it does remove the bottleneck that is a small rectangul for airpassage under the filter.

And the fit sounds much better between 3-4500 rpms

Old 04-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by appleica
Hey guys,

I recently replaced my passenger side axle, transmission fluid, and I'm having some really odd issues with my car!

I torqued that big nut on the wheel hub a lot more and it seems to helped a bit to reduced the vibration but...

Transmission fluid was changed at my 90000km with genuine honda transmission fluid and the shifting is smooth.

The car has a very odd vibration at exactly 3000rpm only when the gear is engaged. I've tried these scenarios:

2. Coasting and I rev the engine with the clutch in around 3k-3.5k, nothing happens...
3. In any gear, bring it up to speed with the revs at around 3k-3.5k exactly, I hear the vibration and FEEL a vibration, also it almost feels like the car is struggling ever so slightly but the rev's keep coming up...

I've super baffled. is my transmission going bad? It's a manual gd3 at 92000km's

Any ideas?
try checking the alignment

Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 AM
The vibration is only at 3-3.5k in any gear...

Also if i'm in 3rd gear, down shifting into 2nd gear and i land on 3k rpm it struggles a bit to pull.

I guess I might Seafoam it.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Did you ever resolve this issue? How did you do it?

Old 12-16-2013, 10:09 PM
I have the same problem and it happened after i replaced the axle as well, shortly after my throw out bearing went bad, not sure if the 2 problems are related, but on top of that the axle seal is now leaking, so next big project for me is a clutch kit, and axle seal, i will let you know if the vibration goes away when i replace the throw out bearing. Let me know how you make out with yours...

Old 12-17-2013, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by mikelowell915
I have the same problem and it happened after i replaced the axle as well, shortly after my throw out bearing went bad, not sure if the 2 problems are related, but on top of that the axle seal is now leaking, so next big project for me is a clutch kit, and axle seal, i will let you know if the vibration goes away when i replace the throw out bearing. Let me know how you make out with yours...

are you guys replacing with OEM axles or aftermarket? ive seen countlesss times of vibration under load issues caused by aftermarket axle.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by D429302
are you guys replacing with OEM axles or aftermarket? ive seen countlesss times of vibration under load issues caused by aftermarket axle.
I have always used AutoZone parts on my Hondas and never had an issue, I go through axles a lot the way I drive, especially in the snow, I guess it could be an aftermarket part issue I never thought of that, I am almost certain it is duralast that made the axles hmm... There is a lifetime warranty on those...

Old 02-27-2020, 09:45 AM
Hey guys,

Any ideas?

have you come into conclusion to solved? I got similar issue as you. Please advise...

Old 10-12-2021, 04:58 PM
No relationship to axle or clutch

Originally Posted by mikelowell915
Just wanted to let you know…

The vibration as you described it cannot be in the clutch or axles, as it relates directly with your engine speed at 3000rpms. Your axles and clutch rotations are different speeds in each gear, so they would vibrate at different engine speeds in each gear. If the engine vibration is consistent, regardless of the gear you’re in, then you have an engine problem or computer problem (the engine controller). Just trying to help.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:28 PM
Hey guys,

Any ideas?

Did you ever resolve this issue? My son’s 2018 Civic has identical issues and he hasn’t been able to find it. Would appreciate your solution if resolved. Thanks!