Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

new transmission fluid? flush fluid? or new clutch?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
new transmission fluid? flush fluid? or new clutch?

Hi all, I drive an 09 MT, and after about 29,000 problem-free miles, I've recently experienced my first transmission difficulties. I was hoping people could tell me what the likely problem is before I take it in for servicing.

It started two weekends ago, when after three hours on the highway, I spent about 20 minutes in city traffic. When I finally got to my block, and attempted to shift from third to second, the gear shift wouldn't go into second. It's not that it had a hard time going in; it felt as if there was a wall there, and there was no place for the shift to go. I stopped the car, was able to get it into first, and resumed driving. But the problem recurred, and for the next few minutes--the remainder of my driving that day--I couldn't downshift. This had never happened before.

I experienced a similar problem last weekend, after a drive of about six hours: on multiple occasions at the end of my day, back in the city, I couldn't get it to shift from third into second. This time I noticed something else, too: when I shifted from first into second, there was a subtle, quiet grinding noise, even though the clutch pedal was, as always, all the way to the floor. This too had never happened before (or at least I hadn't noticed it the previous week).

Anyway, I was hoping to arm myself with some knowledge before taking the car in. Does this sound like it needs new transmission fluid? Does the transmission fluid need to be flushed? Have I blown the clutch, and now need a new one? And how much do you think it will cost to fix?

I personally find it curious that the problem arose only after a long day on the highway, when back in the city. I assume that, if the clutch were truly ruined, the problem wouldn't come and go as this one has. But then again, I really don't know much of anything about transmissions.

Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks! / Greg

p.s. the car has received servicing consistent with Honda's recommendations.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:56 PM
I think this is most likely an actual fault in the transmission, such as worn out synchronizers/dogs for the second gear, a bent shift fork, or perhaps a misadjusted shift linkage. A worn clutch would typically slip under high load conditions (hard acceleration in high gears). A broken clutch or leak in the clutch hydraulics could prevent the clutch from disengaging completely, but that should affect all the gears more or less, and would make it especially hard to shift into reverse which lacks synchronizers.

Do note, however, that I'm not a transmission wizard. Hopefully it's something simple and inexpensive, but I've an ill feeling that it many not be.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:50 AM
Banned
Check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder it may be low. Doesn't sound like a clutch plate problem.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by DrewE
I think this is most likely an actual fault in the transmission, such as worn out synchronizers/dogs for the second gear, a bent shift fork, or perhaps a misadjusted shift linkage. A worn clutch would typically slip under high load conditions (hard acceleration in high gears). A broken clutch or leak in the clutch hydraulics could prevent the clutch from disengaging completely, but that should affect all the gears more or less, and would make it especially hard to shift into reverse which lacks synchronizers.
Agree, especially since the problem seems to be in the same gear consistently. See if double clutching makes it go away when it happens?

4 years and 29k miles is impressive

Old 06-22-2013, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
The grinding noise when shifting could be the transmission fluid. I change the fluid in our Fit and CR-V whenever I start to notice this tendency. (Every 25 - 35K miles)

As far as not engaging (or difficulty shifting) I'd look at the external shifter mechanisms before considering a trans teardown. I've had Honda shifters get stiff when the cables gunk up. Just spraying them with WD40 helped one Civic I had.

PS, if the clutch itself is hydraulic, check/replace the clutch fluid as loudbang mentioned. You are about a year overdue for a flush on an '09.

You may be losing clutch action when the fluid gets hot, especially if Honda used a plastic hose for the fluid. (Seen this on other, non-Honda cars)