Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

dysfunctional radiator fan or temp sensor? 2007 Fit

Old 11-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Okay, folks, got under this morning. Everything checks out. I discovered that I can check the operation of the ECT sensors by measuring their resistance. All I had to do was pull the plug on the ends of them to gain access to their electrical prongs - then, apply a multimeter. The one at the thermostat was a pain in the rear. Couldn't see it, so I had to feel my way around with a couple multimeter prongs. You can probably imagine what that was like. Here's the results:

At approximately 45 - 50-degrees Fahrenheit outside air temperature:

Cold Engine

at thermostat = 3.85 k ohms
at radiator = 4.43 k ohms

At approximately 50 - 55-degrees Fahrenheit outside air temperature:

After idling for 20 minutes with heater on

at thermostat = .40 k ohms (and no fan action)
at radiator = 3.65 k ohms

Fuse and relay also checked out. No MIL. I'm not sure what the temperature equivalent for .40 k ohms is, but it's got to be pretty high. I'd still be enlightened to know (Maybe I should ask for a scanner for Christmas ). At any rate, as evidenced, the sensors are working properly. I appreciate everyone's input on this. Clearly, I was freaking over nothing. GAWD, how I just LOVE acquiring new (used) vehicles and pouring over all of their idiosyncrasies

Old 11-07-2013, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
I know what you mean about idiosyncrasies, one of my other cars is an Eldorado with a Northstar engine and drivetrain. It's like a beautiful woman that you have an unbelievable sex with but is otherwise a total bitch.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:58 PM
fans kicked on today

UPDATE:

Got under the car today - an unseasonably warm day (mid-70s) - to do some investigating with a stethoscope (see other topic here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...oid-valve.html). After about a half hour (guesstimating) of idling, the fans kicked on. . . . for a total of 3 seconds. Another 10 to 15 minutes of idling, and the fans kicked on again for another 3 seconds. This puppy likes to run HOT! How hot? I'm still not sure, but it's definitely hotter than most.

Now, if only I could subdue my worries about that incessant tapping that i've been documenting. Feel free to venture into the link above. The way I see it, the more insight I can get from you folks, the better. As a new owner of an old car with lots of marathons under its belt, these 'things' concern me.

@Texas Coyote: Personally, I'd like to hook up with the tramp from Sant'Agata who goes by the name, Reventon. Hey, no harm in dreaming, right?