Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

KraftWerks Supercharger Kit Thread 2.0!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Banned
But you are going to decrease the possibility of detonation. And with a supercharger you will have higher cylinder pressure and temperatures TENDING toward increased chances of detonation. Colder plugs are cheap insurance against the possibility of detonation and will NOT cause any problems if installed even on a stock engine so why not you are going to install nice fresh plugs anyway when you install your new kit aren't you??? Colder plugs don't cost any more than regular ones so the question is "why not what is the downside"...... there is NO DOWNSIDE.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
But you are going to decrease the possibility of detonation. And with a supercharger you will have higher cylinder pressure and temperatures TENDING toward increased chances of detonation. Colder plugs are cheap insurance against the possibility of detonation and will NOT cause any problems if installed even on a stock engine so why not you are going to install nice fresh plugs anyway when you install your new kit aren't you??? Colder plugs don't cost any more than regular ones so the question is "why not what is the downside"...... there is NO DOWNSIDE.
true theres no reason not to install them

Old 03-13-2008, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
except if you live in cold climate. i wouldn't run colder plugs in the winter.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by leonine
Colder plugs will foul more easily as well.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Retired Moderator
Good lord lol...what to do...

It does get quite cold up here, we had a stretch of a week where the temperature was -40 degrees C...winter is usually around -20 to -10 degrees C.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illusive
Good lord lol...what to do...

It does get quite cold up here, we had a stretch of a week where the temperature was -40 degrees C...winter is usually around -20 to -10 degrees C.
you are never going to get hot enough up there to need them IMO. get the iridium IX plugs from king motorsports. those are the ones i use. same heat range as stock but more of a performance plug compared to the oem ones.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by leonine

You guys know don't you and your just pulling my leg you gotta be.... colder heat range spark plugs lower the temperature of the TIP OF THE PLUG ONLY internally to the combustion chamber and have nothing to do with the coolant temperature... or engine temperature

The heat range of the plugs has NOTHING TO DO WITH ambient temperature and outside air temperatures have no effect on lower heat range spark plugs it could range from -50 to 150 degrees and the rating of the heat range of your plugs will have no effect on your engine temperature or operation.

The heat rating means that ONLY the temperature range of the TIP OF THE PLUG INTERNALLY TO THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER will be effected by installing colder or hotter plugs nothing else changes.

OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE HAS NO EFFECT ON THE HEAT RANGE OF PLUGS AND THE HEAT RANGE OF PLUG HAS NO EFFECT ON THE TEMPERATURE OF THE ENGINE (EXCEPT THE VERY TIP OF THE PLUG AND THAT IS INSIDE THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER)

And they will foul more only if you drive like a typical little old lady.

Last edited by claymore; 03-13-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I think he meant cold thermostat. You're right about plugs. It's the thermostat that you don't want if you live in a very cold climate.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Retired Moderator
LOL...dammit why couldn't this be as easy as pulling oil from a rock? Because I can do that hahahaha...

OKOKOK, so the deal is NO thermostat, get cooler plugs to prevent detonation as it won't be affected by the ambient air temperature...is that how it goes?!?!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Personally I think you should stick with the factory heat rating as the supercharger kit has us running 91 octane constantly and upgrading the injector size will not help with the plug fouling issue. If the Oscars don't have a problem with the factory heat rating of the plug, why mess with it? I highly doubt that the temperature of the plug will get so hot that you're going to start having pre-ignition. Stick with the factory plug heat rating, it'll last longer. If you want spend the money on something with a smaller electrode like the irdium plugs.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:48 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DynamicFit
Personally I think you should stick with the factory heat rating as the supercharger kit has us running 91 octane constantly and upgrading the injector size will not help with the plug fouling issue. If the Oscars don't have a problem with the factory heat rating of the plug, why mess with it? I highly doubt that the temperature of the plug will get so hot that you're going to start having pre-ignition. Stick with the factory plug heat rating, it'll last longer. If you want spend the money on something with a smaller electrode like the irdium plugs.
Very well said.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Banned
Heat range does not effect plug life and adding a supercharger will not increase fouling nor will installing larger injectors as they are still only putting out the amount of fuel needed as controlled by the ECU.

And it's not the temperature of the plug that causes most of the detonation it's cylinder combustion chamber temperature that will rise with the installation of a supercharger it has to if it didn't there would be no HP and TQ increase. The reducing of the spark plug tip temperature is just lessening the chance of detonation by issues other than combustion temperature and pressure it's eliminating potential "hot spots" if you want to call it that in simple language.

There is no fouling issue I have had them in my stock with I/E only for the past two years and they have never had any increase in fouling they are just as clean as stock heat range it's just not a real world issue that anyone need be concerned about.

The factory heat range like many compromises by Honda to cater to all types of drivers slow, fast, and in between mean they start with a plug suited to Fit all styles of driving. If you drive like a little old lady then don't bother modifying your Jazz/fit but if you are like most of the members of FitFreak that drive hard sometimes then moving to a colder heat range is just what they were designed for forced induction or n/a.

I can't understand what everybody is afraid of same price, installed the same way, engine insurance, no downside.

The supercharger forced induction will drive up the combustion chamber pressure and combustion chamber temperature, helping by more complete burning of the fuel injected, not increasing the tendency to foul. There are no issues with running a colder plug.

Last edited by claymore; 03-13-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:30 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
All in all. Colder Plugs are NOT required but if YOU would like you can run them. This was stated a few times already... Lets kill the sparkplug talk and stay on topic now.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Former Vendor
The standard OE plugs will work fine for most of you. We track tested our cars with the standard plugs, without a hiccup.

If you are putting in new spark plugs, it doesn't hurt to put one step colder plugs in. If you are going to the track for heavy abuse, look into our recommendations to keep temperatures down. It is peace of mind as you pass the slow cars. If you drive back and forth to work and just wanted a little extra "oomph", there is no reason to go to colder plugs.

I don't want the idea that "Colder plugs and thermostat are REQUIRED" to be in anyone's head. All I am trying to do is give small suggestions on what you could do to compliment your supercharger kit. I'm afraid to give any other suggestions!

Hope that explains a few things...

-OJR

Old 03-13-2008, 12:52 PM
How about the gapping of the plugs? Has Kraftwerks tested different gaps?

I dropped the gap significantly on my S2K when i SC'd it.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Former Vendor
We use standard plug gap throughout all of our applications.

-OJR

Old 03-13-2008, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
So are we still looking at end of march shipping date? Thats only 2 weeks away

Old 03-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by bschook5
Ditto, are we still on course for the ship date? Maybe next week? we are almost into the latter half of the month

Old 03-13-2008, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DynamicFit
...you're going to start having pre-ignition...
hehehe..pre-ignition...I'm sure the girls won't appreciate that

Old 03-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by bschook5
That's what we are gunning for... I will be able to give a firmer date in the next week or so. Sorry about the delay guys.

-OJR

Last edited by OJRKraftWerks; 03-14-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: KraftWerks Supercharger Kit Thread 2.0!