Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

To Resonate, or Not to Resonate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Question To Resonate, or Not to Resonate?

...that is the question. I am PERFECTLY satisfied with how my car sounds and performs, but was wondering if there is a distinct advantage in performance to changing the B-Pipe. In the first post, it says "[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']The [/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']resonator[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] lowers and smoothens the sound – as well as increasing the exhaust flow thru the mid-section - A non-resonated exhaust system will decrease performance on a N/A’ed Jazz." That would suggest that I have nothing to lose by leaving well enough alone, and simply replacing the resonator with straight pipe is a bad idea. So is there a distinct advantage, for the money, of buying someone else's B-pipe with their resonator? What effect on horsepower, torque or gas mileage would result? My car is a daily driver and I just like to wring it out once in awhile... [/FONT]

Old 05-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by der Mond
...that is the question. I am PERFECTLY satisfied with how my car sounds and performs, but was wondering if there is a distinct advantage in performance to changing the B-Pipe. In the first post, it says "[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']The [/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']resonator[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] lowers and smoothens the sound – as well as increasing the exhaust flow thru the mid-section - A non-resonated exhaust system will decrease performance on a N/A’ed Jazz." That would suggest that I have nothing to lose by leaving well enough alone, and simply replacing the resonator with straight pipe is a bad idea. So is there a distinct advantage, for the money, of buying someone else's B-pipe with their resonator? What effect on horsepower, torque or gas mileage would result? My car is a daily driver and I just like to wring it out once in awhile... [/FONT]
Weapon R street header no added noise, better throttle responce from the bottom, and better milage at least +2 miles per gallon. I'm still running stock b-pipe and muffler.

My choice for B pipes would be T1R not that expensive stock type replacement quality finish and according to AJs no resonance (similar to stock)

Last edited by 08FitSport; 05-31-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:56 PM
well I did the ghetto thing and cut out my resonator and welded in a piece of straight pipe so the car is louder and has a nicer tone. As far as performance I have no idea.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
I've got the J's Racing B-pipe and it's about as straight as you can get and resonator-less to boot. Sound increased noticeably and low-mid torque + mid-high rpm response increased noticeably as well. If I had to, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks, guys, given the cost of a new quality B-Pipe and header etc. and not wanting to go down the slippery slope of one mod after another, I think I'll just leave the little resonator right where it is.