Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

64mm Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
It broke a rear control arm and differential and my younger cousin snuck off with it and warped the frame after I had replaced the Powerglide with 3 speed manual with a custom built high spring pressure plate and bonded riveted disk.... I traded the engine for a pristine condition 64 Fairlane that I gave to my 1st ex and the engine went into a stock car racer after being in a 67 Chevelle for awhile as a street racer.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Sorry my bad, CFM@ any pressure = the same CFM, guess I haven't thought about that one.

I checked out the throttle controllers and have to say I'm a little unimpressed, it looks like it just opens the throttle more for the same pedal input, you know like instead of paying $300 you could just floor it when you want to accelerate faster.

So if throttle controllers exist, and we have a DBW set up shouldn't it be possible to use a larger throttle body and limit the speed at which the throttle body opens to preserve low rpm torque. If the problem is too much airflow, and thus lower flow velocity, wouldn't limiting the air flow at low engine speed via a reduce throttle opening rate solve that problem, while still allowing the throttle to flow more air up top.

This would make for something like a constant velocity carb, just electronically controlled. A bit more complicated than current throttle controllers, but good throttle response and the added bonus of a few extra horses at the top end might make for a added selling point. Uh, god I need a dyno...and a garage....and all the time in the world.

I don't know if it was actually faster or just felt faster, but when I switched from a 500 cfm 2 barrel on a 289 V8 to a 600 cfm 4 barrel with vacuum secondaries it sure felt like a different motor. If you calculated the amount of flow you need at 100% volumetric efficiency (which is overkill for those motors) you get something around 500 cfm. Didn't stop the Shelbys from running 715 cfm carbs, and no one doubts that those cars where built right.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
The add on throttle controllers when set on the most radical settings do open the throttle percentage at over 50% more than what it should in relation to the stock setting, but remember that the stock controller is set up for economical driving and opens very very sloth like slow.. You can push the pedal down as fast and hard as you want and it will still open slowly... The difference with the after market ECT when the throttle is blipped in neutral sounds like the flywheel has been replaced with a much lighter one it picks up revs so much faster and it does the same when you are in gear.... Most of the time I have my ETC in the slowest responding mode and the fastest opening mode is too much.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
**Back from Dead**

Great thread! Lots of interesting information. Woke up out of my sleep last night and just read through 10 pages of this thread. Lots of questions were raised. Haven't read much on results though. Only from the original OP on how it felt to have the larger 64mm throttle body on his 1.3ltr.

Still good to read up and learn a few things.