Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

short shifters question and answers

Old 01-22-2007, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
So what does it look like installed?

I already thought the Jazz was a slight short shifter. Especially with most cars I've driven in, my Jazz has the shortest shifter. lol.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:38 PM
finally. something i can use from over seas.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Retired Moderator
I could use one of these right now!

Old 01-22-2007, 07:27 PM
my guess is that the price from mugen DOESN'T include importing it to the US. wonder how much it'd be to actually get it here. isn't alot of the markup due to getting it here?

Old 01-22-2007, 08:36 PM
5 Year Member
SWEEEEET!! Thanks for the info and pic. This solves one of my few major issues with this car.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by arsonall
my guess is that the price from mugen DOESN'T include importing it to the US. wonder how much it'd be to actually get it here. isn't alot of the markup due to getting it here?
Oh probably like $1000 but it's JDM so it's totallly worth it!!! right?

Old 01-23-2007, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoFits
Oh probably like $1000 but it's JDM so it's totallly worth it!!! right?
Yesurrrr! haha

Old 01-23-2007, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by arsonall
The price is for the JDM market, so yes, it usually will be more if you were to have it shipped from Japan, if only because the cost of shipping can be so high. Still, King Motorsports and a few others are US Mugen agents and their prices are almost identical to the Japanese market's for various items so there's a good chance you could pick it up for a reasonable price. You just have to wait and see when it's released if any of the distributors here are gonna pick it up. I say they probably will if it fits the car.

As for specs on this thing, still looking around as there doesn't seem to have been much info released from Mugen about it yet.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
Did a bit more checking around on this and there is basically no info at all out there yet other than what I've posted so far. I did find, however, that Mugen makes a similar quick-shifter for the TSX/JDM Accord Euro-R, and it does have a shortened throw in addition to the shortened shaft and beefed-up mount, so I'm betting this one's gonna be the same deal. Japanese owner's of the TSX version are pretty ecstatic about it, so things show promise for the Fit's, too. If I find out anything more, I'll post it here.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
I Want, really bad!!!!

Old 01-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Chikubi
Did a bit more checking around on this and there is basically no info at all out there yet other than what I've posted so far. I did find, however, that Mugen makes a similar quick-shifter for the TSX/JDM Accord Euro-R, and it does have a shortened throw in addition to the shortened shaft and beefed-up mount, so I'm betting this one's gonna be the same deal. Japanese owner's of the TSX version are pretty ecstatic about it, so things show promise for the Fit's, too. If I find out anything more, I'll post it here.
If it does have a shortened throw, I'll get one if the price is still reasonable. It sure doesn't look like the throw changed from the picture though - looks like all it is a shortened shaft, but I guess the stiffer mounting is a good thing....

I have no idea what they mean about "ratios" though. Might this be a mangled translation of 'shift knob angle', or something similar? Surely changing the shifter has no actual effect on the transmission gear ratios, right? Any insights on this one????

Old 01-26-2007, 09:04 PM
look at the diagram in the picture, it's not showing any less throw. I would guess that if it did have less throw than Mugen would want to promote that. showing a very clear diagram with no reduced throw makes me thing that's not part of the deal. Which sucks!

Old 01-27-2007, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
It's a bad translation, that's all - "Ratio" means throw. And I think everyone is reading just a bit too much into the diagram. They use a similar diagram for the TSX shifter, and per King Motorsports' site "The stock TSX shifting box is a little on the sluggish side for sport and track driving. Mugen has introduced a complete replacement that accomplishes three things: 1) Shorter fore-aft throw for quicker shifts 2) The shift knob has been lowered by 1 inch for better ergonomics 3) Reinforced ABS construction with solid mounts for more precise action."

Here's the TSX diagram, look familiar?

Personally, I don't think Mugen is stupid enough to just sell a shorter levered shifter, but we'll have to wait until March to find out.

Old 01-27-2007, 03:19 PM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
really looks good...hopefully it Fits and does all of the above

Old 01-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Former Vendor
I pre-ordered mine already so I will do a write-up once I get that installed.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:34 PM
i'll be getting one of these when they becine available.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AJ PwR Jr.
I pre-ordered mine already so I will do a write-up once I get that installed.
Cool, would really like to see that. Did they say anything about the release date at all? Is it still in March?

Old 01-28-2007, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by claymore
Chikubi, during your surfing have you read anything about solid shifter and transmission bushings yet. I would like to get a set but haven't found any for the Jazz/Fit.
Nope, not a word unfortunately. I did a quick check on Minkara's parts listings and found nothing there either, so looks like a no go for now. I'll keep it in mind though as I hunt around.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
So who's making a short shift?

So when is someone gonna make a short shift kit for me to buy?

Old 03-09-2007, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TotallyFit
So when is someone gonna make a short shift kit for me to buy?
All that i've seen is the Mugen one that was barely released for the J-spec Fit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: short shifters question and answers