Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

short shifters question and answers

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Illusive
I would suggest either T1R or Mugen. The Mugen one is pricey, probably only 50 to 100 more than the T1R when all is said and done, but it'll be well worth it since the whole unit is there. It's an easy install as well, I'm not too sure how labor intensive the T1R one will be, but I imagine it will only be a touch more difficult than the Mugen one. I'm sure the S2 one is a good product, but the only thing I dislike are those set screws for the ball mount on the bottom of the shifter. Reminds me of those universal shift knobs. If you jiggle it too much, they will eventually come loose. But loctite would fix that problem for a good stretch.

Basically, if you got the coin, Mugen IMO. If not, T1R. I highly suggest the T1R if you are unsure mainly because it'll probably be priced between the two kits and provide a nice short throw with only a little extra time on the install. If you can't do that either, S2. That's my personal order.
Thanks a bunch Illusive. I will rep you for your help once i can rep you again. haha. Thats kinda what i was thinking as well i just wanted some advice from someone who knows more about it then me.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by jdjohnson9
Thanks a bunch Illusive. I will rep you for your help once i can rep you again. haha. Thats kinda what i was thinking as well i just wanted some advice from someone who knows more about it then me.
No problemo, glad I could be of service!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
Just got my Mugen SS in the mail today. Hope to get it installed by the weekend, but initial impression is very good -- it's really well made, and aside from the T1R, I just can't imagine buying any other SS.

***UPDATE*** Just installed it today. Didn't get to drive it as long a I would've liked, but so far it feels really good. A bit firmer than the OEM shifter, and much more decisive when i shift, but not quite as short of a throw as I was expecting, though still better than OEM. In my case, I installed the H-Fit hard mounts at the same time, so it feels REALLY solid now, but no vibration to speak of like some have suggested.

Last edited by Chikubi; 04-04-2008 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Got SS installed
Old 04-21-2008, 02:15 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
where can i get the mugen one for a decent price?

Old 04-21-2008, 02:24 AM
Originally Posted by dewthedew
where can i get the mugen one for a decent price?
King motorsports is the best place to get it imho. They may be a couple bucks more then other places but they will treat you the best. Here is the link http://www.kingmotorsports.com/category.aspx?cat=13. Hope that helps.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:40 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
also does anyone have pics of the mugen short shifter installed with a shift knob like this ..

it would be awesome if someone did have pics.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
when installing the skunk2 ss they give you 4 metal washers to raise the assembly...those are supposed to go directly under the rubber ones right? i saw these bushing things and was wondering if they were the same or whats up with that. i installed my skunk a few weeks ago and it seems to be fine just wanna make sure i installed it properly.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:12 PM
will H-Fit's hard mounts work with the Mugen quickshifter? I want silky smooth, precise, shorter shifts! I could just deal with the Mugen by itself, but if there's anything else I can do while the console and ring/boot are off, I'd rather do it once. Set it and forget it!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
will H-Fit's hard mounts work with the Mugen quickshifter? I want silky smooth, precise, shorter shifts! I could just deal with the Mugen by itself, but if there's anything else I can do while the console and ring/boot are off, I'd rather do it once. Set it and forget it!
They pop right in just like OEM and make a fine shifter even more solid and precise. I put 'em in mine from the day I got it and I can't imagine not having them there. You will be happy.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:28 PM
nice, thanks for the help you didn't know how it shifted before the kit, but I do so I'm sure it'll make a huge galaxy of difference lol modding a car has never been this much fun. What's up with that?

Old 12-03-2008, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Τoday i bought the Skunk2 ss.Is it easy to install this??
Is there any DIY??

Old 06-21-2009, 05:37 PM
T1R Installed

Got a T1R SS, happy with it.
Install took me a while, but I'm new to DIY. (make a note of the order you took it apart, and put it back together in the same order). There's some great DIY write up's. I didn't use it, but I'd recommend the lithium grease available in the aerosal can since I think it would be a bit lighter than the tube that I used.

Feel's much more solid than stock and much shorter. I only notice it taking much more effort to shift into 5th. Otherwise I've gotten completely used to it in the past couple weeks.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member
i want a short shifter, the shifter feels very loose

Old 08-06-2009, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
the diff. isn't so significant. our shifters are cable type.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
Brand?

What brand?

TIA,

Stefano

Originally Posted by alf74

Installed this morning in about 1 hour on my Jazz 1.3
It works great!
Don't loose your money with other kit....

Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 AM
I like my mugen short shifter. I've had it about 3k and it's firm and doesn't feel cheap at all. It's how the shifter should feel out of the box.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 PM
I know it's been a while since anybody has posted here. I didnt read through every page so I could be wrong. But I didn't see anyone talking about the Buddy Club SS. It's the same concept as Mugen except a 1/3rd of the price. Replaces the entire assembly. Where as the T1R replaces just the shifter itself. I had the T1R in my car for approx. 2k miles. Then replaced with the Buddy Club. Which I've had for well over a year now. I love it. It feels so much better than the T1R. I didnt install the hard mount bushings. Not sure if I will, but I'm still thinking about it. The only other thing I put on is my Greddy countersunk shift knob. Which is my favorite of any knob ive ever owned. It is countersunk so the top of the ball sits flush with the top of the threads of the shifter. In fact. The Greddy knob made a significant difference in feel with the factory shifter!! They have since discontinued production, but I'm sure you can still find them. Both were good. Installation of both was fairly easy. With the T1R being a little more difficult with pulling the shifter out of the plastic ball. Buddy Club ran me around 120 if I remember correctly. I think it's the best bang for the buck.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:44 PM
I never tried the Buddyclub but it looks like it comes with the stock shifter console and a Skunk2 type adaptor so I guess it will feel like skunk2 more or less.

I used to have the Skunk but IMO, it feel's weird and replaced with T1R. The T1R shifter feel's tighter so less whobbling feel. It cost more than Skunk but definitely better.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
Here is a link to what is supposed to take the play out of your shifter Mechanism... TWM Performance Honda Fit Bushing Kits

Old 02-02-2012, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Here is a link to what is supposed to take the play out of your shifter Mechanism... TWM Performance Honda Fit Bushing Kits
I've wondered if these make a difference... I found these:
CorSport: Honda - 2007-2008 Honda Fit - 1000.001

Can anyone comment on the effect they have?

Quick Reply: short shifters question and answers