Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

short shifters question and answers

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
tagged for interest!
Can't wait to hear some driving impressions!
Mugen kit here...https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post154921

Old 07-06-2007, 11:24 PM
thanks alot!

Old 07-27-2007, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
Got an email from Skunk2 announcing the release of thier short shifter kit, $60, reduced throw by 22%. Not a full replacement unit though, just spacers that raise the stock unit. Anyone ever used a setup like this?

[/img]

Old 07-27-2007, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gthumb23
Got an email from Skunk2 announcing the release of thier short shifter kit, $60, reduced throw by 22%. Not a full replacement unit though, just spacers that raise the stock unit. Anyone ever used a setup like this?

[/img]
very interesting.. 22% not bad and this is a very cheap alternative. As my shifter is already shortened by my counter weight greddy knob.. reducing the throw with these is a very possible idea for me. I'd like to get more information on that if possible!!

Old 07-27-2007, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
http://www.c16mag.com/autofiends_item.aspx?cid=1659

okay follow that link and there's some info on it. raise the shifter box, as to shorten the throw.. not exactly sure how.. unless I sit here and think about it I'm sure I will.. but looks like a straight forward install. I may be tempted to go this route as I don't care for a new shifter arm and if this shortens the throws, then woopty dooo! Thanks for introducing it to me, I'll probably try to get this product sometime within the month. I'll post some info on it.

Quote »
Skunk2 Honda Fit Short Shifter AdapterSkunk2?s innovative engineering has developed a cost effective short shifter solution that rivals all other competitors in performance per dollar. The skunk2 short shifter adapter for the Honda Fit is comprised of cadmium plated steel hardware and is designed to reduce shifting throw by 22%. This is achieved by adding a 17mm adapter to the bottom of the shifter and raising the shifter box to compensate. By maintaining the factory length on the upper portion of the shifter, no additional torque is required to shift between gears. *OEM assembly and skunk2 shift knob not included.
MSRP $59.85
lol in a matter of like 20 minutes I got a ton more info..

turns out the kit includes shifter bushings as well! So you don't have to buy them separately for some $30+ if you were lookin to replace the oem rubbers while you were at it. They're all over ebay right now for a buy it now of $46 shipped which is $15 cheaper than the MSRP. I gotta jump on one of these...

Last edited by aznguyen316; 07-27-2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added additional pictures and info
Old 07-29-2007, 03:18 PM
turns out the kit includes shifter bushings as well! So you don't have to buy them separately for some $30+ if you were lookin to replace the oem rubbers while you were at it.
It looks like the bushing it comes with are only spacers to raise it to compensate for the longer adapter on the bottom of the stick. That would lead me to believe it is still using the OEM rubber bushings. Look at what comes packaged in the Skunk2 kit and pictures of the whole unit put together, it still has rubber bushings above the new spacers.
Soo, if you wanted to tighten it up with stiffer mounting bushings you would still have to replace replace the OEM ones. This is still a cheaper option under half the cost of the Mugen.

Edit...
Some other things I just thought of.
I haven't seen % numbers on the Mugen like on the Skunk2s 22% but using Raimondas numbers on the Mugen DIY install
throw from 3rd to 4th there's a .75 differnet from stock to Mugen short shifter, thats a 20% difference, the throw with the Skunk2 "should" be .865 at 22% so theorecticaliy under 3 inches between 3rd and 4th.
Other thing is the Skunk2 uses the stock stick and raises it 17mm or .67 inches, stock height on the stick is 5.25 with the Skunk2 it should be 5.92 inches but the Mugen is only 4.25 inches, all using Raimondas measurements. So its nice to have options if you think the stick needs to be lower or higher depending on your preferences.

Last edited by Asym; 07-29-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
I see, I didn't realize those were the bushings that were to be replaced. Yeah it does look like those will have to be purchased separately. My bad. But what I'm curious about is can this just be replaced by metal washers purchased at like Ace Hardware or something? I'm not used to this type of gearbox, my 94 teg had the shifter and then the linkages, in which polyurethane bushings were put into the linkage.. and the short shifter only costs like $30-$50 haha.

Last edited by aznguyen316; 07-29-2007 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Here is is another illustration from thier web site that helps explain HOW the throw is shortened.

[/img]

Old 07-29-2007, 10:24 PM
One more thought. Since the Skunk2 short shifter mounts on the stock shifter, it should mount on the Mugen. So both again using Raimondas numbers on the Mugen DIY install, the final height would be 4.92 inches with a throw of 2.34 inches (22% of 3 inches) from 3rd to 4th.

Any problems with the math, or any of the people with Mugen short shifters willing to try mounting the Skunk2 with the Mugen?

Old 07-29-2007, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gthumb23
Here is is another illustration from thier web site that helps explain HOW the throw is shortened.

[/img]
thank you for that. I understand it much better now =)

Old 07-29-2007, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
i think putting the skunk adapter kit on the mugen would be overkill

Old 07-29-2007, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dank24
i think putting the skunk adapter kit on the mugen would be overkill
can never be too short eh? My teg had a really nice shorty on it and my bro's rsx has a buddy club that is uuber short lol Fit feels like a big rig compared to his =)

Old 07-30-2007, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
I think I'd like to experience the combo of the two... although I don't know if your feet could move fast enough to utilize that quick of a shift...? never even thought of that combo... like to see someone try though.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member
Awww gad damit you bastards. Forcing me to want to experiment. I think I might just do that pretty soon, and if it doesnt turn out I'll sell the skunk2 adapters to someone. :P

Old 08-10-2007, 01:52 AM
damn it, just looked into the skunk 2 short shifter, and they stole my design!! damn them! jk jk but i made a short throw shifter a few months ago and it is just like the skunk 2's design. what a coincidence, the only thing that is different is that mine is made with steel and skunk's made with brass or bronze.
i learned fast that there is a limit to how much you can actually lengthen shifter, because it interferes with the "slanting hump" under the shifter assembly
for the people that want to add the skunk 2 with the Mugen, i dont recommend you doing that because the mugen one already lengthened the shifter on the bottom already. the only way i see it might work is raising the whole shifter assembly like 1/2 inch or more, or else it will interfere with the "slanting hump"

Old 08-10-2007, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
I think I am going with mugen on this one.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quangalang
damn it, just looked into the skunk 2 short shifter, and they stole my design!! damn them! jk jk but i made a short throw shifter a few months ago and it is just like the skunk 2's design. what a coincidence, the only thing that is different is that mine is made with steel and skunk's made with brass or bronze.
i learned fast that there is a limit to how much you can actually lengthen shifter, because it interferes with the "slanting hump" under the shifter assembly
for the people that want to add the skunk 2 with the Mugen, i dont recommend you doing that because the mugen one already lengthened the shifter on the bottom already. the only way i see it might work is raising the whole shifter assembly like 1/2 inch or more, or else it will interfere with the "slanting hump"

Thats the beauty of it, the skunk 2 adapters lengthen the shifter even more and raise the whole base to compensate. The next thing I'm doing is ordering both kits and if I don't like the result I already have my cousin to sell him the Skunk2 adapters.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:26 AM
tagged for interest

Old 08-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by nttdemented
Thats the beauty of it, the skunk 2 adapters lengthen the shifter even more and raise the whole base to compensate. The next thing I'm doing is ordering both kits and if I don't like the result I already have my cousin to sell him the Skunk2 adapters.
oh so you dont have either one yet so you have no clue what im talking about.... i know the skunk 2 raises the base to compensate for it, that's what i had to do. you'll see what i mean about the "slanting hump" later down the road.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by quangalang
oh so you dont have either one yet so you have no clue what im talking about.... i know the skunk 2 raises the base to compensate for it, that's what i had to do. you'll see what i mean about the "slanting hump" later down the road.
And what, might I ask, would be so dificult about adding some washers to raise the base a little more if it ends up rubbing that slump? As I understand it, the base of the Mugen raises the whole assembly a little bit to compensate the longer bottom end of the shifter while at the same time having hard mounting bushings and a shorter top shaft. So basically the mounting depths of the Mugen shifter should end up about the same as OEM. Simple logic would dictate that the idea of adding the Skunk2 adapters over the Mugen shifter should work just fine.

Eitherway I have a backup plan, I can sell the Skunk2 adapters easily.

Just imagine how sweet and short the shifter would be!

Quick Reply: short shifters question and answers