Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Another KW AT kit- INSTALLED!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Another KW AT kit- INSTALLED!

First off, let me apologize profusely for not having dynos. TRUST ME-- I wanted before and afters and to create a really helpful post and all that. It's downright frustrating to not have that valuble information for analysis-- I agree. But honestly the install ran me way over budget and it being Christmas and all- having 2 young kids (7 and 4-- you know, when Christmas is such a big deal at that age), I could not spend one more dime on this. The wife is already--let's just say: not all the way up to speed on the "particulars" of this transaction.
So what I can offer is a lot of impressions.
My car has 22,000 miles on it prior to install, so I know good and well how it runs and what it feels like. Previous engine mods were T1R intake, T1R header (so nice), and T1R VIP axleback exhaust. Also of note are SSR Type C 16" wheels (under 12 lbs.), Bridgestone RE-O1R tires, and Skunk2 Pro-C coilovers. I felt the most noticeable increases in overall performance and pep when I added this wheel/tire combo.
I have 2 close friends with bone stock Fits and from driving their cars after having these basic mods for a while, I can say with certainty that my car was peppier. Nothing mind blowing, but quicker overall.

The kit took my guys at SoulSpeed Performance in Austin, TX about 10 hours total to install. At $78 an hour that was obviously $780. Worth it to me because these guys are bad asses and I trust them implicitly. The Fit was on the rack next to 2 Porsches, a Lotus, and EVOs and STIs lined the parking lot, FWIW. My business has slowed down a lot and my clients are slow to pay right now, so money is tight and this was a very inopportune time for this kit to show up (having ordered back in May when life was very different), but there was no way I was going to be able to sit around in look at it waiting for things to turn around. I arrived on Monday and was in the car by Thursday, completed Friday.
So that's the long version why I skipped the dynos. Not to mention I took almost 2 days off work to drive 2.5 hours to Austin, had to stay overnight in a (cheap) motel, meals, etc. to have the right guys do the install. Time and $$ were primary considerations. I will have it dyno'd after the holidays though. I am really guessing better gains (due to the T1R header?) than usmc0341's. The car is noticibly much quicker and definitely way more torque.
The only install quirks were that the hood rubs in one tiny spot, which we fixed by a few taps (on the underside of the hood) and a small piece of felt tape. Also, my guy though the tightness of the overall fit was a little too close for comfort around the header and he added some heat wrap type material in one particularly vulnerable looking spot. Other than that, I have noticed a very slight rattle when stopped but idling (bot in Park) which sounds like something vibrating on the hood.

So onto the driving and performance.
I was immediately very impressed. Off the line/low end is night and day difference from my previous set-up. A while back one of the beta testers made the comment "the car just feels 'right'", and I couldn't agree with that more. I was VERY in tune with all the nuances of how my car performed, and recently started autocrossing which has brought me even closer to the finer points of my car, shortcomings (power) and benefits (handling) equally weighed. The first time we pulled onto the on-ramp and I felt real boost, it put a great big smile on my face. This is what I had always wanted in this car. To punch it and have it punch back. To not feel like I had an anemic little Honda chick-car that lacked substance. This kit delivered that "substance" feel, rounding out the engine and filling in the gaps. Passing a big truck in the fast lane confirmed it. No comparison to stock or my previous set-up. Down shift and the simply goes like you always wanted it to. I was very stoked, and smiling huge. Could it be faster, more powerful, more torquey? Sure. Does it kick an otherwise pathetic 1.5L up about 10 notches- yes.

You definitely have to use the paddle shifters in S mode to extract the power though. I guess it's just because you can really get the rpms up high without the car deciding it's time to change gears, so you max out the boost (?). I'd say the torque is the most noticeable aspect. The car actually now has real pull to it-- and it is fun. We've all come to accept the limitations of this car to varying extents, especially the AT, but this kit simply gets it right where it needs to be.

A big factor for me was that this car has to serve many functions. My wife drives it about 10 miles a day to work with my 2 kids, and it's essentially the family car, while at the same time being a hobby for me, and now that I am addicted to autoX, that too. The KW kit seemed to be a better option in terms of reliability (though of course that will remain somewhat to be seen), and balance. The car now feels very balanced-- a very noticeable performance gain, that is easily managed. You don't get the feeling that the car is being asked to do more tnan it was designed to do or that your going to wear it out before its time (I need this car to get me through the next 5 years at a minimum).

So if you have the money, you shouldn't be disappointed in this kit. If you are really stretching yourself or going into major debt to get it, I'd maybe give it some serious meditation time before making a decision. It is impressive, it does provide an undoubted performance gain, and otherwise does everything it was touted to do by OJR and Kraftwerks-- no disappointments here. But when it comes to boost/FI, it is clear that the mindset is is understandably one of expecting to be smoking tires and running with EVOs. That's not going to happen, but your Fit will be a hell of a lot more fun, and at last will feel "legit".

And pardon my ignorance and lack of using all the right terminology. This is simply a "man in the street" review based on an affection for this car that often defies logic, and my desire to make it better.

I'd post some pics if anybody really cares-- I mean, if you've seen one engine bay with it installed, you've pretty much seen them all. LMK.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Great informative review! Since it's a daily driver, how does the supercharger affect MPG (or does it?)

We've all seen them installed, but I'd love to see it again. Pics and/or video would be awesome! Thanks.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks. I haven't really looked at MPG-- nor have I ever-- so I can't say, but I'm guessing if there's a drop it's because you are simply compelled to punch it pretty much any chance you get! driving back from Austin on the highway, considering my frequent "tests" of the system, I'd say it seemed about average with previous trips there (I go to Austin a lot, but it's just impression). This car is so cheap to fill up that I have just never cared much about mpg.

I will shoot pics today and will post shortly.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
congrats!
sounds like fun

Old 12-06-2008, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Are you running a "test pipe" on your set up or did you retain the stock catalytic convertor?

Old 12-06-2008, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
congrats on the install!

yeah mpg will stay around the same, but of course we're running on premium from now on...

Old 12-06-2008, 03:03 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Congrats on the install! I have driven the AT kit and it is truly a night and day difference!

Old 12-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks guys!
Wave-- yes, I retained the cat. Just T1R header and T1R axle back exhaust. This kept me from needing the injector upgrade. I have learned now to say not "if" but "when" I mod the rest of the exhaust, that will be a next step that will of course require the injectors but will also be a logical step toward a bit more power. For now I am glad I didn't need the injector upgrade because that puts me way out of budget range for the present moment. Soon though, soon.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks for the review. Your post answered a few of the questions I still had about the kit and getting it installed. They only other thing im wondering about is, I go to the dealer for all my service i.e. oil changes. IM wondering what they will have to say about a supercharger on the car and if they will still be able to do oil changes

Old 12-06-2008, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jsensk
Thanks guys!
Wave-- yes, I retained the cat. Just T1R header and T1R axle back exhaust. This kept me from needing the injector upgrade. I have learned now to say not "if" but "when" I mod the rest of the exhaust, that will be a next step that will of course require the injectors but will also be a logical step toward a bit more power. For now I am glad I didn't need the injector upgrade because that puts me way out of budget range for the present moment. Soon though, soon.
Yeah, I received no response whatsoever from KW on the injector upgrade. I e-mailed the website twice.

OJR was pretty certain I'd experience a lean condition without the injector upgrade.....

I'm still going to drop my car off for the install Monday morning 12/8.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
congrats man!

i too know the nuances of my cars performance, so your review hit it on the head.

now go find a long back road and give us some 0-60 times. jk!

i will say that the constant fitment issues are disheartening.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Luvs Dah b00st!
soooo...leme get this stright. One, You spent over $4,300 on 30hp? Two, why?

Old 12-06-2008, 07:28 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gd3kamiwanaB

Seriously, everytime I read one of your posts i end up shaking my head. Remember these are AT guys. that 30hp is about 40 on a MT. On top of that the 6psi that he said he hit isnt at 4k its at about redline... its more of a constant 4.5-5. Your lack of understanding makes your posts look dumb, to say the least. So what if he spent $4300 for 30hp? whats it to you? As long as he can justify the money he spent on it and is happy with it. Stop trying to bring everyone down who doesnt have the HKS kit. The HKS kit is the worst Turbo kit out of all the systems offered, but we dont go on your threads constantly reminding you about that. Let the guy be and if anyone has questions on how allmighty your HKS kit they can PM you. Until then please stop trying to bring these guys down for not buying a HKS kit when it is not even offered for the AT.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by gd3kamiwanaB
That's a fair question. When I committed to the order, I was under the impression-- based largely on that SIPHON magazine article a long time ago-- that the gains would be much greater. That article made this thing sound so freaking insane, I will admit to a pretty much impulse buy. Being the Jackson's and all, their rep so solid with s/c and Hondas, I just assumed it would be over the top awesomeness. Now, the car (JDMChris', of course) in the article was an MT and a different exhaust set-up, etc., so something a bit closer to what they got might be possible, though of course AT slushbox is a limiter no matter what.

When I got this car originally I had no intention whtsoever of doing more tan maybe getting a better looking exhaust. Once bitten with the tuner bug, I had it bad.

So I am in no way disappointed, but yes, I had hoped for a bit more. It's still sweet and I am glad to have it, but I can't think about the $$ side or I get a faint panic that I might be an idiot (and some of you are saying in your head right now-- "yes, my son, for you are an idiot", I know. But this kit really does its job-- and it is still kick-ass. I will wipe the floor with an NA AT Fit, without question. And I am lucky enough to have an AutoX event tomorrow, which I ma really excited about. I will definitely shatter some personal records with the new torque and corner-exit-power prowess.

Honestly though, where else are you going to get any real power/torque gains on a FIT AT and maintain the DD reliability? For now and the foreseeable future, the answer is no where. So in pursuit of the best option to fit my needs, the KW kit was the call. I couldn't handle lame-ass stock/NA performance one more day.

Just my honest perspective. It is a lot of money...agreed.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:40 PM
I didn't see JDMChris' post until after finishing mine. Thanks for saying what I really wanted to say, Chris! That was my initial response, but I figured I had to be diplomatic. I don't need to really be reminded of how much it costs. I just wanted to make my car more fun to drive, and that mission was accomplished times 100.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:41 PM
I can't say I agree with your choice, but I'm glad you are happy. That is the number 1 priority after all. We need some 0-60 vids!!

Old 12-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks! 0-60 vids-- I will see what I can do. I can tell you it's a hell of a lot faster! What's a good way to do it? I mean, where do you steady the camera?

Old 12-06-2008, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
The only whining I want to hear from now on is from your SC.

VID VID VID so we can hear some whining!

Old 12-06-2008, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jsensk
Thanks! 0-60 vids-- I will see what I can do. I can tell you it's a hell of a lot faster! What's a good way to do it? I mean, where do you steady the camera?
If your camera is small enough you can put it in gap between the seat and headrest. The only downfall of doing that though would be that you can't tell what your angle is till you watch the video.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:45 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
If your camera is small enough you can put it in gap between the seat and headrest. The only downfall of doing that though would be that you can't tell what your angle is till you watch the video.
or if he has the ole pedal to the metal the backward g force might shift the camera from its position and make it crash in the back seat.
great write up! im still on the fence between the t1r turbo and the jrsc kit. hks is not an option cause of the fcon.

Quick Reply: Another KW AT kit- INSTALLED!