Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

overheating when driving hard and on idle

Old 12-25-2008, 11:25 AM
overheating when driving hard and on idle

ok i just installed the prosport gauge water temp on my car.
i noticed when i drive hard the temp goes up to 90 deg.C and maybe 95 Deg.C, but the OEM water temp, u know dat little red light dat shows high temp starts to blink. Now this happens also when i am on idle for like over 10mins, but when i turn my AC on the blinkin red light goes away. but wat bothers me is dat the temp is only a lil over 90Deg.C. so i dont know maybe its the radiator fan but i hope its something minor, anybody have any advice???

Old 12-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by NotraFit
ok i just installed the prosport gauge water temp on my car.
i noticed when i drive hard the temp goes up to 90 deg.C and maybe 95 Deg.C, but the OEM water temp, u know dat little red light dat shows high temp starts to blink. Now this happens also when i am on idle for like over 10mins, but when i turn my AC on the blinkin red light goes away. but wat bothers me is dat the temp is only a lil over 90Deg.C. so i dont know maybe its the radiator fan but i hope its something minor, anybody have any advice???
-make sure radiator is full
-burp the system by letting it warm up with radiator cap off

95C is kinda hot

Old 12-25-2008, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by polaski
-make sure radiator is full
-burp the system by letting it warm up with radiator cap off

95C is kinda hot
yeah you might have air bubbles in there and check your coolant

Old 12-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
As everyone is saying, when you installed the water temp tap coolant leaked out right?
Theres your problem. When I did the TB coolant Bypass barely any coolant leaked out.

My car did the same thing.

Dont drive your car with the light on and blinking. It does this for a reason.
Not to mention 95C is rather hot.

Old 12-25-2008, 06:13 PM
i refilled the radiator with coolant and nuthing is leakin, but i dont really hear any radiator fan turnin on. when we installed the new engine we bled out the radiator for any air bubbles. i will check again see wat up, do u think it may be a bug? wat is the normal temperature in degrees celsius for this car?

Old 12-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
A new engine? If the fans are coming on thats your problem.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:58 AM
ok well i found the lil problem although its abit strange cos i only topped up the coolant about 2 or 3 weeks ago, anyways i did wat yall said i let the engine warm up without the radiator cap and i topped it with water but i didnt know i was gonna use 1.5litre of water cos i know i have coolant in it already, then i check the water reserve for the radiator and dat was empty too!!??!! so i topped dat up right to the top. Then i let the engine warm up with out the cap and smoke or i guess it was more like vapours coming out and after a good 15mins. i took it for a run and i drove hard and until now i have not seen any overheatin light blinking, and temp is usually in 70 - 80 degrees unless im on idle and it goes just lil below 90degrees.
i guess its all good and i just gotta keep a check on my radiator coolant often. but .... im still wondering cos i knw my tuner filled it up when we swapped the engine 3 weeks ago.......

Old 12-29-2008, 02:55 AM
Ah you didn't mention you had your motor out!

Last time I did a complete change on the civic (drained the block and all because I changed coolant type) it took over 2 weeks for coolant to stop disappearing. There's lots and lots of little air pockets to fill.

Water? Why not coolant mix? I keep a jug of Honda 50/50 blue in the garage for that very reason. That way it don't freeze the block and crack it in the winter, and the water pump lasts longer than the tires.