Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

So my Oxygen sensor just took a dump...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by kelsodeez
thats crazy that our engines like 14.7 afr. i always thought my car ran lean because most cars are around 13.5 when cruising.
No they aren't.... 14.7 parts air to 1 part gasoline is the chemically (or "stoichiometrically") perfect ratio. Any car that is cruising at 13.5 is doing nothing but polluting, wasting gas, and diluting the oil with gas. This is why there is only one major kind of oxygen sensor (barring widebands). The sensor is designed to "switch" from high to low voltage AT 14.7:1, specifically so that it's easy to design a closed loop system around it. There's no need to run any richer than that at cruise, and some people tune their engines to run upwards of 16:1 at cruise for gas mileage.

At full throttle, though, 13.5 is certainly possible on a naturally aspirated stock motor.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
No they aren't.... 14.7 parts air to 1 part gasoline is the chemically (or "stoichiometrically") perfect ratio. Any car that is cruising at 13.5 is doing nothing but polluting, wasting gas, and diluting the oil with gas. This is why there is only one major kind of oxygen sensor (barring widebands). The sensor is designed to "switch" from high to low voltage AT 14.7:1, specifically so that it's easy to design a closed loop system around it. There's no need to run any richer than that at cruise, and some people tune their engines to run upwards of 16:1 at cruise for gas mileage.

At full throttle, though, 13.5 is certainly possible on a naturally aspirated stock motor.
i even got as high as 19:1 on a few of the motors i tuned before they started to stutter cruising along on the freeway at low load

Old 02-08-2009, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
my primary o2 died as well..my tuner said it was running way too rich ....
oh well...where can i get another one ?
and anyone cross referrenced it with a cheaper one yet?
thx

Old 02-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by FELIXY69
my primary o2 died as well..my tuner said it was running way too rich ....
oh well...where can i get another one ?
and anyone cross referrenced it with a cheaper one yet?
thx
How do you know when the O2 sensor goes? makes me think that mine if probably gone as well...

I've had my CEL on for ever, but when I first checked it was the barometric pressure issue, just assumed it was the same so i haven't checked it since.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
idunno how he checked
But over the last month or so I only get 230km per tank,
and he said the map from before is not the same any more
so he thinks is the o2 sensor at fualt
I'll just change it and c what happenes
I want my car to get 400km again !!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by FELIXY69
idunno how he checked
But over the last month or so I only get 230km per tank,
and he said the map from before is not the same any more
so he thinks is the o2 sensor at fualt
I'll just change it and c what happenes
I want my car to get 400km again !!
Hmmmm... I don't think my O2 sensor is gone, but I did check my latest CEL.. it was P0172 - System too rich, I tried to lean it out some more with the emanage software.. I'll have to see if that works.. on another note, I no longer have P2227 which was the barometric pressure sensor CEL.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:56 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
so theoretically you could run a no CEL then yeefit?

i know explosivpotato has a base map for the ultimate that eliminates the CEL but you would have to fine tune it.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
so theoretically you could run a no CEL then yeefit?

i know explosivpotato has a base map for the ultimate that eliminates the CEL but you would have to fine tune it.
Thats the goal! I am using e.potato's map which is what fixed my baro CEL, and now I think I am running rich cause its very cold out here.

I'm gonna get my wideband installed next week so I'll be able to more accurately tune my car.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:14 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
only 13 more days till i get my turbo and i hope to install it that night.

he was kind enough to send the basemap to me too and i have the weapon r manifold so im really curious what my numbers will be at 4.5psi.

6 or 8psi will come this summer.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:26 PM
only 13 more days till i get my turbo and i hope to install it that night.

he was kind enough to send the basemap to me too and i have the weapon r manifold so im really curious what my numbers will be at 4.5psi.

6 or 8psi will come this summer.
sweet deal man... i went straight to the 6psi map from AJ-R. It took me and a couple buddies 2 days to do my install.. we took our time and made sure it was done really well.. you gonna be able to hit up a dyno before the turbo? it'll be interesting to see what the manifold will do for the T1R kit

Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
im trying to work out a deal now to hit the dyno before the turbo goes on.

i still might be all placeboed up but it feels like that intake helps the fit pull in the lower rpm range.

im curious if i will see 200hp this summer, or at least 190.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:57 AM
That basemap I sent you guys should never throw a baro sensor CEL. If it does throw any CEL, it would be for fuel trims (like yeefit's p0172), which basically means that you need to add/pull fuel to put the ECU's fuel trims back in their regular operating range. I got a couple of those when I started making the map, but was easily able to tune them out. Pull (or add) a few percent at a time until the computer is happy.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:04 AM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
so no matter how much psi your car will not throw the bar. CEL?

im thinking for the guys who want to turn the car up to 10psi maximum.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
That basemap I sent you guys should never throw a baro sensor CEL. If it does throw any CEL, it would be for fuel trims (like yeefit's p0172), which basically means that you need to add/pull fuel to put the ECU's fuel trims back in their regular operating range. I got a couple of those when I started making the map, but was easily able to tune them out. Pull (or add) a few percent at a time until the computer is happy.
Ya, I can't thank you enough for helping out. I hope to get my wideband put in next week and my ESC1 should arrive in the mail soon too

Have you had a chance to install yours yet?

Old 02-10-2009, 01:10 AM
so no matter how much psi your car will not throw the bar. CEL?

im thinking for the guys who want to turn the car up to 10psi maximum.
It will never, ever, ever throw the baro code.

10 psi is a possibility, but you're gonna be pushing the stock MAP sensor to its limits. Greddy has a plug & play one for the EMU that you could use. It will have to be in addition to the stock one, I believe. Also, you're going to have to tweak that fuel map I sent you. It's only mapped out to 8psi or so.

Originally Posted by YeeFit
Ya, I can't thank you enough for helping out. I hope to get my wideband put in next week and my ESC1 should arrive in the mail soon too

Have you had a chance to install yours yet?
No prob, glad I could help!

It got warm this weekend, but my buddy from New Orleans was in town (he hates cars for some reason and wouldn't help me ), but now it's getting cold again. It's definitely gotta happen soon, but first I gotta rewire my gauges. Everything went dead today!
Musta blown a fuse. Damn.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Crap.

Looks like I have the same CEL now..

P2A00 - O2 Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1.

So do I need to replace my primary O2 sensor? I'm still running rich (P0172), could this code be the problem for the O2 sensor CEL?

Old 02-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Been doing some online searching.. and I read in a couple other forums that using electrical cleaner to clean the primary O2 sensor will work if it is just dirty. I would assume mine is since I was running uber rich over the past couple months...

Old 04-27-2010, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
My sensor just went out as well. Bone stock @ 43k. Dealer said 382$ installed! Wtfbbq? The o2 sensor seems to be a dealer-only part? Any one have a link to the part needed or the p/n?

Also, and many of you should find this usefull, it seems the 02 sensor requires a software update and Honda put out a TSB on it:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A07-006.PDF

Old 04-27-2010, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member