Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

AEM F/IC product review!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
When you are looking at the gauges display does the AEM's MAP every go below 6psia?

It seems mine never does even though my scangauge shows 3-4 psia sometimes.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:14 PM
hey guys, I have lurked and searched for a couple days and come up with some questions.

firstly i will be going with the boomslang harness and FI/C, 4get soldering. I have have downloaded the Fic software and have read the post "how to tune greddy e-manage"
good stuff.... gotta search for "adjusting Valves" i only have 29,000km but... hey when in rome....

now to the questions; firstly what fic controller would be ideal? 30-1910 or 30-1911?

#2 would you run the module Artieman suggested if you were not running the cat?
I dont think yeefit was running a cat with his setup.. I wont..

#3 should i get a OBD Scan gauge reader? If so what one would y'all suggest? if i am gonna do this setup i wanna do it right!

#4 pm sent explosivpotato; concerning your current map, any major changes needed @253 ft, 77 meters?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CamFit; 04-13-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CamFit
now to the questions; firstly what fic controller would be ideal? 30-1910 or 30-1911?
30-1910

#2 would you run the module Artieman suggested if you were not running the cat?
I dont think yeefit was running a cat with his setup.. I wont..
nope. get a spark plug fouler and put it in between the o2 sensor and the test pipe. that will fix the problem. I actually had to use 2 for my check engine light to go away.

#3 should i get a OBD Scan gauge reader? If so what one would y'all suggest? if i am gonna do this setup i wanna do it right!
I would. I have the scangauge and it is a nice addition. also get a wideband a/f gauge, probably oil temp and pressure while you are at it. They are working on a new version of the scangauge that will allow honda specific codes to be entered. the ones i am interested in are short and long term fuel trims. Still under development though but they allow a reflash for $25 to the latest version (if it is after 1 year of purchase otherwise it is free i think).

Old 04-15-2009, 12:17 AM
sweet, thanks for the info.

I will continue my search for informed questions... ignorance is bliss.. o ya

Old 04-22-2009, 04:24 AM
Luvs Dah b00st!
does the boom sling harness plug and play?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Yes, the Boomslang harness is plug & play. It would be a pretty shitty 200$ harness if you had to solder.

An update to the review -

The FIC makes my car so much more of a joy to drive... If I want to accelerate from a stop light, I use 50% throttle, hit 3psi or so, and don't have to stare at my boost gauge to try to keep it in vacuum. I rarely even use full throttle anymore because I just don't need to. Also, I don't have to stare at the wideband anymore either. The way the O2 feedback works, the ecu is targeting 12.0-12.4 in boost really efficiently. I've still got boost and wideband, of course, I can just watch the ROAD now instead of my gauges.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:21 PM
good news indeed!!!
You have mail!
no rush on the base map, sill got about a month before YeeFit's turbo setup arrives straped to the back of a greayhound
would a Egt Gauge be usefull for tuning?... to dile in the timing... I have 2 empty gauge holes.. Egt, Fuel Pressure, Oil Pressure... pick 2
thanks in advance

Old 04-25-2009, 06:41 PM
If I was going to pick two of the three you mentioned, I'd say oil pressure and EGT.

I've got Boost, Wideband AFR (anyone whos boosted really needs one of these), Oil pressure, and oil temperature. My scangauge shows me water and intake temp, as well as ignition timing. I feel like I'm in a fighter jet cockpit.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 PM
thanks for the map man

Old 05-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Sure thing dude. Let me know if you need a hand getting that bad boy dialed in.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Hey, I just got back from trying to retune the Greddy emu(with explosivpotatos map) and what a pain! Stock ecu is constantly trying to fight the afr targets I want. I still have codes and its mainly the car running rich and also IAT sensor is high. I am really leaning into getting the AEM F/IC. One question, will it fix the CEL? My inspection is due this month and I need this done right.

I hit 160whp on the dyno at 8psi and could not go higher boost or it would be too lean. I had values at 100 and could not get more fuel into the engine.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by BlueCell
Hey, I just got back from trying to retune the Greddy emu(with explosivpotatos map) and what a pain! Stock ecu is constantly trying to fight the afr targets I want. I still have codes and its mainly the car running rich and also IAT sensor is high. I am really leaning into getting the AEM F/IC. One question, will it fix the CEL? My inspection is due this month and I need this done right.

I hit 160whp on the dyno at 8psi and could not go higher boost or it would be too lean. I had values at 100 and could not get more fuel into the engine.
do it, do it.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Whenever you're not at 100% throttle, the stock ECU is going to trim your fuel back, and it's going to do it really well. That's the downfall of the EMU.

The IAT sensor being high is a wiring or sensor defect, so the AEM won't fix that. The other code you're throwing is a fuel trim code because you keep trying to add fuel where the stock ecu is trying to pull it. The AEM will allow you to work WITH the stock ECU, making closed loop control target the AFR YOU want, so you'll have no more troubles with fuel trims.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:40 AM
5 Year Member
I figured the IAT CEL today was because I was on the Dyno for about an hour. I did not have any water to spray down the intercooler and it was kind of hot. I'll recheck my CEL later on this week. I'm sure it is just for today.

I will buy that AEM F/IC. I'll call up someone I know on Monday to see if I can get it cheaper than 355.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:29 PM
If your IATs were so high it was throwing a circuit high code then you were running some SERIOUS egts! I'd bet you'd make a LOT more power with a cooler intercooler. I was thinking 160 at 8psi seemed low. I make 155 at 6. You're probably smacking really hard up against knock retard.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
If your IATs were so high it was throwing a circuit high code then you were running some SERIOUS egts! I'd bet you'd make a LOT more power with a cooler intercooler. I was thinking 160 at 8psi seemed low. I make 155 at 6. You're probably smacking really hard up against knock retard.
Didn't hear any knocking. Like I said, it was on the dyno for a while. The car has been on for about 3-4 hours. All I had to cool down the car when it was on the dyno was a fan. Yes 160hp at 8psi is low and I had 157whp at 6psi on another dyno with the ajr map. Also depends on the dyno machine. SAE dynojet are usually about 10hp lower than STD dynojet machines(its a setting). I was on SAE. My power curve was pretty smooth all the way up and did not peak and drop at the end. I was using the map that was set for 12psi. Although it couldnt give me enough fuel for my WOT. 8psi was running at around 11.9-12.5 and any more psi...too lean even at 9psi. So getting this AEM F/IC should relieve all my headaches.

The green one was 3rd gear til redline. The bump near the beginning was my clutch slipping.(getting new one installed this week) I did not get a torque rating. I will be back at the dynos again.
Name:  DSC05136.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  184.3 KB

Last edited by BlueCell; 05-10-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
you should use 4th gear for dynos
4th ratio is more accurate than 3rd ratio on the Fit

Old 05-10-2009, 01:34 PM
those runs were with aem fic?

Old 05-10-2009, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
those runs were with aem fic?
Ignore the aemfic on the dyno sheets. It was run with Greddy emu. My tuner just didnt change the last persons file name so that was leftover.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:12 PM
You wouldn't hear knock, the stock knock sensor will hear it before you do and the ecu will pull timing. You'll just have artificially low numbers. Hard to say really what's going on.

Get the FIC installed and do another run! I wanna see what you make at 8lbs. What do you make @6, have you dynoed?

Quick Reply: AEM F/IC product review!