Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

AEM F/IC product review!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 PM
AEM F/IC product review!

This goes out to all the self-tuners out there on the forums. We have a solution to closed loop!

I've just finished returning my wiring harness to stock (which is a bitch BTW), and plugged my Boomslang harness and my AEM F/IC in, and spent an hour or two tuning it.

I have only good things to say about Boomslang. Once I had the old harness unsoldered and all the wires run back to stock, the harness snapped in in less than 2 minutes. It was beautiful! This thing is a work of art.

Here's my outlook on the F/IC from a tuning point of view:

First off, it's WAY easier to set up than the Emanage. You don't have to select your engine from a list that may or may not include it. You simply adjust a couple of parameters in the setup tab (o2 skew in voltage mode, set MAP clamp at 3.0 volts, fuel table load input is MAP, etc.). The only caveat is you have to calibrate the RPM and TPS to the unit, which takes all of 12 seconds.

The big deal: the o2 skew WORKS. I was at 5psi, 50% throttle, and 12.5 AFR and the computer wasn't fighting an inch! Again, beautiful. This has solved everything that was wrong with the emanage so far.

I have put together my map, and it seems to be working great. Let me know if you're running the F/IC and a turbo, so I can get a solid basemap worked out. Anyone interested in switching to the F/IC (yeefit? I know you were considering it), PM or Email me. I'll walk you through the setup/install.

Special thanks:
My girlfriend , for putting up with my obsession and being the laptop queen while we dial in the numbers,
Leonine, for suggesting the F/IC,
RacingImporter - the Ebay seller I bought my unit from. Cheapest price, and he really worked to get my unit to me when there was a delay. Straight from AEM baby! Definitely a preferred seller.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
I was thinking of getting this for my custom fab....but im defenetly getting now eoth the boomslsng kit

Old 04-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Yes. Get the Boomslang harness. Definitely.

After wiring in my E-Manage with a soldering iron and patience, then UN soldering all the damn wires with the same equipment, I will NEVER solder another engine harness. I couldn't believe how easy it was...

Old 04-01-2009, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
send me your map so i can check it out. glad it worked out for you.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Lets get some good maps for the kwsc!!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:24 AM
is there a resistor wired into the O2 wire?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
no resistor on mine.

Hey potato did you tune the o2 map 1st then adjust fuel around it? Seems like that would be the way to go just curious.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
This goes out to all the self-tuners out there on the forums. We have a solution to closed loop!

I've just finished returning my wiring harness to stock (which is a bitch BTW), and plugged my Boomslang harness and my AEM F/IC in, and spent an hour or two tuning it.

I have only good things to say about Boomslang. Once I had the old harness unsoldered and all the wires run back to stock, the harness snapped in in less than 2 minutes. It was beautiful! This thing is a work of art.

Here's my outlook on the F/IC from a tuning point of view:

First off, it's WAY easier to set up than the Emanage. You don't have to select your engine from a list that may or may not include it. You simply adjust a couple of parameters in the setup tab (o2 skew in voltage mode, set MAP clamp at 3.0 volts, fuel table load input is MAP, etc.). The only caveat is you have to calibrate the RPM and TPS to the unit, which takes all of 12 seconds.

The big deal: the o2 skew WORKS. I was at 5psi, 50% throttle, and 12.5 AFR and the computer wasn't fighting an inch! Again, beautiful. This has solved everything that was wrong with the emanage so far.

I have put together my map, and it seems to be working great. Let me know if you're running the F/IC and a turbo, so I can get a solid basemap worked out. Anyone interested in switching to the F/IC (yeefit? I know you were considering it), PM or Email me. I'll walk you through the setup/install.

Special thanks:
My girlfriend , for putting up with my obsession and being the laptop queen while we dial in the numbers,
Leonine, for suggesting the F/IC,
RacingImporter - the Ebay seller I bought my unit from. Cheapest price, and he really worked to get my unit to me when there was a delay. Straight from AEM baby! Definitely a preferred seller.
now if we only had a way to raise the rev limiter and use the springs and retainers im going to have built soon
guess ill ask jet how much they can raise the rev limiter

Old 04-03-2009, 01:05 AM
5 Year Member
how much did it cost ya for the boomslang harness + F/IC?
what do you mean by o2 skew?
does F/IC take aem uego o2 sensor readings?

Old 04-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Hey leonine, I kinda did both at once. I did the math for a desired AFR and then skewed the O2 map to fit.

The harness was 210 USD plus shipping, and the F/IC was 350 USD plus shipping.

As for O2 skew, I mean that I can make the stock ECU adjust for any AFR I want it to at any load point I want it to. Closed loop be damned! The Emanage can't do this.

The AEM can indeed log UEGO readings. Boomslang leaves you a flying lead to hook to your UEGO for logging purposes.

Quang - no resistor in the wire. Just a straightup tap.

And artieman, the emanage can adjust the revlimiter, but it can't do O2 skew. The Emanage has a lot more features than the AEM, but I wasn't using them and the AEM had the one feature I DID want - O2 skew. Maybe you could run both in parallel? That seems a bit much though.

Anyone running the AEM looking into the specifics of the O2 skew map PM me and I'll show you where I'm at. I'm still fine-tuning it. I had it set at 15.5:1 for my 800 mile cruise home from GA, which netted me 40.28 MPG (through the mountains. At 80 mph). Too bad the secondary O2 sensor showed the computer the lean condition and started throwing emissions codes. If this thing had a secondary O2 skew we'd be in business, but as it is I think I'll be adjusting back to the stock 15.0. Boo.

Another note is that when using the O2 skew map the AFR is WAY more steady. It will barely sway over .2 AFR or so, when I'd easily see a very fast oscillation of sometimes over a full point in stock form.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by explosivpotato
Hey leonine, I kinda did both at once. I did the math for a desired AFR and then skewed the O2 map to fit.

The harness was 210 USD plus shipping, and the F/IC was 350 USD plus shipping.

As for O2 skew, I mean that I can make the stock ECU adjust for any AFR I want it to at any load point I want it to. Closed loop be damned! The Emanage can't do this.

The AEM can indeed log UEGO readings. Boomslang leaves you a flying lead to hook to your UEGO for logging purposes.

Quang - no resistor in the wire. Just a straightup tap.

And artieman, the emanage can adjust the revlimiter, but it can't do O2 skew. The Emanage has a lot more features than the AEM, but I wasn't using them and the AEM had the one feature I DID want - O2 skew. Maybe you could run both in parallel? That seems a bit much though.

Anyone running the AEM looking into the specifics of the O2 skew map PM me and I'll show you where I'm at. I'm still fine-tuning it. I had it set at 15.5:1 for my 800 mile cruise home from GA, which netted me 40.28 MPG (through the mountains. At 80 mph). Too bad the secondary O2 sensor showed the computer the lean condition and started throwing emissions codes. If this thing had a secondary O2 skew we'd be in business, but as it is I think I'll be adjusting back to the stock 15.0. Boo.

Another note is that when using the O2 skew map the AFR is WAY more steady. It will barely sway over .2 AFR or so, when I'd easily see a very fast oscillation of sometimes over a full point in stock form.
need one of these for the o2 after the cat
Oxygen O2 Sensor Simulator OBD II SIM w/ Instruction - eBay (item 110371118253 end time Apr-29-09 17:28:31 PDT)

Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 PM
That would do it.. but I'm pretty sure the AEM can do something similar.. Theres 2 extra tables for analog "A" and "B", which can be adjusted in the same ways as the O2 tables. I just have to figure out if one of these channels is free and then what wire to hook it to.

That's gonna be tough because I use virtualPC for my tuning and apparently AEM's F/IC software is much heftier than Greddy's - the "gauges" window causes the program to crash..

Old 04-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
i'm at the boomslang website now, they don't have a harness for the Fit. Which car did you use? Civic?

Old 04-03-2009, 05:25 PM
No, it isn't listed on their website. You've gotta call them. Just ask for the patch harness for the Honda Fit (AT or MT) to the AEM F/IC. I got a cute sounding girl who knew exactly what I was talking about.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
hurrraaayyyy for solving a headache!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:33 PM
That's what I said!

Tuning the AEM is a bit trickier than the Emanage. The Emanage would pretty much work no matter what, but the AEM is being a bit trickier because of the increased level of interaction between it and the stock ECU. I'm pretty sure my spark plugs are going too, as I'm getting what feels like spark blowout at WOT, and that doesn't help. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!

In a few more days I'll be able to provide basemaps and fine tuning for the AEM at the same level that I do for the Emanage now.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Talking

If I ever get around to splurging for a turbo kit, you will be $contacted$ Potato.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:57 PM
I'll be here!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 PM
nice work in solving the closed loop problem, your triumph was the desiding factor in buying YeeFit's turbo setup. much 2 good a deal to pass up.
I wont be reciving his setup untill mid may, so i have some time to learn the in's and out's of tuning this kit..
could u point me in the right direction for some reading material? With the hopes that I may ask some slightly educated questions regarding the steps involved for an accurate tune... the search and lurk shall continue...

Thanks for your time and due-diligence in the search for turbo boost.
Cam

Old 04-07-2009, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
You can download the latest AEM software for free and check it out in preparation.

New FIC Software V.3.04, Full Install Version

There's also tons of reading material on the AEM forum.

Quick Reply: AEM F/IC product review!