Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

My planned turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
My planned turbo build

So I've done a fair amount of research and I'm by no means an expert but I reckon I've got most of the right things to pull off my build reliably. The last thing I want to do is have the same experience as gd3kamiwanaB, I am however trying to learn from his mistakes and follow in his footsteps if you will.

The parts list is as follows:
-Oversize Intercooler
-Custom boost piping
-Oil lines
-Oil pan/sump
-Boost gauge
-BOV
-TD04 turbo
-Custom exhaust manifold
-Custom 63mm stainless exhaust (decatted)
-Flex-a-lite Oil cooler
-Greddy e-Manage Ultimate

Parts I still need to get:
-Forged pistons, either Wiseco or CP
-Forged rods, leaning towards K1
-440cc injectors, probably Bosch
-Light port and polish of the head
-Uprated discs and pads + stainless brake lines.

Is there anything I'm leaving out?

PS. the Jazz you see above is where I got the turbo kit from and is not mine. Also if you're wondering about the e-Manage, I initially plan to run on 0.4 bar boost until I can afford a proper engine management system at which point boost will double for daily driving.
Power goals initially are not going to be crazy but rather the standard 160whp or 120wkw.

Last edited by gynosis; 08-22-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:05 PM
good luck bro. keep us updated

Old 08-28-2010, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Greddy Emanage ultimate is already a mistake dude ...get AEM

Old 08-28-2010, 08:22 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
i dont know what the emission laws in SA are, but if they arent that strict, get an aem ems stand alone, wire up the harness and have unlimited boost capabilities. THAT would be the right way to do it, but really what it comes down to is how much money you have, and are willing to spend.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
I went with the KWSC High Boost and let Hondata reflash my ECU as part of the package.. Except for my motor mounts not being up to the additional power and torque and needing to be fixed or replaced I have been very pleased with this product.... I have had a car with factory installed turbo and there is no way that the Rotrex supercharger and a turbo can be compared as far as the range of RPM that power is available.... You should check this thing out before you do anything you might regret later.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
@ FELIXY69- which AEM product do you recommend?

@kelsodeez- legislation recently brought in an emissions tax, this only affects new cars sold though. Emissions regulations are otherwise non-existent! I've been told by a local tuner that a decent standalone EMS is roughly $1000US and a good one is around $2000US.

@Texas Coyote- The decision is a no brainer for me as I've got a RHD and the Kraftwerks kit would need to be modded to fit properly, also I think there may be clearance issues with the boost piping, etc as my Jazz closely matches the JDM spec one. Even if all of the above was a non-issue shipping, customs and price of the kit itself puts me off, never mind the lack of support if something were to go pear shaped.

Last edited by gynosis; 09-03-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gynosis
@ FELIXY69- which AEM product do you recommend?

i have emanage ultimate now and it's totally not up to the standards
my tuner suggested me to get AEM F/IC
i think most of us with turbos are running AEM with very good feedbacks !!
but i am going k swap anyways so i'll go with k-pro

Old 08-30-2010, 04:35 AM
5 Year Member
I was told it would be OK for 0.4 bar boost, anything higher would require a standalone EMS. The gauges can be run separately from the OEM ECU but thats $$$.

Also the fueling system is a potential stumbling block...

Old 09-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by FELIXY69
Greddy Emanage ultimate is already a mistake dude ...get AEM
been proven...no discussion needed on this....

Old 09-03-2010, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
isn't the AEM F/IC also an 'incomplete' or 'imperfect' solution to tuning the turbo conversion? From what I've read it does seem more capable than e-Manage seeing as how it can control ignition timing in both open and closed loop...

Old 09-03-2010, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gynosis
isn't the AEM F/IC also an 'incomplete' or 'imperfect' solution to tuning the turbo conversion? From what I've read it does seem more capable than e-Manage seeing as how it can control ignition timing in both open and closed loop...
As far as ignition adjustment, it will only cut back on advance is the way I understand it to work... I have one in a closet and have read what little I could understand about how it functions and decided that the Hondata reflash would better suit my needs.. It may prove to be useful when tuning for methanol/water injection in the future.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
again I appreciate any and all input, as I've mentioned before, I'm by no means an expert

Old 09-05-2010, 01:36 AM
5 Year Member
Exclamation

oh hell, so I finally found out what happened with the Jazz's engine (pictured above). Turns out they were chasing boost, ran 0.65 bar and snapped the crank in half!

Old 09-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
have you found a source for the rods?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dewthedew
have you found a source for the rods?
only K1 & Crower seem to make them...

Old 09-19-2010, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
You should keep in mind that having less mass airflow won't require an "oversized" intercooler. In fact, the one thing you wouldn't want to do is have an intercooler that's too large, you will no doubt have lag time building boost sufficiently. Keep it smaller! You can change the pistons and get H-beam rods which will add lots of power.....or you can spend about $100 and order a head spacer shim which basically works like a thicker head gasket. If you lower your compression significantly enough, the reduced compression alone will prevent detonation and allow you to raise up the boost. On the other hand the pistons and rods will allow the same things, accept the compression would have to be slightly higher in order to keep from stalling out all the time. If your throwing all those nice things for power in the engine you might as well look into a new fuel pressure regulator and larger volume fuel pump. AEM has it's fair share of problems, but over all, has the least and is compatible with most systems. You shoud really pay the extra money to have a welder or friend TIG weld your IC piping in as many places as possible. I personally have only one spot where I use a silicon coupler...@ my throttle body, the rest is solid weld. Might want to upgrade the clamps as well if they give you piece of shit clamps! You don't want to blow the pipes apart while driving....not fun! I'm not sure how emissions work where you are, but here in Nevada, you have to get tested every year. I completely eliminated my stock exhaust system from the tip of the engine to the muffler, ran 2.5" SS from dump pipe, comes down and exits out the front of the right front wheel. So, it's short, and most importantly, no pipes bouncing up and down...as solid as can be. Who makes this Kit? I made my first turbo manifold for my GD3, ran great, just made really nice ram's horn manifold, gained 23hp + 33 ft. lbs. My advice would be to analyze the possible failures, and avoid them by learning from ALL of our mistakes. If you know anyone who welds try designing the system yourself, you'd save money and learn from it. I did the same thing, now I'm making custom turbo manifolds for these babies! Good luck, keep us updated