Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Looking for a small Turbo - to reduce down shifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
I thought the hondata for Fit was already out? or you meant he whole ECU system?

Old 12-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
I trust DSMs judgement. I personally like tiny tim turbos, spool and response are very important to me, more so then actual power. I want the car to jump, not stampede!!

I will say this, my buddy shamaus in wisconsin hooked me up with a good T25 and a T25 that needs a rebuild, so whenever hondata comes out, the T25 is getting its chance of glory on my car lol
I appreciate the vote of confidence! There are four T25s on my workbench going for Sale soon alongside other parts.. I think Tyler called dibs on one of them though!

Originally Posted by CuTeBoi
I am craving the information, not just being told what to do. I like being informed before jumping on any bandwagon.

Ok. Now going towards the turbo, where can I get the parts reliably? Can I gut it from an existing car at the junk yard? If so, what specific models? And then I can look at tools and equipment to get the parts. Then I need to get someone to make the header, I assume I rip the header out of the car I gut (if it's from a car) so that a new header can be made from the existing mounts.

Also, reducing the outlet on the air intake portion of the turbo, will that have a negative effect? (thinking slimmer piping to the intercooler), if I have a blow off valve at a lower PSI, would that give me the power without requiring the high fuel usage? Again, looking at just a little extra power, not something too large.

ARGH, this will be fun now.

Well, physics is not really a band-wagon...

You do not wan't to have any point in your charge piping that has smaller cross section than the compressor outlet.

And since the MAP sensor is in the manifold that doesn't really change anything except making the IATs higher by forcing the compressor to have to operate at a higher PR and almost assuredly a less efficient spot on the flow map, larger total pressure drop across the system and requiring a lot more drive pressure.. basically a feedback loop of bad-ness.

No matter what more power = more fuel. Boosting it will also increase the ratio at which fuel needs to be added.. unless you are running a very stable fuel of similar/same stoich ratio.

The "blow-off" valve is not used for controlling boost, it is used to vent pressure and divert air-mass in the charge pipes when you close the throttle to prevent compressor stall. Wastegates are what you want to use to control shaft speed which is what determines pressure ratio or "boost" at the compressor discharge.

As far as the rest of your post, that would require commissioning me for design work. Conversely, almost all the information you need is already on the forums for free, from my posts and others.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-13-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
A bunch of really good, important information + There is no "free lunch."
Thank you for posting so eloquently what sums up the thread idea

Old 12-18-2013, 06:21 AM
Cute you can get the flange for a custom manifold from weir-tech.com. Sorry I'm in a hurry and dsm I pm'd you was wondering if I could get one of those turbos out of your way.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
How can this be worth the money for fuel savings? Lets say you do get better MPG. Like 1-2mpg. You will get 10-20miles extra per tank. Ill be generous and say you save $4/per tank with the extra distance. This build will take $2,000 before you know it. $2,000/$4= 500 tanks of gas before it breaks even, and thats not including the increased cost of premium vs regular or any maintenance or problems that arise due to the turbo set up.

Love this discussion but the end goal and path to get there don't seem to be the same direction.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by cte8624
Cute you can get the flange for a custom manifold from weir-tech.com. Sorry I'm in a hurry and dsm I pm'd you was wondering if I could get one of those turbos out of your way.
Sorry, I'm way behind on PMs here and elsewhere.. taking a few months "off" backed everything up.

I will let them go cheap, under the recommendation that you inspect them and consider getting them rebuilt.

They came off running cars of course, but it's still not a bad idea and shouldn't cost much. They are common and simple JB center sections.

I'll PM you turbo cost + shipping and my guy Justin's information later today should you decide to rebuild.

Bear in mind that turbos are heavy and much of that cost will be shipping and insurance.

At some point I plan to put up a proper classified ad..

Old 12-18-2013, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Everything DSM has said seems to say that this will just worsen the MPG.

OP should just five speed swap his car, get better MPG's and 'better' performance.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Everything DSM has said seems to say that this will just worsen the MPG.

OP should just five speed swap his car, get better MPG's and 'better' performance.
Basically, and I'm probably the single biggest turbo proponent here.

The only way this guy is going to save an appreciable amount of fuel is:

1.) Slow down in spite of the speed limit.
2.) Not pass as often.
3.) Get a 5MT.
4.) LRR tires, at the expense of safety and handling.
5.) Dump more money than it's worth in aero research and modification.
6.) Buy a car that is more efficient at those speeds.