Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

What engine oil do you use for HM Fits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
08 with 176K. Using M1 5W-30 High Mileage for a long time now with no more than 5K OCIs. May change to Pennzoil Ultra.

The bottom end has clattered like a diesel for 100K now

Old 03-18-2014, 10:12 PM
Just got my 2007 fit and think I am just gonna use what the owner's manual says: 5w20

Old 03-20-2014, 03:16 AM
Originally Posted by myfoxmystere
Before you change the oil, desludge the crankcase with GUNK Motorflush or its equivalent. Run it for 5 Minutes, then drain the oil & change the filter. Then add STP to your fresh motor oil, and it should lubricate the engine better. Lucas oil additives are also good, if you prefer Lucas. I've used O'Reilly's equivalent to STP as well along with their store brand oil, with no problem whatsoever. The same goes with AutoZone and Pep Boys oil. When AutoZone was Chief's Auto Parts years ago, Chief's oil was made by Valvoline.
Worst advice in the world. Do not take this person's advice. Never put anything but quality synthetic oil into an ICE. Do not ever flush your engine with any product. No one does that. No one recommends that. Show me the manufacturers recommendation to add STP or some kind of "flush" into an engine... it's insane.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Before you change the oil, desludge the crankcase with GUNK Motorflush or its equivalent. Run it for 5 Minutes, then drain the oil & change the filter. Then add STP to your fresh motor oil, and it should lubricate the engine better. Lucas oil additives are also good, if you prefer Lucas. I've used O'Reilly's equivalent to STP as well along with their store brand oil, with no problem whatsoever. The same goes with AutoZone and Pep Boys oil. When AutoZone was Chief's Auto Parts years ago, Chief's oil was made by Valvoline.
Yeah i'd stay away from that motor flush. If you use higher quality oil and change it regularly you don't need it. If you do that there should be no sludge issues. Go look at some pictures online of well maintained 150k mile motors that have always run good oil, there's no sludge or coking anywhere. That stuff is bad for your bottom end anyway. I use ATF to flush a motor when I first get a used car with high mileage where i'm not sure of maintenance history but I only do that once, not every oil change. That and seafoam.

What makes you think you need to run additives? Just curious.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Almost 3 months of running that Valvoline HM Synthetic Blend oil. It wasn't that dark, just a nice brown color. Still had life in it.

But anyways, I put full synthetic for the first time in the Fit, I believe. I put Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic 5W-20 (it's a mouthful)

Haven't driven it more than a couple blocks but we'll see if it makes a difference. I know the Valvoline made it run a bit "heavy" as in it didn't rev as high. Really can't describe it in words. It was like the oil was too thick but it was 5W-20 as well.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
That can do some serious damage to an aluminum block engine. You can fry a ring and do other damage to your block and cylinder head. Make sure your gaskets aren't damaged as a result as well. Dirty oil wears out your seals faster, causing a greasy mess in the engine compartment. I had Just Tires do my last oil change when I had my tires rotated; I fully understand the temptation during cold weather about not wanting to crawl under and do the oil change. I'll be doing my next oil change myself this week.
I had no issue. Going to monitor the head gasket but so far I see no issue. My oil light came on once again. Going to need to do a change. 10% life left. Checked the oil it's at a fine level and not too dirty thank god. Should last another week. If not Mr. lube it is. I have oil and filter just $20-$30 for service.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GinoLicious
I had no issue. Going to monitor the head gasket but so far I see no issue. My oil light came on once again. Going to need to do a change. 10% life left. Checked the oil it's at a fine level and not too dirty thank god. Should last another week. If not Mr. lube it is. I have oil and filter just $20-$30 for service.
That much just to drain and fill?!

They do a full change for about 18 bucks around here, filter and oil. I mean it's crappy recycled oil but still.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
That much just to drain and fill?!

They do a full change for about 18 bucks around here, filter and oil. I mean it's crappy recycled oil but still.
Yeah they expensive. Mobil1 with filter is $80. Who knows what they will charge just for labour lol.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:00 AM
I use Castrol EDGE 5w-30.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
I'm at 90K and I'm getting ready to change oil this week sometime. Just bought Castrol GTX 5W-20.

Seems like the consensus here is mostly Castrol and Mobil 1.