Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Need upgrade help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:06 AM
Need upgrade help!!!

Hey everyone. I own a 2009 GE8. Automatic transmission. It's my daily and grocery getter. Instead of tuning up another car (the money is going into a lot of life changing stuff. Relationships, kids, insurance issues, etc) I've wanted to do a build or a swap but I won't have that kind of time or money. A few questions for te masses... What kind of upgrades can I/should I make to the L15? And what kind of power gains can I get before having to worry about damaging my transmission? Anyone have any experience here? It doesn't have any power, stock, especially on the lower end. I want to get the biggest gain possible without threatening the transmission. She may have to last a long while.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by Gabewindham
Hey everyone. I own a 2009 GE8. Automatic transmission. It's my daily and grocery getter. Instead of tuning up another car (the money is going into a lot of life changing stuff. Relationships, kids, insurance issues, etc) I've wanted to do a build or a swap but I won't have that kind of time or money. A few questions for te masses... What kind of upgrades can I/should I make to the L15? And what kind of power gains can I get before having to worry about damaging my transmission? Anyone have any experience here? It doesn't have any power, stock, especially on the lower end. I want to get the biggest gain possible without threatening the transmission. She may have to last a long while.
I should also state that the car feels unsafe in traffic due to it's lack of lower end power. If I needed to react by accelerating, currently, I would be limited in maneuvering defensively. Maybe that gives everyone an idea of not just the fun I seek in the power, but the safety of having it too.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gabewindham
Purchase a lighter wheel/tire combo! You'll increase your low end torque and horsepower (to the ground, not engine horsepower/torque), get shorter braking distance, faster acceleration, less wear-n-tear on suspension components. Win/Win...

Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Purchase a lighter wheel/tire combo! You'll increase your low end torque and horsepower (to the ground, not engine horsepower/torque), get shorter braking distance, faster acceleration, less wear-n-tear on suspension components. Win/Win...
That was certainly in the mix. I am currently looking at Ray's TE37's a friend had on his fit for a while. He is selling them when his new wheelset arrives. I don't know if they are magnesium wheels or not but if they are I need to be weary of potholes even more than now. Ha! And Atlanta has pleanty of those.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:30 PM
I would start with a Takeda intake, I put one on my car and it made the low-end and mid range fatter for sure. Definitely worth the 150 I spent on it. Also look into a axleback, I lost a little bit of low end, but doing 70 down the highway is much easier.. + the Takeda more then made up for what I lost from the axle back. Im taking my axleback off today because I need to put a hitch on, and the only one I like wont work with my Medalion
BTW this in the wrong section, there is a GE subsection. Not being a jerk, just letting you know

Last edited by SlowFit13; 07-29-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:53 PM
Thanks for letting me know. I would like the most response out of this thread possible so placing it in the right section is important. I'll start an additional thread there. In the meantime can you tell me more about the axleback. Price, function, whorthy companies, etc.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:36 PM
The axleback bolts to the B pipe, helps out exhaust flow and gives you some tone. I personally like the Tanabe Medalion, it's not loud, looks great, fits great and has a great tone. I dont like the honda look at me sound, this is more refined, dare I say...grown up? I paid 43x for mine. heres a thread for ge Exhausts https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...thread-ge.html