Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Clutch upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:09 AM
5 Year Member
Clutch upgrade??

Looking for some advice from anyone who has upgraded their OEM clutch to an aftermarket.. I've got an 07 GD with 98K miles, so I know in the near future it will need to replaced anyways but I'm not sure which direction I should go. This is my DD, so I don't want some crazy racing clutch that will be uncomfortable after 10 minutes of driving. I'm not running any forced induction, but I do have a SRI, intake manifild, headers, down pipe, and cat-back exhaust so I know it will put more strain on the OEM clutch. I am also looking to upgrade to a light weight flywheel as well, might as well change that with the clutch.. Anyone have any suggestions to what kind of clutch I should go with that will handle the added HP, but not make driving to work feel like a chore? Any input would be appreciated ;-)

Old 01-28-2015, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
i'm in the same boat as you...

i've settled to either get the exedy oem or stage1 clutch... still haven't decided between the two though...

Old 01-28-2015, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
That's actually been my exact debate! Im not sure if the OEM clutch will stand up to the added HP, or if I need to go with the stage 1. I keep getting conflicting answers, so I'm stuck and I don't want to spend the extra money if I don't need to or not spend enough on the right part.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Stage 1 tend to be more than enough for bolt ons. Stage 1 also is good for the daily driving. Also replacing the clutch master cylinder to 2004 Civic Ex w/out a delay valve is a nice upgrade. The delay valve slips the clutch between shifts.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1244618

Old 01-29-2015, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by De36
Stage 1 tend to be more than enough for bolt ons. Stage 1 also is good for the daily driving. Also replacing the clutch master cylinder to 2004 Civic Ex w/out a delay valve is a nice upgrade. The delay valve slips the clutch between shifts.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1244618
Good to know, I kind of leaving towards the stage 1 but wanted to make sure I wasn't spending the extra $$$ if the OEM would work just fine. Will that clutch master cylinder from an 04 civic fit the GD?

Old 01-29-2015, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
I'm impressed how the OEM clothes hold up. I drive my Fit hard especially for AutoX. If you add up practice days and races I average at least a race every weekend (Saturday and Sunday) for the year.

The car is all bolt-ons and tuned as for as mods and holds up well. This is season 2 on the clutch and not even the slightest issues. If you don't plan to race then you can always upgrade. Some race classes don't allow changes in drivetrain so be careful.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
I'm impressed how the OEM clothes hold up. I drive my Fit hard especially for AutoX. If you add up practice days and races I average at least a race every weekend (Saturday and Sunday) for the year.

The car is all bolt-ons and tuned as for as mods and holds up well. This is season 2 on the clutch and not even the slightest issues. If you don't plan to race then you can always upgrade. Some race classes don't allow changes in drivetrain so be careful.
What HP bolt-ons have you added?

Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
yeah i don't think i NEED the stage1, the only reason i was considering it at all was because i heard a rumor that the stage1 had a heavier pressure plate to help with pedal feel...

i'm sure a phone call to exedy would clear it up...

Old 01-29-2015, 09:36 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
anyone try out clutchnet? they are the go to guys for the d series guys. I had two of them and loved them both.

Im considering a sprung 6 pack disk and stage 2 pressure plate.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kylerwho
anyone try out clutchnet? they are the go to guys for the d series guys. I had two of them and loved them both.

Im considering a sprung 6 pack disk and stage 2 pressure plate.
I checked out clutchnet, the cheapest clutch they have for the fit starts at $400 so I think I'll stick with Exedy. I might check with exedy and see what they suggest.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
as a follow up to this thread, i talked to a tech at exedy and explained my situation:

-will be autox-ing occasionally
-possible to do i/h/e and a tune

he said that the s1 would be the better choice... the potential extra power and "racing" would wear through the oem quicker...

so now i need to save up an extra $200... :/

Old 05-10-2015, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cnordt24
What HP bolt-ons have you added?
Wow I totally didn't response and forgot about this. Sorry.

Engine mods (as of this week):

- aFe Stage 2 intake
- MR header
- MR downpipe
- MR midpipe
- JSP Fab custom axle back
- UR pulleys
- Denso IK22 plugs
- DEI gold foil wrapped intake manifold (plenum, runners, intake, and inatke box)
- TS thermo intake gasket
- Torco SR5 GDL 5w30 oil
- Hondata flashed

Just waiting on my WR race header and that completes the mods.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
Wow I totally didn't response and forgot about this. Sorry.

Engine mods (as of this week):

- aFe Stage 2 intake
- MR header
- MR downpipe
- MR midpipe
- JSP Fab custom axle back
- UR pulleys
- Denso IK22 plugs
- DEI gold foil wrapped intake manifold (plenum, runners, intake, and inatke box)
- TS thermo intake gasket
- Torco SR5 GDL 5w30 oil
- Hondata flashed

Just waiting on my WR race header and that completes the mods.
Haha, no problem ;-) We are kind of in the same boat as far as mods go, so far I'm running:

DC Sport CAI
Weapon-R intake manifold
DC Sport headers
Megan cat-delete
DC Sport cat-back exhaust
Razo pulleys
NGK plugs
Flashpro w/tune from vitviper

My GD is flying, but definitely want to upgrade the clutch, get a lighter weight flywheel, and replace the mounts (i've got 2 that are definitely toast) now I just need $$$$ lol