Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

GE Drivetrain in a GD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
GE Drivetrain in a GD?

I'm trying to figure out the future for our recently retired GD3. For it to stay at this house, it needs a noticeable boost in power.

We bought the car new and, from day one, planned on either boosting or K swapping the car once retired from daily use. My thought, that proved to be very incorrect, was that the options would grow over time. My background is primarily domestics where the older the car, the more options. The GD stayed in regular use slightly longer than anticipated because it was a great car. Here we are now, 9 years later, and I can't find a single viable horsepower increase option. To put it in perspective, a 2008 domestic is still basically considered a new car and any parts brought out back then are either still available or have been superseded by better options. In the case of the GD, we had...

1. Very near completion on complete K swap kits
2. GReddy Racing turbo kit
3. HKS turbo kit
4. Kraftwerks Supercharger kit

All of those options have disappeared for the GD.

Some serious head scratching has led me to an interesting thought. Is it possible to swap the driveline from a GE into the GD and then use a Sprintex supercharger kit? If I'm not mistaken, that is the only turbo/supercharger kit currently available for any Fit platform. Picking up a totaled GE appears to be fairly easy. Any thoughts on whether or not the swap is possible?

I know it would be way easier to sell our GD and buy a GE, but we like our particular car. Plus, if the GD gets sold to buy a different project car, I would just go an entirely different direction.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Been scouring the Internet and came across a Top Fuel Turbo Kit for sale.

Looks like very little information exists about the Top Fuel kits. Looks like it would need a front mount intercooler and custom piping as well as probably a Hondata?

Last edited by GAFIT; 09-27-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
Unless the packaging works really well, why bother with the 1.5L from the GE? Sure it will be more powerful, but not THAT much more, and along with the supercharger not cheap. It's a long time since I thought about engine swaps but I'm thinking there must be better options ...

Old 09-30-2017, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
To be honest, I do believe the KWSC kit's brackets are being re-manufactured AND improved to ease installation so that option might still be available. I forget the company's name but they're building twin Rotrex equipped Fit for a member on here.

Even turbo kits don't seem to be too bad to piece together so long as you do your research. I've heard of people picking up eBay kits primarily for the exhaust manifold and piping, ditching the crappy cheap turbos, wastegates, and other cheap items then replacing them with higher quality goods. BUT... I'll admit, I'm not too knowledgeable behind what all to look for behind those kits, what to ditch and upgrade, what to look for and keep, etc.

Flash Pro would be wise to have either way... even in stock or N/A form.

And while I do partially agree with fujisawa regarding the power gain per cost with swapping to the L15A7... You will have a proper i-VTEC compared to our 12/16 valve setup on the L15A(1). With that said... I'd be more curious about if the head from the LEA out of the CR-Z will work with the L15A1.

Why? The LEA seems to be the happy medium of the L15A1 and the L15A7 in terms of similarities. If memory serves me right it has the same 12/16 valve VTEC as the A1 BUT... people in the CR-Z community have converted to iVTEC from the A7.

Maybe we can convert to iVTEC with a CR-Z head? Maybe not. I'm really, really curious about this and thinking out loud here.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:39 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks Hootie! Love the dialogue!

The reason I was thinking total GE swap in my case is that a complete totaled low mile GE is stupid cheap. That, and my GD has near 200,000 miles. Figured I could maybe drop 150,000 or so miles and gain the ability to run a Sprintex for a few hundred bucks.

I contacted every manufacturer I could think of and asked about possibility of re-introduction or the possibility of known leftover kits/parts. Kraftwerks said "Unfortunately we don't have any plans to bring the kit back."

The custom turbo set up is a strong possibility! Especially since I've now sent two messages to the seller of the Top Fuel kit twice with no reply. Too bad because I really like the cast pieces of that kit. Figure it would be a fantastic starting point if nothing else.

After reading up, I totally agree on the Flash Pro. That will happen even if my boost dreams don't happen. May end up full bolt on with a Flash Pro.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
98 percent of a turbo kit is tuning, the difference between a "kit" and a assembled unit it almost Nil. BTW I was looking at a brochure, did anyone else notice honda has eliminated the exhaust manifold from pretty much all their engines? ITs now cast as part of the head (Knew that on the new fit and civic) but the V6 motors are the same deal. With the built in manifold, your basically looking at an adapter flange to bolt the turbo in.. T03 or T04 flange to the honda pattern, (Get it cut at a waterjet shop off the gasket) they also moved the exhaust back to the front so less issues making it fit.

OBDIII is likely to kill any tuning options in the next 2 years,,, the fed is stepping in. Will probably mean aftermarket ECU with a OEM style plug adapter to run newer cars with aftermarket power adders.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
98 percent of a turbo kit is tuning, the difference between a "kit" and a assembled unit it almost Nil.
That is true, if you know how to weld. I should probably take this opportunity to learn how, but for now I do not know how. I would have to mock everything up and then find a custom shop to make the plumbing. That plus a custom manifold and downpipe and you've doubled the price of a kit.

When I see plumbing that people cobble together with misc. piping, couplers, hoses, and clamps, it hurts my eyes. I'm a detail person.

I like the cast pieces on the Top Fuel Kit. Gives a professional OEM look. Amazingly little info about that kit though. I think we only had one forum member that ran it.