Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit issue :/

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit issue :/

First of all, I apologize if my thread is in the wrong section. Please move to the appropriate section if necessary. Thanks!

A couple of months ago I purchased and installed a set of Morimoto Mini H1's for my GD. The retrofit and install went smoothly without any issues. Fired up the system first time, start-up flicker was there so I ignored it, but when I ran the lights I noticed that the driver side flickers. It's more of a pulsation type flicker, not the on/off flickering. And also to mention, the flicker is more noticeable when the vehicle is running, or when it's under load.

At first it did not bother me as when I contacted TRS, they told me it might need a break-in period for the bulbs so I let it slide for a couple weeks and just kept using the lights until it was past the break-in period. Still the issue remained. I did some tests: switched bulbs, switched ballasts, reconnected wiring, relocated grounding positions, and replaced the Morimoto control box (TRS provided as warranty). But still the problem remains.

Prior to all those tests, I did a battery/alternator test. Alternator checked out good, but the tester showed that my battery is good but low in charge. I trickle charge my battery monthly, and the cranking amps always ranges from 450-550/340cca.

I've done all that I can think of by now, and the only thing left that I can do is replace my battery. I'm posting here to see if anyone can chime in as to what my issue could be.

Thanks for your time, FF!

Old 10-10-2013, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
bump

It sounds like it could the wiring (harness or connections)?

Old 10-10-2013, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
It sounds like it could the wiring (harness or connections)?
I actually checked those even before I dug in deeper with the diagnosing. The only thing that I'm thinking of doing right now is stripping the loom off the relay harness and check for pinching/loose connections. It's actually getting frustrating now since it's my first purchase from TRS and it's getting to be a bad experience. And it doesn't help that it's getting colder now so I can't work in the garage for long. *Grr

Old 10-16-2013, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
I've got a slight flicker on my passengers side, pulsating like you said rather than an aggressive on and off. I've chosen to let it slide for now too because I only notice it when I'm right up to a wall. ..

If it gets worse I'll probably contact TRS about it too.

Let us know if you ever figure it out.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
I've got a slight flicker on my passengers side, pulsating like you said rather than an aggressive on and off. I've chosen to let it slide for now too because I only notice it when I'm right up to a wall. ..

If it gets worse I'll probably contact TRS about it too.

Let us know if you ever figure it out.
Ahh! You went retrofit already? Nice.
But did you try diagnosing yours? I tried switching bulbs and ballasts (drivers to passenger, vice versa), but still the pulsating remains on the driver side. Even the TRS reps are puzzled with the issue.

They already sent me a new Control box, but still no luck.

Old 10-17-2013, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, got my ls460s a few months ago. What an upgrade over the stocks!

I ended up doing the retrofit myself and broke one of those clips that holds the bowl to the adjustment screw, so I had to improvise to keep the projector/reflector in place. When I go over our notorious potholes, it does wobble a bit and I think this is what causes the flicker:/.

I will look into flipping bulbs and ballasts to see if it's a different issue though.