Fit Freak Newbie / FAQs New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted. FAQs will also be answered here.

Looking at the Fit for my sister... any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 01:39 AM
Smile Looking at the Fit for my sister... any tips?

Hello, all!

Background
My sister is finally getting her license (at 22, smh) and my parents would need to get her a car for her (and I'm done driving her around everywhere LOL).
So: (about to be) new driver, terrible at parking, terrified of the highway, wants something that would stand out in a parking lot unlike my silver Accord.

She's not TOO picky but is interested in a hatchback, and I immediately think of the Internet's love for the Fit.
A small, but roomy, quirky, little zoom-mobile, with Honda reliability to push it along.
Magic seats are neat-o, too.
She also wants it to be orange (not too much available in my area) or red (shouldn't be an issue) but that's lower priority.

Research
I've been doing some looking around and see that the most common issues are from the AC system (loses the ability to cool and components need some protection from debris, correct?) and transmission (third clutch pressure sensor? change fluid often?).
The one thing that scares me is spark plug blow outs, but I guess that's a good excuse for me to buy a 1/4" torque wrench.
She's not one to complain about hard plastics in a car or cloth seats, either.
We'd take my Accord to and from Orlando, so the noise and meekness of the 4 cylinder during highway driving won't be a common nuisance.

Anything else to look out for? The Fit seems to be pretty undramatic when it comes to reliability. (Unlike the curse of my V6's god-awful variable cylinder management )

Potential Purchase
We'd prefer the 2nd generation for the improved safety, and it looks like a 2012-2013 Sport is our best bet.

There's a red 2012 Sport with 49K going for $10k at an Alfa Romeo dealer (no pictures, though).
And a nice red 2013 Sport with 31K going for $11k at a Hyundai dealer.
Another one with 56K going for $12k from CarMax.

I'm unsure of our parents' opinion on a Honda for $12k, so I wonder how much we'd sacrifice going for a 2009-2011? Should I consider the base trim?

I know some of this is subjective and, at the end of the day, out of my control ($$$parents$$$), I'm just looking to get some insight!

Old 08-30-2018, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member
Well, we have owned 3 of them and currently own a 2016. We put on lots and lots of miles with never a problem. I think the total is around 250 K between the 3 of them. Longest trip has been Chicago to Alaska and back.

Let face it, the Fit is an economy car so keep that in mind when you ride in one. They are cheap to buy, cheap to own, and very reliable. We have never had anything go bad on any of the three we owned. My daughter is the primary driver and does all of the routine maintenance (oil, trans fluid changes, etc.) About the only thing I would suggest, but we have never seen the problem with, is checking torque on the plugs. She checks them every 30,000 or so but she has never found a loose one.

We have never replaced a battery but have replaced several sets of tires. Yokohama Avid Ascend seems to be the best for value and performance. Good traction, long wearing, and low rolling resistance. We have had several brands, including the original junk Dunlops, Goodyear, Bridgestone, and the Yokohama in various sizes. I'm sure I missed a few brands. We have settled on the Yokohama tires in the OEM size for the Fit sport.

I would recommend the Sport version for the extra amenities but there is nothing wrong with the base too. My brother owns a Fit Base. I have driven it too. There is not much difference in them.

When checking for a used one look at private party sales on places like AutoTrader.com. They can be several thousand dollars cheaper than dealers. Be careful about the titles . Look for and DO NOT BUY ones from a dealer or private party with a Salvage or Rebuilt title. They can be a good deal but if you do not have the experience to check one out, you could get into a real problem.

You comment on "meakness" to me is unfounded. I have driven all over the US and in central and western Canada in one. I or my daughter on occasion tow a small trailer or carry bikes on a trailer hitch mounted carrier.

The AC is OK if charged or fine tuned correctly. You have a lot of large windows to let the sun in and a small engine to run the AC. The AC is more than adequate. Put reflective shades in the windows when parked in the summer. I have run ours at 100 - 105 degrees F. with no issues.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:19 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
a 5 yr old car is a hit or a miss at this point. id check the undercarriage for how much rust and decide.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
Don't spend $10,000+ on a 5-8 year old Honda Fit.

Even if they're listed at 10+, I wouldn't pay a cent over 7300 at this point.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
You've done your research and it all seems accurate.

Here are my suggestions...
- stick with the '12-'13 models. Better sound insulation than prior years. Still not good, but every bit helps
- stick with sport models. Cruise control and leather wrapped steering wheel are worth it alone. Wheels and body kit are not a functional improvement, but huge visual improvement to my eyes.
- use Carfax to check history and only buy a car from the SE. Then you have no worries of rust.
- get the windows tinted. Being a Floridian, you know how important it is. The Fit is like a fish bowl. You're driving around in a 30% glass vehicle. Tint the windows and the A/C will be fine.

My Mom daily's a 2011 Sport auto up and down I-95 in S FL 5 days a week and has over 100k miles. Literally zero repair costs and super low maintenance cost. She's got a lead foot so 80mph is not uncommon. While not the greatest highway car, she and it has survived.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by n9cv
Let face it, the Fit is an economy car so keep that in mind when you ride in one. They are cheap to buy, cheap to own, and very reliable. We have never had anything go bad on any of the three we owned. My daughter is the primary driver and does all of the routine maintenance (oil, trans fluid changes, etc.) About the only thing I would suggest, but we have never seen the problem with, is checking torque on the plugs. She checks them every 30,000 or so but she has never found a loose one.

We have never replaced a battery but have replaced several sets of tires. Yokohama Avid Ascend seems to be the best for value and performance. Good traction, long wearing, and low rolling resistance. We have had several brands, including the original junk Dunlops, Goodyear, Bridgestone, and the Yokohama in various sizes. I'm sure I missed a few brands. We have settled on the Yokohama tires in the OEM size for the Fit sport.

I would recommend the Sport version for the extra amenities but there is nothing wrong with the base too. My brother owns a Fit Base. I have driven it too. There is not much difference in them.

When checking for a used one look at private party sales on places like AutoTrader.com. They can be several thousand dollars cheaper than dealers. Be careful about the titles . Look for and DO NOT BUY ones from a dealer or private party with a Salvage or Rebuilt title. They can be a good deal but if you do not have the experience to check one out, you could get into a real problem.

You comment on "meakness" to me is unfounded. I have driven all over the US and in central and western Canada in one. I or my daughter on occasion tow a small trailer or carry bikes on a trailer hitch mounted carrier.

The AC is OK if charged or fine tuned correctly. You have a lot of large windows to let the sun in and a small engine to run the AC. The AC is more than adequate. Put reflective shades in the windows when parked in the summer. I have run ours at 100 - 105 degrees F. with no issues.
WOW! Thank you for this thorough post!
My sister doesn't need tech or luxury, just an A to B, so the Fit being an economy car is great.
I'll be the one to perform minor to near-major maintenance, so thanks for the tips on the plug.
As for tires, my family has run solely Michelins since I was born, and the Premier A/S seem to have good reviews with the Fit Sport. If anything, we'll give those Avid Ascends a look.
As for the meekness comment, that's coming from my experience with my family's fleet of cars all having 6 or 8 cylinders and decent passing power. We haven't test driven a Fit yet, so it was simply a comparison based on cylinder count and power figures.
Windows will be tinted (if not from the previous owner), along with some side deflectors to crack the windows, as with all of our Florida cars.

Originally Posted by kenchan
a 5 yr old car is a hit or a miss at this point. id check the undercarriage for how much rust and decide.
All of the cars coming up in my search are Florida-based, so hopefully there's not much in terms of rust. PPI and other due diligence will be done, thanks for the tips!

Originally Posted by mike410b
Don't spend $10,000+ on a 5-8 year old Honda Fit.

Even if they're listed at 10+, I wouldn't pay a cent over 7300 at this point.
Hmm... I see where you're coming from, while Honda's do hold their value OK, some of these buggers are expensive (despite websites' various "GOOD DEAL" tips).

Originally Posted by GAFIT
You've done your research and it all seems accurate.

Here are my suggestions...
- stick with the '12-'13 models. Better sound insulation than prior years. Still not good, but every bit helps
- stick with sport models. Cruise control and leather wrapped steering wheel are worth it alone. Wheels and body kit are not a functional improvement, but huge visual improvement to my eyes.
- use Carfax to check history and only buy a car from the SE. Then you have no worries of rust.
- get the windows tinted. Being a Floridian, you know how important it is. The Fit is like a fish bowl. You're driving around in a 30% glass vehicle. Tint the windows and the A/C will be fine.

My Mom daily's a 2011 Sport auto up and down I-95 in S FL 5 days a week and has over 100k miles. Literally zero repair costs and super low maintenance cost. She's got a lead foot so 80mph is not uncommon. While not the greatest highway car, she and it has survived.
Improved sound insulation is something I forgot to mention, we might test drive a pre and post refresh to see the difference.
2012 Base has cruise control, too. I'd guess heavier wheels (RPF1s??? LOLOL) might be a factor. Rear sway bar, but my sister is never going to hoon any time soon.
Luckily, the listings I see all have free CarFaxes and they seem to check out well enough.
The fish bowl analogy is great, so much glass and visibility. Tint will be a priority for sure!

From all that, I'm probably going to look for a red/orange 2012-2013 Base if a Sport isn't well-priced, hopefully under the $8000 mark.

Thanks, all!!!

Old 08-30-2018, 04:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
getting repairs done by Gafit can save cost (ask when he visits his mom next time lol)

Old 08-31-2018, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by WILLYumD
... my sister is never going to hoon any time soon...
It'd be the car for it.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Well, one thing I would say...is that IMO the Honda Fit does NOT stand out in a parking lot. Of course I have a black Honda Fit, it might be better if it was Orange or Red, but what I discovered is that the world has a surprising number of clone like looking hatch's out there, that chameleon into the background in a crowded parking lot.
And also, because the Honda Fit is a sub-compact in a world dominated by SUV's...if it get's surrounded by Trucks and SUV's good luck visibly seeing it, in a parking lot.

Part of it might be my growing age. But with the Fit? When I park in a parking lot, I have found myself now taking a few beats to actually "think about" where I'm parked. And memorize some landmarks to help me return. Which when I was younger it seemed I never really had to do.
But I definitely do not count on the Fit...being a Fit...as being helpful in my finding it...if I forget exactly where I'm parked.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Well, one thing I would say...is that IMO the Honda Fit does NOT stand out in a parking lot. Of course I have a black Honda Fit, it might be better if it was Orange or Red, but what I discovered is that the world has a surprising number of clone like looking hatch's out there, that chameleon into the background in a crowded parking lot.
And also, because the Honda Fit is a sub-compact in a world dominated by SUV's...if it get's surrounded by Trucks and SUV's good luck visibly seeing it, in a parking lot.

Part of it might be my growing age. But with the Fit? When I park in a parking lot, I have found myself now taking a few beats to actually "think about" where I'm parked. And memorize some landmarks to help me return. Which when I was younger it seemed I never really had to do.
But I definitely do not count on the Fit...being a Fit...as being helpful in my finding it...if I forget exactly where I'm parked.
My Fit stands out very clearly in a parking lot.

I think that's a you thing amigo.

Old 08-31-2018, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
My Fit stands out very clearly in a parking lot.

I think that's a you thing amigo.
BS,
It's so small...and if you haven't noticed the world is full of much bigger automobiles. There is really no way the Fit "stands out clearly" in a parking lot.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
I assure you my bright orange bean of a car stands out.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:24 PM
5 Year Member
I assure you my bright orange bean of a car stands out.
Hey, I said Orange or Red might make a difference...
But tiny sub-compact surrounded by Dinosaurs,- then the color doesn't matter much.
If you can't see it...you can't see it. I've really learned not to jump out of the car without really taking notice of exactly where I'm parked.

Yeah, it might be age related. But the Fit is the first vehicle I've really had to do this with, and I think it has more to do with it being a sub-compact than anything else.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Are you shortish?

Old 08-31-2018, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
Are you shortish?
No, but compared to a typical SUV or full sized Truck, the Fit is.....