Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Please don't be the guy that drives with your fog lights on all the time!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:50 AM
Thats cute^^^

so why dont we drive with our brights on? you can see better with them most of the time

operative term being "you" as in the "one" using them...

Old 01-04-2008, 04:33 AM
Originally Posted by subyluvr2212
If I may throw my two pence in here for a second...

I drive with my fog lights on pretty much all the time, but there's a reason for it.

My other car, the car my Fit replaced as a daily driver, is a 1991 Subaru Legacy. On the Legacy forum, we have pretty much concluded that the 90-91 Legacy has THE WORST headlights ever used on a production car. It's not just that they're plastic and get yellow over time, the design of the light itself scatters the light VERY poorly.

I frequently missed turns and street signs at night because my Legacy's headlights were so terrible. It's amazing I didn't hit something.

I've literally considered attaching Mag-Lites to my hood and using those as headlights instead of my normal ones, because I'm confident they would do better.

That said, I'm LOVING the amount of light coming from my Fit's head and fog lights. I can actually see where I'm going!

So, just let me revel in my functional lighting on my new car, if you don't mind

After you drive your Fit long enough, the plastic headlight covers will become pitted enough to severly reduce light output. I was thinking about buying new headlight assemblies. Then thanks to the thread https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...light-wax.html
I read about PlastX and does that stuff ever work.

The top of the fog light beams are supposed to be aimed 4" below the center line at 25', so properly aimed Fit fog lights should only blind earthworms since they are so low to start out with.
Perhaps laws should emphasize properly aimed headlights and foglights rather than when front foglights can or cannot be used. In British Columbia one government brought in annual(?) car inspections which many cars failed because of improperly aimed headlights. Alas, the next government got rid of the car inspections. I think a improperly used rear fog light would annoy me more that a properly aimed front fog light.

I know what the rules are in Europe, but on the other hand in the countryside they just might help you to see a deer crossing the highway. And at night in the city they just might help you see a pedestrian (who always prefers to dress in black).

Last edited by cndfit; 01-04-2008 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by cndfit
The top of the fog light beams are supposed to be aimed 4" below the center line at 25', so properly aimed Fit fog lights should only blind earthworms since they are so low to start out with......
.......I think a improperly used rear fog light would annoy me more that a properly aimed front fog light.........

I know what the rules are in Europe, but on the other hand in the countryside they just might help you to see a deer crossing the highway. And at night in the city they just might help you see a pedestrian (who always prefers to dress in black).
yeah at 25'...but you can still see them which adds to extra light pollution and slows pupil recovery, past 25' they dim more but the light is spread higher up. I am absolutely anti earthworms and many days I have been seen aiming my aux's STRAIGHT DOWN AT THEM!!! especially after it rains
I am glad to see that an improper use of a rear fog woud annoy you (you are human) but I'm sad that the front could seem trivial because when its improperly used its worse?
I agree that in the country side our fogs can illuminate dead deer off the road to the side, cuz they are around earthworm height and off to the side. (ooh wait...you said crossing the highway...)HAHAHAAAA
I also agree that they can help you see a pedestrian (even though they are above earthworm height) just as the oncoming vehicle nails them cuz they were blinded...

Hey thanks for the link to the posts with the headlight polish...I found it very useful

oh and out in the countryside I would consider them aux's and no longer fogs unless it was foggy... that one made my brain tingle...heehee

Last edited by Snap Fit; 01-04-2008 at 06:02 AM. Reason: REASONS !!!! WE DONT NEED NO STINKIN REASONS !!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 AM
5 Year Member
if they are only fog lights then wouldnt they be yellow from the factory, i think they are meant to be a driving light since the fits headlights could use the backup, i did turn mine yellow with lamin-x, and i plan on putting 3000k hids in them, and i run them whenever i run my headlights, and im not to worried that im gonna blind someone with lights 4 inches off the ground aiming at the ground, when there are tons of suvs, and semis that sit high enough to blind us all.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ebcspace
in a fog: in a state of perplexity; unable to think clearly or understand something.

I hear there's a special test for whether or not you should use your fog lights...

Caution : If the idea of using your fog lights scares you, please cover your eyes now.

1. Drive down a dark street after darkness has fallen, with your headlights on.

2. Turn on your fog lights, if so equipped.

3. If you see better now, think of a reason why not to see better.

4. If you can come up with a reason for you not to see better, you may be in a fog.

e.b.

you hit it rigth on the nail..well done you

Old 01-04-2008, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
^ indubitably

Old 01-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by ebcspace
in a fog: in a state of perplexity; unable to think clearly or understand something.

I hear there's a special test for whether or not you should use your fog lights...

Caution : If the idea of using your fog lights scares you, please cover your eyes now.

1. Drive down a dark street after darkness has fallen, with your headlights on.

2. Turn on your fog lights, if so equipped.

3. If you see better now, think of a reason why not to see better.

4. If you can come up with a reason for you not to see better, you may be in a fog.

e.b.

Here's a great reason: YOU DON'T OWN THE ROAD! Using your reasoning, you should run brights all the time. Because then, you'll see better.

In fact, using that reasoning, I should be running a big off-road light bar.

Look, there are other drivers on the road, and just because you want to see a bit more of the pavement -- which you shouldn't care about anyways if you're driving for the conditions -- doesn't mean that you should distract others and inhibit their ability to see at night. The more light pollution you put out, the harder it is for other drivers to see.

In short, I'm asking people to think about other people on the road rather than just themselves. There's a scary thought for ya.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
I run my fogs at night all the time. IMO fog lights add much needed light to the fits poor stock light output and they look cool as well. Well mine do anyways because I've got 2500k jdm yellow bulbs and yellow lamin-x on the housings. Cars without foglights look cheaper as well IMO, since it's usually an option you have to upgrade too. About $600 on a fit and $700 to upgrade a new civic to fogs.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by smatts
I run my fogs at night all the time. IMO fog lights add much needed light to the fits poor stock light output and they look cool as well. Well mine do anyways because I've got 2500k jdm yellow bulbs and yellow lamin-x on the housings. Cars without foglights look cheaper as well IMO, since it's usually an option you have to upgrade too. About $600 on a fit and $700 to upgrade a new civic to fogs.
I know what you mean... I got the "special" anti-theft lugs (luckily thrown in) but they were going to 150 buckaroos at the dealer so I do indeed feel less cheap...c'mon I thought it was cute

awww...sniffle...sniffle I think my tiny post about the "brights" was overlooked... and here I thought HILARITY would ensue...

Old 01-04-2008, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gar1013
Here's a great reason: YOU DON'T OWN THE ROAD! Using your reasoning, you should run brights all the time. Because then, you'll see better.

In fact, using that reasoning, I should be running a big off-road light bar.

Look, there are other drivers on the road, and just because you want to see a bit more of the pavement -- which you shouldn't care about anyways if you're driving for the conditions -- doesn't mean that you should distract others and inhibit their ability to see at night. The more light pollution you put out, the harder it is for other drivers to see.

In short, I'm asking people to think about other people on the road rather than just themselves. There's a scary thought for ya.
Whoa, dude. Big rant. He was specifically talking about fog lights, not high beams. meep

Originally Posted by smatts
$600 for fogs on a Fit? Thats a ripoff, even if it's from the dealer (naturally). collegehillshonda has fogs for under $250 and says retail price is $336.

Last edited by cojaro; 01-04-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:49 PM
lmao, i love the "lower" lights on!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan

i'll take all the lighting i can get in this pothole season.
i always drive with my fogs on at night. you can see everything in front of you. if i hit a pothole i would be pissed...its bad enough that the paint on the front end chips so easily. haha.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
someone also mentioned deer in a previous post:

if you've ever hit a deer, it probably came at you out of NOWHERE. it's always out of the corner of your eye, and you can't see it till you've hit it.

my previous car that didn't have fogs was like a magnet for deer. since i've had the fit, and had the fogs on, i've seen them much easier, thus preventing several deer-related accidents. they help light up the sides which is where deer mysteriously pop up from.

if my stock fogs, which are properly aimed, have caused an oncoming driver a tiny bit of discomfort when there are trucks on the road with MUCH more obnoxious headlights, then so be it. i'd rather not hit a deer again, thanks.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by pip_rocks
someone also mentioned deer in a previous post:

if you've ever hit a deer, it probably came at you out of NOWHERE. it's always out of the corner of your eye, and you can't see it till you've hit it.

my previous car that didn't have fogs was like a magnet for deer. since i've had the fit, and had the fogs on, i've seen them much easier, thus preventing several deer-related accidents. they help light up the sides which is where deer mysteriously pop up from.

if my stock fogs, which are properly aimed, have caused an oncoming driver a tiny bit of discomfort when there are trucks on the road with MUCH more obnoxious headlights, then so be it. i'd rather not hit a deer again, thanks.
are you like related to a JEDI? are you like using the FORCE
congrats on avoiding deer hits! Major props!!!
I narrowly avoided one once 100% luck
My buddy in his truck with fogs smacked a poor specimen into another dimension...darn near totalled his truck... where he and I were (two diff places and times) the road was relatively close to the trees on the side...I suppose you would have far more "luck" if there was more open pasture to your sides...

It probably helps to freeze the deer before comming onto the road as it sees you sooner too! like a "deer in fog lights" HAHAHAAHAAA
But That particular view works when there are deer around...not so much in LA...

Last edited by Snap Fit; 01-04-2008 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Because the " edit " button is the new sexy look!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by pip_rocks
I'll do you better: I was riding my motorcycle with some people when the guy immediately in front of me and to the left hit a deer. In broad daylight. I had to swerve to avoid the damn thing as it thrashed about, and there was NO shoulder.

Having an experience like that will wake you up.

At any rate, I learned to drive through deer territory. Fog lights don't actually do jack against deer. Paying attention and being ready to brake do.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
This thread is retarded...
I drive with my foglights on ALL the time because I did the running mod. I like them running all the time.

If you cant see, hit me.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
I have my fogs 100% all the time... 1 i work inside the canyons, the extra light helps out big time, 2 there's always fog in the grapevine, 3 keeps my small car noticed in south central where everything goes even damn rust buckets fwd monte carlos on 24" rims ;-)

Old 01-05-2008, 02:18 AM
I'll do you better: I was riding my motorcycle with some people when the guy immediately in front of me and to the left hit a deer. In broad daylight. I had to swerve to avoid the damn thing as it thrashed about, and there was NO shoulder.

At any rate, I learned to drive through deer territory. Fog lights don't actually do jack against deer. Paying attention and being ready to brake do.
I would have to agree mostly, and honestly luck is a HUGE part of it unfortunately.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Snap Fit

It probably helps to freeze the deer before comming onto the road as it sees you sooner too! like a "deer in fog lights" HAHAHAAHAAA
But That particular view works when there are deer around...not so much in LA...
i always forget how many cali people there are on this board i feel like i'm out in the sticks when i post about deer, but i'm really not at all, they're just getting displaced around here.....oh and yes i am a jedi

glad you're ok after having to do that. i do fully agree that paying attention is your #1 defense, personally i think the fogs light up the sides enough that they help quite a bit.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Originally Posted by Mx6GT89
This thread is retarded...
maybe... but it also looks to be an interesting read into how many people read the previous posts (in this thread and others) or just post, how much gets misunderstood, how people percieve different points of view, how some rationalize, and how some eyes can be opened with different points of view.

Quick Reply: Please don't be the guy that drives with your fog lights on all the time!