Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

need help FAST remvoing tails on 08

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:22 PM
need help FAST remvoing tails on 08

im trying to take out my old tail lights on the back i have all the screws out and its not coming out do i need to take off the bumper ??? please tell me i dont lol

Old 04-28-2008, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
should i tell you that you dont have to remove the bumper or tell you the truth?

u have to..its easy as 123.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:32 PM
ok yea i was just looking 2 screws in the fender wels, 2 alens under the hatch and 2 things under the back of the bumper am i right is that all?

Old 04-28-2008, 04:34 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
you DONT need to take off bumper
i have removed and installed my tails with the bumper on
and so has many others

Old 04-28-2008, 04:34 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
just go under and look up there is a screw in each

ps search next time lol

Old 04-28-2008, 04:41 PM
under the car like up under the bumper?

Old 04-28-2008, 04:51 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
yup lay down, and slide under the car

theres a pretty big hole up there

watch out for dirt falling into your eyes tho

its just a phillips screw,
one on each side

Old 04-28-2008, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member
people go the laziest way dont know why. If u take out the bumper which is really easy u dont have to squeeze urself between the bumper and the body of the car. its kind of hard imo laying on the floor and doing that

Old 04-28-2008, 06:08 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
i actually thought there was a ton of room, like i might set up a little cot and hang out,
no
its not that roomy,
but no screws to get to a screw is easier-

Old 04-28-2008, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
umm aight man..i just tried to help the dude since he kind of already wondered that the bumper had to come off...as i did it

his part to decide which way to go between two options.

Last edited by fits_all; 04-28-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:16 PM
i just squezed up in there and took out the screws but i cant get them back in from there so im gonna have to take off the bumper to put them back in anyways

Old 04-28-2008, 11:56 PM
Here you go. sorry, link didn't work. try again. lol

Last edited by cavie187; 04-28-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Here you go....

Originally Posted by Dix GD3
ok so I found a service manual on here at https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-yourself-discuss-do-yourself-repair-maintenance/4735-downloadable-fit-jazz-service-manual.html?highlight=service+manual
there is a detailed drawing on how to remove the rear bumper.

DISCLAIMER: ONLY ATTEMPT THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, HAVE ALL THE TOOLS NECESSARY TO DO THE JOB PROPERLY. ONLY ATTEMPT IF YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH DIY PROJECTS AND HAVE SOME SORT OF MECHANICAL EXPERIENCE.

Ok let's get started...first, park in a well lit area, turn off your car, and make sure the emergency brake is up...obviously...what you need to do is remove the bumper first. Start by removing the screws in both wheel wells (1 per side). If you have splash guards, remove those too, same screw types (phillips head) should be 3 or 4 on each side.

Next Remove the 2 countersunk bolts with an allan key

Then lay on your back on the ground so that you can see the underside of the bumper, there you will find 2 black plastic...things...anyway, remove them by inserting a flathead srewdriver into the slot and twisting the screwdriver (you can pry it, but you can scratch your bumper that way, so I suggest twisting), once they pop, grab a hold of them and wiggle them out.

Now if all the screws have been removed, the only thing that sould be holding the bumper on are the hooks. Grab the bumper at the corner where you removed the screw at the wheel well. Pull the bumper slightly until the bumper pops out of the hooks...mine took a bit of a pull the first time to remove it. Do to both drivers and passengers side of bumper.

Give another pull and you should be able to pop the bumper out from under the tail lights. this leaves only the hooks on the middle section of the bumper. I'm not sure how other people handle this part, and I'm not suggesting you do it this way unless you are extremely careful, but you can fit a flat head screwdriver in the trunk jam and bend the hooks back, there are six of them in total...after that the bumper should come off...if it does not, try to find out where the bumper is caught and refer to the service manual for any additional screws that may need removing.

With the bumper removed you should be able to access the screw on the underside of the tail light. Only work on one tail light at a time, that way if you can't remember how something goes back together, you always have the other as reference.

Now remove the panel behind the tail light, in the trunk. I like to use my Honda key to pry it open because it's less likely to scratch something than a screwdriver is, but to each there own.

Unforunately this is where my camera died, so I'll have to guide you through with words...on the back side of the tail light there are 3 - 5/16" hex nuts, use a ratchet to remove them. remove all of the bulbs by twisting them out of the tail light sockets. Once you have done that, remove the tail light...may take some wiggling...and be careful of the bottom, as next to the screw that you removed down there, there is a small piece of plastic that sticks through, so don't break it off.

Test the new tail light for compatability with your bulbs and sockets, may take some modification to fit them in (I don't suggest taking the same approach, but I got in there with my sheet metal snips and "adjusted" the size of the holes.) If everything looks good, install the new tail lights (unplug all the bulbs you may have just tested first), start by inserting the small plastic piece at the bottom and then fitting the three bolts on the back through their respective holes. Once it is in place, check the fit of the light and adjust if necessary. Replace the three nuts and tighten. Screw in bottom screw on the underside of the tail light, plug in all the bulbs, and replace the panel.

Remove other tail light, replace with new one, screws, nuts, bulbs...blah blah blah

now at this point your new tail lights should be in place and you should be happy with the way they look, if not, choke nearest victim (this is a joke, don't kill/injure anyone.)

If you bent up any hooks, now is the time to bend them back, then replace the bumper, I suggest starting with the countersunk bolts.

once those are in, clip it into all the hooks (watch out for the once underneath the tail lights, they gave me a bit of hassle), once it is all clipped in replace the wheel well screws, then the black plastic thingys from the underside, then your splash guards and anything else I missed, if it's not fitting properly, then check to make sure its not caught on anything, then push on it with your fingers slightly to get it into the hooks.

Finally, Test all your lights to make sure they work.

That should be it, your Fit/ Jazz should have a sweet set of new tails and you should be getting the warm fuzzy feeling of just completing a DIY job.
way to go!

Old 04-29-2008, 12:14 AM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
both methods lol
prolly should have taken it off in the first place then

Old 04-29-2008, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
yea...i guess he didnt wanted to dissapoint any of us