Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

Headlight Adjustment (its a must!!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
yeah after installing some new bulbs i noticed that they were pointed cross-eyed.. so mabye ill do that this weekend

Old 07-02-2006, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by peterc10
Several people on this forum have complained about their lights being too high, or too low. Electric adjustment allows you to move them from the comfort of your driving seat to suit the load distribution you have in the car. I wouldn't be without it.
It would be a great feature if the US Fits had manual electronic headlight adjustment; but American drivers are too self engrossed to care whether or not they are blinding other drivers.

It's pretty bad here as it is; you have seniors driving around with their high beams on the freeway and lifted SUVs and trucks with headlights that totally blind you.

Old 07-02-2006, 03:08 AM
Originally Posted by Hondyboy
You guys in the UK and Europe get all the goodies! I had no idea electronic headlight adjustment was a common feature. Pretty cool.
It works both ways. Honda do not fit cruise to any of their Fit models in the UK - that is about the only thing I think is missing - it should at least be offered as a factory fit extra, but isn't

Old 07-02-2006, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
there's just far too much highway driving in north america to not at least have cruise as an option

plus canadians get daytime running lights whether you like it or not due to government mandates.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Its to bad we didn't get thoes cool headlights that turn with the wheel like VWs hehe

Old 07-02-2006, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
you guys do realize that the teeth on that adjustment knob matches up very well with a Phillips Head Scredriver right? Much easier to adjust that way!

Old 07-02-2006, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
double post

Last edited by claymore; 07-03-2006 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Nice! I am going to check this out as soon as I get home. Mine definitely need a little adjustment.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
The worst is those bright blue-white headlights. If you flash at them, thinking they left high beams on, they flash back & blind you. I commute early in the morning and get those bozos who fly up behind you and flash their headlights to get you to move out of the way -- even though I'm backed up behind slow-moving traffic with no place to go. I've often wondered if visitors to this country are appalled at our rude drivers. Insurance companies should insist on the electronic adjustments, but maybe they're afraid American drivers will use their headlights as weapons.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:17 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Spam post gone

Last edited by claymore; 07-04-2006 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:19 AM
sam
Super Moderator
Exclamation How about some sense and curtesy?

spam quote gone

PS: Id like some pics if you could about the headligh adjustment screws [/quote]
Might want to consider that the headlights may be adjusted properly and that you may need some adjustment, perhaps glasses

Aiming headlights is easier than properly aiming them. Anyone have some details to share- other than higher? I have a mechanic who aims the headlights as part of service but I know old-time service is sometimes hard to come by.

Some details I recall - check the headlights on a level surface, and don't aim the driver/left one up as high as the passenger/right (and the right one aims out a bit if I recall)

Anybody take it to the dealer to have them check the headlight aiming? Most of the dealerships have people who can do a good job- just not always the person you get to see

Last edited by claymore; 07-04-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:42 AM
kps
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by sam
Aiming headlights is easier than properly aiming them. Anyone have some details to share- other than higher?
http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

Old 07-05-2006, 02:19 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
i am going to have to do that

Old 07-10-2006, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hondyboy
You guys in the UK and Europe get all the goodies! I had no idea electronic headlight adjustment was a common feature. Pretty cool.
On the Fit, the switch for these would be mounted in that blank spot next to the mirror....

As pointed out, they are the law over in Europe. My Mercedes and Citroens had them (Citroen tied it into the suspension system so it was automatic...and now Lexus gives us turning headlamps that DS had 40 years ago...) Mercedes were Vaccum, at least on my W123 300D.

Ah, but what do you expect from the land of "Hyper White" and the sealed beam?

Anyone else remember when the COOL mod was a bright yellow headlight? Used to be required in France, were allowed by law in a few of the Benelux countries, but the US police would harrass you with them, even tho they are not illegal. I can remember getting pulled over about 16 years ago with a car with yellow lights and French tourist plates by a local cop in Ohio at about 2:00 AM, not fun (really pissed him off when there was no VIN in the windshield, the car had no DOT or EPA papers, honestly, I am surprised I got it insured). But, the law says front lights can be white or yellow, so no charges.... You see them here in the US on some motorcycles sometimes.

I have a pair of yellow H4 bulbs that are older than any other car here at the house now....they have a large yellow glass "sock" on them, so I do not think they will fit in the Fit.

Thanks for the post on aiming the lights, I will do it one of these nites!

Old 08-02-2006, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
I believe the earlier posted diagram is for the non-NA fit, as it shows two adjustment points, and access from the top.

For those with a NA Fit, who wish to adjust them on their own, here's a couple of pictures, using my car as an example:

The label that you see, showing "Up (left arrow)" and "Down (right arrow)" refers to the direction that you should see the gear teeth moving, as viewed from the top of the gear. So, for the headlights to move "Up", the gear moves left.

Some have suggested that you mark your phillips-head screwdriver, and count the number of times you rotate the screwdriver. That didn't work for me, because the screwdriver would slip sometimes, and I wouldn't get a proper count. It was also hard to keep track of the screwdriver mark, while trying to keep an eye on how far up the headlight beam was working its way up my brick wall.

I found it easiest to place a mark on the edge of the "gear", and then keep track of the number of times it spun around instead. I was running about 12 wrist twists of the screwdriver, to make one full rotation of the "gear."

On the driver's side, you have to rotate the screwdriver, so that you get the same effect (gear rotating to the left, as viewed from the top, to raise the headlights):

This is what lurks beneath the plastic shield on the driver's side. It really makes it a pain in the butt to see what's going on, underneath it. You can also see where I marked the gear, and added the left/up, right/down sticker:

If this helps at least one other person, I'll be a happy camper!

Last edited by DewaltDakota; 08-15-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Great job DewaltDekota...this will definitely help me out...THANKS!

Old 08-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by DewaltDakota

If this helps at least one other person, I'll be a happy camper!
You get good guy points for this - THANKS

Old 08-04-2006, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
I just adjusted mine, I went up 4 turns of the gear on each side. The gear has a "dot" on it, which makes it easy to keep track of how far you go. I'll report back on how that looks driving tonight.

John

Old 08-11-2006, 02:26 AM
Thank you DDakota.
I wanted confirmation of what I am about to do and you just showed me
in living color!!

Old 08-11-2006, 07:12 AM
you rock, thanks

Quick Reply: Headlight Adjustment (its a must!!!!)