Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

100w 8 ohm load resistor fix hyperflash?

  #1  
Old 02-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 28
100w 8 ohm load resistor fix hyperflash?

I wanted to run this by someone more knowledgable than I. I ran LED turn signal bulbs in my Acura front and back with one 100w 8 ohm non-inductive load resistor on each side. This should also work for the fit correct? I know people use two 50w 6 ohm resistors. Can I get away with one?
 
  #2  
Old 02-21-2017, 09:51 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Vermont, USA
Posts: 1,199
You need a resistor that approximates the impedance of the original light bulb, connected in parallel across the LED. (Well, it really should be a bit higher impedance so the parallel combination is equivalent to the original bulb.)

Typical turn signal bulbs are around 25W at 12.8V or so, which means they'd have a resistance of around 6.5Ω or so. An 8Ω resistor may work out fine particularly if you're replacing only the front or the back turn signals with LEDs; if doing both, I suspect you'd still have high speed flashing with it. (The 100W power rating is very much overkill, but that's not a problem. You'd have to have the vehicle electrical system operating at around 28V for this resistor to dissipate 100W.)

I'm not positive that the front and back turn signals are on the same circuit on the Fit, though I suspect that's the case; it would be a quite unusual and strange wiring setup if they weren't.
 
  #3  
Old 02-21-2017, 10:56 PM
xxryu139xx's Avatar
Super Moderator
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Union, NJ
Posts: 3,340
i have a triton v3 switchback and did not use the included resistor for them and no hyperflashing. try without the resistor first before u go make one.
 
  #4  
Old 02-22-2017, 06:58 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
You need a resistor that approximates the impedance of the original light bulb, connected in parallel across the LED. (Well, it really should be a bit higher impedance so the parallel combination is equivalent to the original bulb.)

Typical turn signal bulbs are around 25W at 12.8V or so, which means they'd have a resistance of around 6.5Ω or so. An 8Ω resistor may work out fine particularly if you're replacing only the front or the back turn signals with LEDs; if doing both, I suspect you'd still have high speed flashing with it. (The 100W power rating is very much overkill, but that's not a problem. You'd have to have the vehicle electrical system operating at around 28V for this resistor to dissipate 100W.)

I'm not positive that the front and back turn signals are on the same circuit on the Fit, though I suspect that's the case; it would be a quite unusual and strange wiring setup if they weren't.
Thanks for your reply. I still don't understand the whole ohm thing. I used this same resistor in my Acura which had the exact same bulbs and ran LED's both front and back with no hyper flashing. The reason I like it it because it is massive and dissipates the heat really well. I would also rather stick it in the rear as I can hide it better/ keep it out of the weather.
 
  #5  
Old 02-22-2017, 07:02 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 28
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx View Post
i have a triton v3 switchback and did not use the included resistor for them and no hyperflashing. try without the resistor first before u go make one.
I tested them and they do hyperflash. I might take a look at the Tritons, where did you get them? The switchbacks I found are 4100k which I like better.
 
  #6  
Old 02-22-2017, 09:40 PM
xxryu139xx's Avatar
Super Moderator
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Union, NJ
Posts: 3,340
Originally Posted by It's Me View Post
I tested them and they do hyperflash. I might take a look at the Tritons, where did you get them? The switchbacks I found are 4100k which I like better.
vleds.com

they are pricey.
 
  #7  
Old 02-24-2017, 08:34 AM
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,509
A 6 ohm 50 watt resistor should work better. 100 watt 8 ohm is simply too big overkill. I use the ones below with Type A switchbacks in the front and two red LEDs for the back. Love them!

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...g-fix/190/831/
 
  #8  
Old 08-06-2018, 04:01 PM
bdcheung's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 125
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985 View Post
A 6 ohm 50 watt resistor should work better. 100 watt 8 ohm is simply too big overkill. I use the ones below with Type A switchbacks in the front and two red LEDs for the back. Love them!

https://www.superbrightleds.com/

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...g-fix/190/831/
I know the resister has to be wired up in parallel with the bulb -- for the front DRL / turn signal, do you know which wire is the power for the flashing turn signal?
 
  #9  
Old 08-06-2018, 04:07 PM
bdcheung's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 125
Nevermind -- it's the middle one.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jbsf3
Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination
4
10-22-2015 12:08 PM
XXXG-00W0
2nd Generation (GE 08-13)
7
11-25-2014 01:42 AM
thefit09
2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum
11
08-09-2012 05:36 PM
Cachupin
1st Generation (GD 01-08)
8
07-05-2010 10:10 PM
kakrohn
Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination
2
04-05-2010 07:18 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 100w 8 ohm load resistor fix hyperflash?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.