Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Relocate Amp 2009 Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Relocate Amp 2009 Fit Sport

Hello all,

I just picked up a 2009 Fit Sport yesterday, and I'm enjoying the car quite a bit.

The guy I bought it from had replaced the speakers, and put in a Kicker DX 200.4 amp. He said he had it installed at Fry's, and they mounted the amp to the back of the back seat.

I think it sounds good, certainly better than stock, but I'd like to get it out of the way for when seats are down. Plus I plan on ordering Clazzios for the car, and I think the amp would obstruct them.

I don't want to take out the spare, so I'm trying to figure out where I could feasibly mount this, so it's out of the way of any cargo storage. I don't mind undertaking the task myself, but I'm not sure where it can feasibly go.

The dimensions are listed as: 10-1/4" X 8-5/16" X 2-1/8"

I want to do a few other things with the Fit, but this is number one.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback, and do apologize in advance if I've overlooked threads that spell this out for me.

Thanks,

Kyle

Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know if the GE has any room like the GD but there might be enough room to mount it behind the panel on the passenger side. It would be difficult to get to for adjustments and it may run hot but it would be out of the way. You also could look if it will fit inside the spare tire, but you may run into trouble if you ever have a flat. With a little effort you could make some quick disconnects and make it removable.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
If you aren't bad with a hammer or Saw, you could replace the trunk floor with a slightly raised MDF floor that the amp could sit under. Make sure there's a few Vent holes or put a grate in with a small fan.

~SB

Old 07-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks for both ideas. I'm not handy enough with hammer and saw to build anything like that, but thanks for the idea Specboy.

I'd really like to keep it out of the spare, as I'd really like to keep the spare in there.

The door option sounds pretty intense as well, but something I'll look into.

Does GE (generation E) refer to 2009+?

Thanks guys,

Kyle

Old 07-07-2011, 12:03 AM
it seems like the amp might be small enough to fit into the spare tire. you could buy a small piece of 1/2"-3/8" thick plywood and mount it upside down in the spare tire. you might have to remove those 4 small pieces of foam that touch the tire to make the plywood fit, you may also have to cut it.. Honestly i think that is your best option to get it out of sight and out of the way.

^ this option keeps the spare tire intact and in the car. Try test fitting the amp upside down and into the spare tire's diameter.

Last edited by LeafEater; 07-07-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by LeafEater
it seems like the amp might be small enough to fit into the spare tire. you could buy a small piece of 1/2"-3/8" thick plywood and mount it upside down in the spare tire. you might have to remove those 4 small pieces of foam that touch the tire to make the plywood fit, you may also have to cut it.. Honestly i think that is your best option to get it out of sight and out of the way.

^ this option keeps the spare tire intact and in the car. Try test fitting the amp upside down and into the spare tire's diameter.
This is another interesting idea, but it sounds more feasible for me to be able to actually do, and it's not too far (distance wise) from where the amp resides now.

I'll go dig around in there and see what the spacing looks like. If it's mounted securely enough, I imagine it would be stable enough.

Thanks for the idea, will report back.

-Kyle

Old 07-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Just found this thread that goes into what LeafEater is talking about.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1010594

It also makes me better understand SpecBoy's mdf floor idea, which in theory doesn't sound that difficult. Plus I have the rubber tray. I just don't have the tools to cut out a new floor, though it sounds like a sturdy pretty painless idea.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Yesterday I bought some bolts, washers, and nuts for $1.30, then re-mounted the amp to the underside of spare tire cover. After everything was attached, I felt very confident that it was secure. It also didn't feel too heavy for the cover either.

I'm content with the amp hidden away, and can now throw some Clazzios in

-Kyle