Fit Photos & Videos Threads for displaying photos and videos of the Honda Fit/Jazz

The Late Bloomer: Hootie's 2008 GD3 Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by onemiglandicho
Just to clarify, the part number for the rear brake bleeder screw is 43352-568-003 for both GD and GE. The part number that was listed above is the rubber cap for the bleeder screw.
^^ Hey, thanks for posting the correct part number. Again, I was having issues sourcing the correct Honda part number during that search. Corrected the part number in my previous post.

Update: The Carbotech 913 shoes are ON. ... but the rear brakes squeak like hell now.

The initial install attempt, kept getting interrupted by coworkers and didn't even disassemble one darn side. Second attempt got the 913 shoes installed on both sides thanks to the help of a few friends at MSR Houston (thanks again guys ^.^). They still squealed at that time even after lubricating the 6 points on the backing plate where the shoes contact.

Later inspected the shoes, re-lubricated the 6 points as well as adjusted the adjustment fork for the shoes and they're still currently squeaking/chirping on while driving. No signs of abnormal wear on the inside of the drums or on the shoes themselves plus everything is secure on both sides. Finally got a case of the "F**k Its" and left it alone for now. Might have to lubricate both sides of the adjuster where the shoes touch... Don't want to think too much about that headache at this time though, they may also just need bedding in since they are a more aggressive compound and I didn't turn or replace the drums.

Name:  IMAG0466_zps9b0b9d18.jpg
Views: 1577
Size:  54.0 KB

Soooo.... on to today, I decided to take a road trip. I'm to heading to The Tail of the Dragon this weekend and should be there a day or two (haven't decided yet) since I had a late start today and hung out with local Texas FF member backwoods but will be there... eventually. Currently calling it a night in North Louisiana for now, will continue the trip to TOTD tomorrow after visiting some family.

Here's a couple of pictures for now, I'm calling it a night.

Name:  IMAG0470_zpsa8faeade.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0471_zpsbdc7a5ca.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  103.4 KB

Old 10-04-2013, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Had a blast Kelan! Safe travels, hopefully you swing back through

Old 10-04-2013, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Nice video Hootie. Good run!

Old 10-05-2013, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by backwoods
Had a blast Kelan! Safe travels, hopefully you swing back through
Likewise dude! I'll passing through likely Monday evening. I made some SERIOUS time up on I-10 and highway 165 yesterday since they reconstructed the roads and bumped up the speed limit.

Originally Posted by Subie
Nice video Hootie. Good run!
Thanks Subie! It was a fun "shake down" session... Today will be a more interesting test though. It looks like I'm about 20 to 30 miles from the Tail of the Dragon at this time, I'll be cleaning up the Fit a bit and heading out there once this dense fog lifts up.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Hey everyone, finally updating after my trip to the Dragon.

The trip itself was quite a lengthy journey at roughly 1k miles/12 to 14 hrs one way but for me was well worth the drive. Got to see some family members, a few friends, chat with driving enthusiastic from both the automotive and motorcycle crowds, and finally enjoying some amazing driving roads with some astounding scenic view points.

Day: Saturday, October 5th, 2013

I had left my hotel in Cleveland, TN and took highway 411 until it met highway 72. Which point I hopped on 72 and followed it until it spits you out right onto highway 129 (Road the Dragon is on). You'll know you're at the right place if you take this route since you'll see the Dragon Pit Inn & BBQ and a couple of other Dragon related shoppes near the intersection. If anyone reading goes to the Dragon Pit Inn & BBQ, try their Pulled Port BBQ sandwich. It is AWESOME!

Once I found the Inn I was in the area of the Dragon for a few hours on Saturday, Oct. 5th, 2013... from roughly 1 PM to 4 or 5 PM Eastern Time. Started out with checking out the scenery...

After, this I proceeded south on 129 to hunt down this Dragon everyone speaks of. During that hunt, beginning just south of the Inn, highway 129 greeted me with a light warm up sweepers with mild elevation changes as it snakes its way through the woods. Then after hard left hander, 129 allowed me to pick up the pace by straightening out a little as it began to run me along a river and several rock faces... still providing some astounding views as I cruised along causally at 55 MPH with the windows down and tunes going. Occasionally stopping for a quick pic.

It was quite an enjoyable drive but 10 minutes into it, I began to second guess myself and was wondering if I was going the right direction or not. During those thoughts the river suddenly disappears from view, trees began to thicken along the road way, and the roadway ahead was significantly darker with the only clear visible object in sight being a yellow cautionary sign declaring "Curves - 11 miles ahead"... I have found the beast.

Site note: At this point I am at the purple circle on the map and heading to my turn around point at the red circle.

I slowed to 30 and began to get myself focused... Ensured my seat was in a supportive position, tightened my seat belt, turned on my lights, turned the road map display on the Pioneer head unit to have a vague idea of the road ahead and dropped down to 2nd gear as eagerly awaited the apex of the first right hander. As soon as I seen the clear stretch of roadway, I went for it. For what felt like a solid five minutes was a constant uphill burn, didn't have to use the brakes too much as the high torque compound of the Carbotechs would scrub off too much speed and momentum so I mostly did a combination of trail and engine braking.

The road briefly leveled out as I approached a bridge which overlooked the Dragon. "That wasn't so bad..." I thought as I crossed the bridge, passing someone's Milano Red GD3 with a JDM front and J's Racing goods as I drove along (Danyelle's Fit I believe it was/is?). Then the road begins to go downhill, I shift into 3rd gear and continue taking the Dragon on; this began the sections of hairpins and more blind sweepers. I keep on at a steady yet cautious pace negotiating these corners which are seeming to increase in difficulty as I drive further and further along the Dragon; the road's elevation keeps drastically changing from semi-flat to steep, uphill to downhill all in a matter of a couple of corners.

At this point, I'm roughly a third of the way through the Dragon... Its here were this bastard of a road threw an interesting monkey wrench. I pass my first photography tent, placed around "Triple Apex Corner" I was greeted by a sudden drop in elevation,a right hand sweeper, and a series of S-bends going uphill then finally "calming" down. Once I entered "The Little Whip", the gloves finally came off...

I drop into 2nd gear, clip the apex and flat foot it up hill yet again with all 109 Flash Pro'ed horses moving my little VBP along as I entered the uphill S-bends, approaching "Guard Rail Cliff". The Ground Control coilovers, Tokico Dampers, Yokohama Advan Neovas, and Progress rear sway bar keeping the GD3 planted as I darted through and tagged the Carbotechs for the next bend. The Dragon at this point, was feeling much like an Autocross course to me at this point with massive inclines as I continue South hammering away at the road for the next 4 miles; at some points, I had to resort to actually look up/down and out of the passenger side window just to look further down the road and watch for traffic.

Within 3 miles of the Tennessee/North Carolina state line the Dragon began to simmer down again. The inclines weren't as sharp as they were previously, the hairpins not as tight, the S-bends not as treacherous. The Dragon was admitting defeat as I crossed into North Carolina grinning ear to ear with my trusty Vivid Blue buddy of mine for nearly 6 years never missing a beat the entire run (both North and South), practically begging for more as each bend came and went.

I stopped at a large open area about 2 miles South of the motorcycle resort to let my brakes cool for a bit and to snap some pictures. The entire time, feeling proud that my little GD drove a thousand miles without issues AND ran this technical road FINE.

After the brakes have cooled and pictures were snapped. I popped the Go Pro on the roof and played a little on the return run. Video isn't posted yet, I have to find a video editor program that works with Windows 8. The editor on my lap top always crashes within 10 seconds of use for some reason.

In addition to that, I also happened to stumble upon a CR-Z running the Dragon. The car had a few goodies done to it like OEM Honda accessory lip kit, 235/35R17s (I think), Hondata Flash Pro and few other goods that escape my mind at this time. Had a good chat with the gentleman that owned the vehicle. He was new to Hondas and had recently acquired the vehicle with the plans to make a it "fun daily driver/dragon runner". Photo credit to Killboy for this picture, grabbed it off his Facebook page.

But all in all, the trip was definitely worth while in my honest opinion. Great road, amazing views, and good food along the way... overall a great experience.

... More than likely heading there again same time next year with some friends and a few changes. Stay tuned...

Last edited by Hootie; 10-13-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Well done sir, well done indeed. Quite a bonding experience.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:13 AM
Banned
Sounds like you had one hell of a trip.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
looks like a blast

did you plastidip your foglight housings?

Old 10-14-2013, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, the trip was amazing. Was really surprised how the Fit remained fairly comfortable the entire trip despite the spring rates I'm running.

Originally Posted by apexanimal
did you plastidip your foglight housings?
Nope, they're OEM Fit Base accessory housings with smoked Lamin-x protective films. I switch back and forth between my OEM VBPs just for a little change of pace.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Nice trip this was the first year since 2010 that I did not go down there for Miatas at the Gap never had a car in 2nd gear so much but the Miata likes to be be rev high. But I would like to take the Fit down there driving the Miata 800 mile straight through gets a little rough on the body. Again great pictures where did you end up staying for your trip?

Old 10-15-2013, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Nice trip this was the first year since 2010 that I did not go down there for Miatas at the Gap never had a car in 2nd gear so much but the Miata likes to be be rev high. But I would like to take the Fit down there driving the Miata 800 mile straight through gets a little rough on the body. Again great pictures where did you end up staying for your trip?
800 miles? That's just around the block. Definitely drive the Fit down to the Dragon, you will not be disappointed in terms of how fun it is to drive and how well the car, be it GD or GE, corners and is a great road trip car (unless you try to chase bikes downhill, then you may want more power ). It'll be a familiar vibe for you once you go, the Fit is just as rev happy but heavier and front wheel drive of course.

I stayed at the Wingate Inn by Wyndham in Cleveland, TN which was JUST off the interstate. It was a great little place, very nice and clean rooms that was near multiple food places within walking distance or a short less than 5 minute drive. Definitely would stay there again.

Only complaints during my stay... The A/C worked too damn well in the room (I hate the cold and set the room temp to 85 just to sleep >.<) which had me literally trembling when I came back from a quick food run my first night and it was a good hour or so drive from the Dragon so I'll be looking for a closer but similar location to stay at next year.

Thank you for liking my pictures by the way! a

Old 10-15-2013, 02:12 AM
Excellent pictures you have out there. looking extremely good. I wish i had purchased it in that color.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
800 miles? That's just around the block. Definitely drive the Fit down to the Dragon, you will not be disappointed in terms of how fun it is to drive and how well the car, be it GD or GE, corners and is a great road trip car (unless you try to chase bikes downhill, then you may want more power ). It'll be a familiar vibe for you once you go, the Fit is just as rev happy but heavier and front wheel drive of course.

I stayed at the Wingate Inn by Wyndham in Cleveland, TN which was JUST off the interstate. It was a great little place, very nice and clean rooms that was near multiple food places within walking distance or a short less than 5 minute drive. Definitely would stay there again.

Only complaints during my stay... The A/C worked too damn well in the room (I hate the cold and set the room temp to 85 just to sleep >.<) which had me literally trembling when I came back from a quick food run my first night and it was a good hour or so drive from the Dragon so I'll be looking for a closer but similar location to stay at next year.

Thank you for liking my pictures by the way! a
I stayed in Robbinsville the first year at the Two Wheel Inn, the second year at Fontana Village Fontana Village Resort. Your Great Smoky Mountain Destination. Fontana Dam, NC even closer. 800 miles in my 18 year old lowered Miata gets rough on the back. The Fit would be easy I drove it to Dallas in June approximately 1,600 miles one way in 22 to 24 hours straight and 24 hours straight back within 5 days. It was no problem. Sometimes if there is a meet going on you can get a discount rate at Fontana Village I rented a cabin, had to rough it with central air and cable TV not satellite. Has its own general store.

Or join this for a discount Fontana Village Resort. Become A DragonSlayer!

Last edited by cjecpa; 10-15-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
^^ Nice! That places looks pretty nice but I kind of want to stay near the Maryville/Knoxville area. It'll be more a direct route for my friends and I since it'll basically be interstate all the way... Plus I'm thinking about hitting up Tru Shine next year.

Anyway, finally got one video up of my Dragon run. This one has some background music in it to help dampen down the wind noise some. I'll post up a music-less version of the same video tonight for those as an alternative option for viewers as well.

Last edited by Hootie; 10-24-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added videos with and without music at higher quality.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Nice video Hootie... Though I feel a bit dizzy now and found myself leaning into the curves... So what were you clipping, 55ish on the levels and maybe 45s to 30s on the turns? Saw a few Smokies on the side. Never been... One of these days maybe.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Subie! Its definitely a worth while getaway in my book. Road trip the Fit over or fly over and get a fun rental. Even change up the rental during your stay by using the old "this car has a ridiculous rattle or pull" routine.

I wasn't really looking at the speedometer or tachometer most of the run, I had just drove the road and was shifting by ear. In most of the hairpins, I was averaging what felt like around 25 to 30ish mid-corner and as for the straighter sections... I couldn't honestly tell you other than I was near the top of 2nd gear (shifting around 5 to 5.5k) a bit and dipping into 3rd before slowing for the next turn.

By that point, I was more focused on chasing people in front of me once the group of bikes came out. haha I think I may have hit 60ish after they pulled off when trying to catch the RX8.

>.>

<.<

^.^

Surprisingly, though those two patrol vehicles were the only two I seen the ENTIRE time I was in the area.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Hahah! If I ever go, it'll have to be with my WRX. Gotta go through the gears, stroke the stick, feel the downshift and hear the engine brake... (Spill the coffee and scatter the snacks on the floor, etc. etc...)

Old 10-26-2013, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TamekaMaines
Excellent pictures you have out there. looking extremely good. I wish i had purchased it in that color.
Hey hey, thank you for checking out my pictures and thread! Vivid Blue Pearl is definitely great color for the GD3 especially when freshly waxed or washed.

Originally Posted by Subie
Hahah! If I ever go, it'll have to be with my WRX. Gotta go through the gears, stroke the stick, feel the downshift and hear the engine brake... (Spill the coffee and scatter the snacks on the floor, etc. etc...)
That's even better! A WRX should be able to stick to the Dragon like a booger on a classroom wall.

Anyway, no new updates or changes as of yet. Currently saving up and waiting for some parts to come trickling in.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:15 AM
I bet tracking the car was fun.. Lots of BMWs there.. I miss those days.. too bad I have an Auto and tracking would be a pain for me.. Nice wheels btw

Old 11-03-2013, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by geonator
I bet tracking the car was fun.. Lots of BMWs there.. I miss those days.. too bad I have an Auto and tracking would be a pain for me.. Nice wheels btw
Thanks! It was a fun event, I actually beat a few Coopers and even a BMW 335i time wise. haha Race results are here. (<---Clicky)

P.S. - My GD3 is an auto as well. Other than the downshift lockout, no complaints.

Quick Reply: The Late Bloomer: Hootie's 2008 GD3 Build