Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

DIY- Monroe Rear Air Shocks w/Photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
i'd do this mod if i didn't just order coilovers. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

Old 05-22-2008, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
My initial impressions...

I just installed these today. I quickly found that running these shocks at anything less than roughly 35psi results in an oscillating condition at the rear of the car, to the point where it may become dangerous. I highly recommend anyone installing these to be vigilant towards pressure settings.

For reference, I wasn't carrying cargo or passengers when testing, and also carried a fuel load in the range of 1/2 tank to empty. I have found the happy medium to be anything between 35psi and 50psi at this load.

Thanks to Manxman for creating this thread. More feedback coming very soon!

Old 05-23-2008, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Performance seekers, look elsewhere...

I'm sorry to say that these shocks should not be purchased with the intent of having better handling and/or control in mind. My vehicle is stock otherwise and running the Monroes at anything higher than 35psi raises the ride height in the rear to undesirable levels, and does NOTHING to help control body motion over the stock shocks. I'm a little disappointed but I should've followed my instincts in the first place.

With all of this said, I can definitely see these shocks being useful for anyone carrying extra cargo loads like previously stated by other users.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by NJ Drive
I'm sorry to say that these shocks should not be purchased with the intent of having better handling and/or control in mind. My vehicle is stock otherwise and running the Monroes at anything higher than 35psi raises the ride height in the rear to undesirable levels, and does NOTHING to help control body motion over the stock shocks. I'm a little disappointed but I should've followed my instincts in the first place.

With all of this said, I can definitely see these shocks being useful for anyone carrying extra cargo loads like previously stated by other users.
So far, you are a minority of one. Sorry for your disappointment.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Hey NJ, can you describe your symptoms a little more? What do you mean by "oscillating" in the rear? I have experienced nothing like that, whether the car is loaded or not. In fact when I autocross my Fit it is completely unloaded and I run between 20-25 psi in the shocks and I've never felt anything like oscillating. And the ride is definitely way more controlled than the stock shocks.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm? No oscillating here.
I noticed a immediate improvement in 'body control' out back with these vs. stock, yet still keep the ride quality comfort close to stock.

Install error?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
I got mine put in this week and got the car aligned today. With Eibach (Pro-kit 1.6 in) springs on the front, T1R's on the back, Tokico struts on the front and the Monroe's in the back, I'm a little disappointed. It's more with the front Tokico's thou. I have added a load of weight to the car (substantial stereo system) so I'm trying to dial it in as an extreme situation that's not normal. I think I ended up with 35 lbs of air. I should have played with it more, but I think the Monroe's could be holding the car up a little more than the rear springs themselves. If that's the case, not good. I'll need to do a custom rear spring or try a different rear spring. The rear spring I have is a v1 T1R which doesn't drop the car as much as the v2. I have a set of Tanabe's as well I could try. I need more height out of the spring as well as spring rate so the shock will behave more normally.
The Tokico up front turns out, is basically a stock replacement. It provides NO AGGRESSIVE valving. Save your money on this one. Going over some slightly wavy or bumpy roads at a bit of speed caused the front end to bob some. The short wheel base doesn't help either. Coilovers on the front???
Skunks, Enduro's??? Oh God, when will it end.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:03 AM
hhmmmm - seems like only 1 so far not happy with the monroe... I keep mine at 30psi and love the way it handles and it keeps my rear tires from rubbing on big dips!

if the directions were followed - it should ride great! you didnt use the oe bumpstops did you?

Old 05-24-2008, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
I've decided against the monroes mainly because I'm really not looking for the load leveling capabilities of an air shock and I don't really want to mess with air lines and fittings so I picked up a set of KYB gas adjust monotube shocks that are made for the Cavalier. After looking at the KYB's though I'm not sure if they're going to work either. They have more or less the same compressed and extended length as the MA811's but have no bump stop. I'm worried that without the bump stop they may have too much travel and could allow the spring to fall out or that something else could become damaged with the excess travel. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Old 05-24-2008, 10:54 PM
5 Year Member
Order new bump stops from Honda and put those on. If they don't work for some reason, order Chevy's. I'm real interested to hear how this might work.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
now that I've actually thought about what I just wrote, the spring falling out doesn't make any sense but too much compression travel without a bump stop could still damage something perhaps. I don't know. What do you guys think? I suppose I could try and dismantle the kyb dust shield and put a bump stop on it.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by willy65000
now that I've actually thought about what I just wrote, the spring falling out doesn't make any sense but too much compression travel without a bump stop could still damage something perhaps. I don't know. What do you guys think? I suppose I could try and dismantle the kyb dust shield and put a bump stop on it.
Re-use the bump stops from your stock shocks. Simple.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
the dust shield on the kyb unit isn't removable.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member
Can you cut one off and see what's going on? You might not be able to utilize them anyway, so sacrifice one for the better of knowing what's going on. Reorder another if you have to. It's part of prototyping.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
they're completely unaltered at this point and can still be returned. I'll have to look at it again and give it more thought.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I ended up taking apart the KYB's and reconfiguring them with the oem bump stops and dust boots. They fit quite nicely on the car with the exception of allowing about an inch of extra downward suspension travel which doesn't seem to present any problems from what I can tell. The only problem is that it was a complete wast of time as they offer more compression damping and probably a little less rebound when compared with the factory shocks. The end result is a car that behaves in a little more of a neutral manner (I'm guessing because of the added nitrogen pressure) but is a little bouncy with out sufficient rebound damping. The bottom line is that Tokico needs to develop an Ilumina for this car. The front is actually ok for street use but a little more rebound damping in the rear would allow the driver to use a little throttle lift to balance the car in the corners. The KYB's are rebuildable but I'd hate to be the guy that takes them apart with so much pressure involved and who knows if they're revalable.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Nice job. Thanks.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Recently got an opportunity to take some shots for those interested. Here is the Monroe shock with the lines attached with all-weather stainless steel-type tape.
[IMG]
[/IMG]

Having a air valve to quickly add air is way too cool. It's attached under the rear bumper. Quick and easy, but not noticeable.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
nice setup...i just joined the "MA811" club this weekend also but wanted to find out how do you
check how much psi is in the air shocks..i know you check with the valve stem with the unit but can you check it with a regular tire pressure gauge or does it have to be the bicycle pump and how do you know how much is in it.. i tried with a digital and it wouldnt read it and i tried with analog tire gauge and got nothing but i know there is pressure in it cuz i put my air tank i added to air to the shocks at about 22 psi ...how do i check the psi in the shocks..what do i use?

Old 06-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by 07fitsport
nice setup...i just joined the "MA811" club this weekend also but wanted to find out how do you
check how much psi is in the air shocks..i know you check with the valve stem with the unit but can you check it with a regular tire pressure gauge or does it have to be the bicycle pump and how do you know how much is in it.. i tried with a digital and it wouldnt read it and i tried with analog tire gauge and got nothing but i know there is pressure in it cuz i put my air tank i added to air to the shocks at about 22 psi ...how do i check the psi in the shocks..what do i use?
I suggest that you get an inexpensive foot pump like I did. There is VERY little volume of air in the shock system. The slightest leak of air pressure as you attach your gauge or pump to the Schrader valve can empty 20 psi pressure in a second. You need to use a very sensitive gauge, and attach it quickly and firmly to avoid leakage of pressure.

Quick Reply: DIY- Monroe Rear Air Shocks w/Photos