Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

DIY- Monroe Rear Air Shocks w/Photos

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
DAMN IT!!!!!

It doesn't even come close to clearing my race tires... frick frick frick.... I have to pull these things out ASAP for a race this Sat

Old 07-09-2010, 09:16 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
One last thing, this little gem in the DIY.....

This metal bushing is soft- probably a zinc alloy. It has been crimped, or stamped, to keep it from unscrewing accidentally. The Vise Grips will allow you to unscrew it by turning it clockwise (the shock is upside down). It will turn with some resistance, but it is fairly easy once you get past the first couple of turns. The last few turns can be done with your fingers. You will see some soft metal smeared into the threads of the stud, but the threads are not harmed. The smeared bushing material can be cleaned off with the correct size of die, or even a wire brush if you ever want to reinstall the stock shocks.
.... complete and utter BS

You better have a tap & die kit ready if you want to put it back on. It kills the threads.

I had to go out and buy one in my rush, not a happy camper about these shocks right now. It has turned into a huge waste of time and money for me.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by manxman
Yep smeister- time to pump the shocks back up and spray some soapy water on all the connections, or just twist those connections as hard as you can. One or more is/are leaking.
BWT, I finally figured out what it was...one of my rear tires was rubbing the clear air line and made a hole into...a big one eventually and I had to redo that line. All is good now!

Old 09-18-2010, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Did the last mod needed to put this right. To get the Napa P#'s 66 X 2 = brass fitting for the air line and P# 90-294 = tire/tank air fill valve. Now they work independently of each other. The plastic JUNK Tee fitting that comes with the Monroe kit is were it belongs in the trash can . this tee had a crack right where the brass needle valve was located and kept letting air out very sssslowly it was like 4-5 weeks that I had to add air. These 2 brass fitting will fix that problem.
The biggest prob. that was brought up (thanks Tex) was that when going around a sharp turn the inboard shock would compress and the outboard would receive the extra volume of air and lift the the car on the oppisite side, ugly is a good descriptive word for it.
This was less than 10.00 and 1/2 hr. to complete, just be careful of the brass knurls that go around the airline; very delicate!!

This is a pic of under the rear bumper

PS the metal bushing twisted right off and the threads were fine, but that's what happened for us.

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 09-23-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
I might have to do these brass fittings thanks!

Old 09-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Ok so I thought I should post my first reply: I have done the air shocks mod, and I am not happy with it. at 20 psi Its supper bouncy. At 100 its great for racing on a flat road, but rebound is extreme!! If you encounter any bumps your bounced right off the road. The best compromise seemed to be about 60 psi, but it still looks jacked up in the rear. So much so that my headlights needed readjusted. 100 psi was ridiculous! I will be swapping back as soon as I have time. Yes you can haul more, and that is the only advantage I have seen. Just wanted to warn you.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
MKhorn if you run seperate air lines to the shocks it will be a WAY dif. feel. If your using the Tee and have both shocks tied together it does suck esp. making a 180 degree turn. But that is explained 2 posts above, it sounds like your mind is made up, but it does greatly improve the manuviblity of the car.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Ok. Sorry. I only got through like 4 of the pages. I knew there had to be something I was missing, cause your right, it sucks! But does this fix the height issue?

Last edited by mkhorn; 09-23-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
Red face In a Word...no

Originally Posted by mkhorn
Ok. Sorry. I only got through like 4 of the pages. I knew there had to be something I was missing, cause your right, it sucks! But does this fix the height issue?
If you'er running reg. offset you can prob. go as lo as 30-33 psi and it will be unnoticeable and will b ok till ya filler up with some weight, but on the bright side ya got another 1,500 lbs you can load that most Fits can't
That why I did it, well GL mkhorn
Mike
c-ya

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 11-12-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:35 PM
ok so I was recommended to try these as a rear suspension mod to drop the rear end a lil more. the people from bbsquad have been doin it for quite some time and it seems to pay off. bB Squad • View topic - Official Wheel specs and PICTURE thread I just want some feedback as to see if ya'll recommend it...

Old 11-30-2010, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdmgd4
ok so I was recommended to try these as a rear suspension mod to drop the rear end a lil more. the people from bbsquad have been doin it for quite some time and it seems to pay off. bB Squad • View topic - Official Wheel specs and PICTURE thread I just want some feedback as to see if ya'll recommend it...

my boy has them on his bb and im about to do it to my fit actully with in a couple of days and i works awsome he has a little electric pump hooked up so he has a gauge to see ho much is in the lines i might be doing them this week end.

this is what his bb looks like! with no air in the shocks when parked!!

Old 11-30-2010, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
anyone else doing this?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:57 PM
My girlfriend just bought a fit and we have coilovers on order. I plan on doing this to Her car because of the agressive wheels she is going to be using. I got the idea from a buddy of mine who is running a similar setup on his Xb loves it. The key is avoiding preload according to him. Thanks

Old 03-19-2011, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
i cant wait to do this NOTE this is not a mod if you do performance this is only for heavy loads and if you are going to slam you car it works

Old 05-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Thank-you

This is a really nice write up, and led to me joining this group. My 2008 Fit Sport, has about 70K on it, mostly driving across Mexico (West coast of Mexico to Austin and back). A couple of weeks ago I was really loaded down, to the point that the stock rear suspension was bottoming out at times. Unfortunately there was a 4X4 in the road; I swerved to the left, but the rear right tire just caught the 4X4. This caused the rear right suspension to bottom out. I later saw that I had put a small bend in the wheel (stock 2008 Fit sport 15") and that there was a nice bubble on the sidewall of my General Exclaim tire.

I am thinking that possibly, if the suspension had not bottomed out, the wheel might not have bent.

Anyway .. I plan on doing this air shock install in the not too distant future .

BTW: some of the early miles on the car were towing an enclosed 4'X6' trailer from NY to Texas, and then through Mexico. The car performed remarkably well.

Thank-you

Old 05-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by dzager
I pulled a shock from my 2009 Sport to match up against the Monroe MA811 I received from Amazon.com. The Monroe is 1.5 inches too short.

So, I looked up specs on the Monroe database and the MA793 is the right length, same stud size on top, but the bottom is 1 1/2 instead of 1 3/8. I figure I can shim the bolt on the bottom with some very thin metal - like a cut up coke can. We'll see. I am returning the 811's and ordered the 793's. Free shipping right now!

Dave
So for us who lowered our rides like I did it is perfect! I ordered the MA811 today and have read some of the draw backs and have some work to do. I would love to get a module so I can see and change the pressure on the fly do to load and people. I did not read all the pages so it might be posted in there somewhere. I do want to individually pressurize my shocks to avoid the transfer from one shock to the other. I need to look at the air bag riding truck folks for help.

Cheers

Old 05-22-2011, 03:26 PM
It's time to replace the shocks on my 08 fit and I came across this thread. I will occasionally have extra weight in the back but not on a constant basis. My main concern is for a smoother ride. Will the air shocks help with this or will they be very similiar to stock? I would like to confirm a few things if I go the air shock route.

1. This is pretty much a bolt in replacement for the stock shocks.
2. Make sure to either reuse the bushings from the old shocks or buy new stock bushings.
3. Have seperate airlines.
4. For normal use around 30 psi should do it.

Thanks
The Doge

Old 05-22-2011, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Everything's right except that 30 PSI will have the rear end way high.. I keep mine at around 10 PSI without a load.. Changes in ambient temperature will affect the pressure, so you can expect lower ride hight in the morning and noticeably higher 30 minutes of driving later on. You have to have a little pressure to not mess up the bellows.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:08 PM
I went ahead and installed the air shocks this morning. Everything went per the directions. I had ordered new grommets and washers. The top spacers did not seem to go on very tight. I used some lock tite on them and hope that holds. I used the seperate air line setup for each shock with the Napa brass fittings outlined in an earlier post. The Fit already has holes on the underside of the bumper on each side that the air nozzle with washers fit right into.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
I'll bet you left a puddle of sweat when and where you installed the air shocks... It's hot up there in Collin County...

Quick Reply: DIY- Monroe Rear Air Shocks w/Photos