Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

DIY- Monroe Rear Air Shocks w/Photos

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
Finally did mine last night and I couldnt be happier now that I can raise it and lower it more for the meets I put these shocks on with my k sport coils it rides freaking awsome couldnt be happier at all

Old 08-08-2011, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lidoshorty02
very nice writeup. i was wondering if u put less air would it lower the car
Originally Posted by manxman
Thanks, and the answer is NO. At the recommended min. air press. of 20 psi, the car is at stock height. They do not recommend that you use high press. air to try to raise the back end either. Too much or too little pressure will cause premature failure of the air system.
Originally Posted by nxtfit_08
Finally did mine last night and I couldnt be happier now that I can raise it and lower it more for the meets I put these shocks on with my k sport coils it rides freaking awsome couldnt be happier at all
nxtfit, jus so im clear..are u saying you can raise and lower yur ryde height with this set-up? i have ksports now, but i can't understand how they could be raised even ever so slightly without losing their position on the spring seat.How much can you you go up or down?
I know Big Mike might be able to shed some light on this too..he 'em as well!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
Actully you should be able to do it also this mod was done not just for carrying stuff but the people from the xb world have been useing it to lower the rear end some what like air bags for shows but I can bring it up a inch or so so I can ride with people in the back seat with out looseing the spring and or rubbing on the tires but I can actully take the spring cup out for shows and slam it too it works trust me cause if the xb people can do it why cant we?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nxtfit_08
Actully you should be able to do it also this mod was done not just for carrying stuff but the people from the xb world have been useing it to lower the rear end some what like air bags for shows but I can bring it up a inch or so so I can ride with people in the back seat with out looseing the spring and or rubbing on the tires but I can actully take the spring cup out for shows and slam it too it works trust me cause if the xb people can do it why cant we?
that sounds sweet!

Thanx ma'man...that sounds sweet! Got to look into that.....

Old 12-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by dzager
I pulled a shock from my 2009 Sport to match up against the Monroe MA811 I received from Amazon.com. The Monroe is 1.5 inches too short.
Has anybody else tried this on the GE? I'm curious if the MA811 would still work on the GE with lowering springs. If the MA811 is able to raise the GD above stock height (if I'm reading through all this info correctly), couldn't the 811 also be used in a lowered GE with just using higher pressure?

I know I'm bring back an old topic, but just curious.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
They were too long for my GD-3 after I installed Swift Mach springs... When I had to raise the rear wheels off of the ground the rear springs would drop off of their perches and roll across the floor.. I mangled up my hand by trying to lower the floor jack while reaching around the upper part of the tire to hold the spring in place on the perch.. As long as there isn't too much spring pressure that could pull the shock apart it should work just fine.. If the spring compresses 1" or more when supporting the weight of the car I don't think there would be a problem.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:36 AM
5 Year Member
This is really cool! i wanna do this! Does anyone have any pix of it when itz all aired out/pumped at certain PSI. Im very curious how it looks but i dont seem to find any pix.

now to figure how to do the fronts..hmm

Old 01-20-2012, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
The only problem I had was trying to have only 20 Lbs of air in them.. Honestly, it is next to impossible to do... Any thing over 20 PSI will raise the rear end much higher.. Changes in temperature would cause them to either have too much or not enough air in them.. They are great when you have a load in the car but you have to stay on top of having the correct amount of air in them... It would be little bother if you had a single shraeder valve with a T fitting to both shocks and individual valves in the individual lines that could be closed after the desired pressure had been added.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
... It would be little bother if you had a single shraeder valve with a T fitting to both shocks and individual valves in the individual lines that could be closed after the desired pressure had been added.
Wow! That is an excellent idea! Why didn't I think of that!

Last edited by macbuddy; 01-20-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by macbuddy
Wow! That is an excellent idea! Why didn't I think of that!
I wish I had been sipping Makers Mark when I installed mine instead of since I took them off... I'm going to bed early tonight.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Haha! Yeah, my brother had monroe air shocks on his crown victoria. he had about 12" from lowest to highest setting.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
HELP! Did the upgrade yesterday and front struts as well.. welll it sits at a much improved height now (the OEM dampers had 270K on them)

Front rides great..back rides like a covered wagon!!!.. What did we do wrong? Its is just boing boing boing! 0-40psi.. no luck

any ideas? email me at alarmgui@gmail.com as i will be on my phone.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
The only problem I had was trying to have only 20 Lbs of air in them.. Honestly, it is next to impossible to do... Any thing over 20 PSI will raise the rear end much higher.. Changes in temperature would cause them to either have too much or not enough air in them.. They are great when you have a load in the car but you have to stay on top of having the correct amount of air in them... It would be little bother if you had a single shraeder valve with a T fitting to both shocks and individual valves in the individual lines that could be closed after the desired pressure had been added.
I'm afraid that Fits are too light to use the recommended pressure for air shocks..

Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Banned
I'm afraid that Fits are too light to use the recommended pressure for air shocks..
Just found this old thread- most of the later posts were done while manxman was banned. With the Monroe Air Shocks mounted on my '09 Fit, 30 psi with individual filler Schraeder valves works fine. I can't understand the "boing-boing" complaint at all. On my GD3 and GE8, the ride quality greatly exceeds the ride comfort of stock shocks.

Good idea from TC, but a small ball valve on each shock's filler line would work better to maintain set pressures after filling.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
I installed these shocks about a month ago. I have tried different air pressures and I like 50lbs when the car is empty and 80 for when I have it loaded. The car rides much better with the air shocks. I thought that the 20lb was to soft lol I definitely like having 50 lbs set up. I have not seperated the airlines yet does it make that much of a difference?

Joe

Old 07-18-2013, 01:16 PM
$54 plus shipping for Monroe MA811

Sold in pairs on rockauto.com Vehicle searched was 1993 chevrolet V6 Cavalier!!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Banned
The posts in this thread by manxman were written by me. I used Monroe Air Shocks on my (now totaled) GD3 Fit and currently use them on my GE8. Air pressure with these shock absorbers adjust ONLY RIDE HEIGHT, not ride quality. The shocks provide better ride quality than stock shock absorbers. Putting more air pressure into the shocks simply raises the rear of the car---- it does not change the ride quality. Monroe Air Shocks provide better compression and rebound control with STOCK springs.

With the single fill valve supplied with two shocks from Monroe, in a GD3 or GE8 Fit, depending on the car's load and your road conditions, handling safety can be compromised. For general overload conditions on twisty roads, you are much better off using individual filler valves for each of the two shock absorbers. Air pressure can be transferred from one shock to the other with a heavy load on a tight curve. My GD3 is dead. Ask me how I know this.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
The posts in this thread by manxman were written by me. I used Monroe Air Shocks on my (now totaled) GD3 Fit and currently use them on my GE8. Air pressure with these shock absorbers adjust ONLY RIDE HEIGHT, not ride quality. The shocks provide better ride quality than stock shock absorbers. Putting more air pressure into the shocks simply raises the rear of the car---- it does not change the ride quality. Monroe Air Shocks provide better compression and rebound control with STOCK springs.

With the single fill valve supplied with two shocks from Monroe, in a GD3 or GE8 Fit, depending on the car's load and your road conditions, handling safety can be compromised. For general overload conditions on twisty roads, you are much better off using individual filler valves for each of the two shock absorbers. Air pressure can be transferred from one shock to the other with a heavy load on a tight curve. My GD3 is dead. Ask me how I know this.
Thank you for this post and I agree and found out about the air pressure I have since kept air pressure to about 20 lbs and I have changed the filler valves to each shock instead of both and that improved. my question is with no weight in the back of the car do we need to keep any air in the shocks?

Joe

Old 08-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by JoeF
Thank you for this post and I agree and found out about the air pressure I have since kept air pressure to about 20 lbs and I have changed the filler valves to each shock instead of both and that improved. my question is with no weight in the back of the car do we need to keep any air in the shocks?

Joe
Yes! With zero air pressure in the air sleeves, the rubber will fold and abrade against itself with the rapid up and down telescoping of the upper shock body. Holes in the rubber are guaranteed.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
I have been keeping 20 lbs of air in the shocks and actually have a 30 lb bag of soil that I forgot was in there. It makes the rear a little smoother. I bought the back cargo cover and I did not see the bag of soil until today. The biggest difference was when I separated the air lines.

Quick Reply: DIY- Monroe Rear Air Shocks w/Photos