Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Lowering, the cut theory

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by apexanimal
i don't think they're talking about 1 or 2%... i think they're talking a much wider margin of error on that one unless you're using a very accurate oven and heating each one the same amount of time... and not using a torch...

the eibachs have a higher spring rate which will accelerate the wear on the struts... it's been fairly well documented all over the place that nearly all the time, when replacing springs with lowering springs w/ higher spring rates, you'll need higher performance struts to go with it...

but have YOU been doing it for 40+ years?

i don't think anyone is arguing how major manufacturers make springs... i think we're arguing the safety of a guy doing it in his garage with a torch and a vice...

the issue with heating metal with a torch is that you're creating hot spots in the metal that will decrease the strength of the spring, and, in all likelyhood, in one place... this means that the spring now has one defined weak point to break, should it decide to do so...

with that stock spring rate and with that small distance of travel, you will be riding the bump stops quite a bit on bumps...

people have been cutting springs for a long time... many have been able to get away with it, some haven't... if all you're going for is look, then enjoy and i hope it doesn't fail... but they will not perform better than the swifts on stock struts, or on eibachs with aftermarket struts...
Right, when you heat the springs with a torch, you not only create HAZ heat affected Zones which will either be weaker and stonger along the length of the spring. When heating with a gas composed of carbon, YOU will be introducing Carbon into the metal and make it stronger, Stronger does not mean better in this case, it simply means that your spring is now BRITTLE, exactly what you do not want your spring to be. You introduced stresses which would not be there when you make the springs. there is a reason why they cost so much. it not how much it costs to physically make,it everything it took to develope the spring.
With the thousands of cycles that the spring will have to go through, watch out for cracks in the spring and or rust. Both of which WILL happen.

Ride comfort or Ride Quality has to do with the Ride Frequency you are trying to establish for you vehicle. this is highly dependent on the sprung mass at each corner. Higher frequency (stiffer)usually means faster response and less weight transfer.

As you raise the Spring rate, the dampers will become ineffective and cannot reach critical damping.

Ks
= 4
fr
msmMR

Ks = Spring rate (N/m)
msm = Sprung mass (kg)
fr
= Ride frequency (Hz)
MR = Motion ratio (Wheel/Spring travel

When it comes to developing suspension, you can think,
1.) i want my car to be smooth going X speed through X amount of bumps
2.) i want my car to initiate turn (yaw) at X speed
3.) i want my car to Accelerate/Brake at this rate

So you can Tune for Comfort, Cornering, or accel. and braking. From the 3 categories you want to distribute whats more important to you. YOU will not have a vehicle optimized for turning and comfort. its a balancing act.
So you cannot say that these springs "yours" ride better or worse than any other spring manufacturer out there. Everyone has their own definition of better.

Forgot to talk about swaybars or ARB's and springs for pitch. thats another spring thats added to the springs at each corner.
but basically for a perfect ride you need 10 different springs and dampers

Last edited by Sung@MM; 05-17-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
How r ur struts now??

Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ModR

I know you guys think I don't understand what your saying.
... Hate it or love it pick it apart bash it does not really matter. Im sitting 2.5" lower riding like a cloud
I missed this post first time around but I like this guy's attitude a lot. He's taking no offense and he has great conviction!!

Because what he did is only slightly unsafe (it's a spring on a car with an incredibly simple suspension) and he's only creating pain for himself if it goes wrong, I can't find it within myself to argue.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 PM
It's his car so he can do as he pleases but lol

I don't see a good reason to cut stock springs when there are so many options out there.

I've never lowered a car for looks and that includes my new Fit.I just installed Swifts and Progress RSB and the combo is killer.

No way a cut stock spring will hold a candle to the Swifts in any way shape or form.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
Well all i can say is swifts may be awesome performance wise, but i see no change in appearance really. The drop is toooo mild for the money they want. I rode in two fits with swifts now, felt stock honestly except less body roll, but my buddy has eibachs, and it was wayyyyyyyy better riding, and looked much much better. Id never buy swift. Overpriced no drop springs in my opinion. I think the people here on swifts dick (can name a few) havent been on anothers or something cause it just makes zero sense to me!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by ModR
Because there is no strut avaible to dampen a lowered fit I am going to create one as stated above.

Just saying, Type One Racing makes a dampening strut....