Gauge Interest in a Fit Product or Group Buy Use this sub-forum to gauge market interest in your Product or Group Buy.
If you decide to sell a Product or proceed with your Group Buy, create your listing in our Non-Fit Vendor Group Buys and Product Sales area.
If you decide to become a forum sponsor with "FIT Vendor" title, please Contact Us for details.

Testing water on 3 Drive Throttle Controller for GE6-GE9

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JCrimson
i got mine a few months ago. will be installing this weekend. hey dee whats up!>? ^_^
A few months ago and you still haven't hooked it up? What are you waiting for? I really couldn't imagine the car not having it after having it and it should be considered a factory option or just come that way.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:43 AM
It's exactly the same function.
The best part of this device is that you have the multiple options to choose based on different type of driving you want at different type of road.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, I got my ETC in the mail today (super fast shipping, btw)...

Installing it now.

Edit: Ok, have everything hooked up, triple checked that everything is plugged in...but my unit is not getting any power. I've checked the OBD 2 Sensor plug like a dozen times. Have put the key in ON position and messed with the OBD 2 plug since I know that is the power source, but the unit did not have any power. Moving it around, trying to plug in deeper, etc...none of that worked.

I've pm'd Panson. I know he's a good customer service man...awaiting his response.

Last edited by Btrthnezr3; 02-01-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Ok, I got my ETC in the mail today (super fast shipping, btw)...

Installing it now.

Edit: Ok, have everything hooked up, triple checked that everything is plugged in...but my unit is not getting any power. I've checked the OBD 2 Sensor plug like a dozen times. Have put the key in ON position and messed with the OBD 2 plug since I know that is the power source, but the unit did not have any power. Moving it around, trying to plug in deeper, etc...none of that worked.

I've pm'd Panson. I know he's a good customer service man...awaiting his response.
You might want to try and plug the main unit in again and make sure all your connections are tight. That's what I had to do when I had issues with the controller not powering up.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Hey...quick question...Just to check if it is really a power problem...can I just plug in the OBD2 harness and the unit into box and see if it gets power? Or will that simply not work at all? I mean..will the unit turn on with just the OBD2 harness in?

I've uninstalled and reinstalled 3 times now.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
I've probably tried this 20 times since my harness was bad the first time and I have never done that. I would just disconnect everything and take off the negative battery terminal and clear the CEL and try again. Have you cleared your CEL yet?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
BTW...the OBD 2 connector does seem somewhat loose. It doesn't SNAP into place like the other harnesses. Problem?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
No, I haven't cleared the CEL. Do I need to do that before I uninstall and reinstall again?

I waited the 10 min and still got the CEL.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
No, I haven't cleared the CEL. Do I need to do that before I uninstall and reinstall again?

I waited the 10 min and still got the CEL.

I have always cleared the CEL before trying again. Also the obd2 connector is loose and it works fine on my GE.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Ok so you're thinking I should disconnect the negative battery terminal, wait 10 min and then connect it back and reinstall?

Or should I reinstall while the negative terminal is still off and then reconnect the terminal and turn ignition to on?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Ok so you're thinking I should disconnect the negative battery terminal, wait 10 min and then connect it back and reinstall?

Or should I reinstall while the negative terminal is still off and then reconnect the terminal and turn ignition to on?
Disconnect the negative battery terminal, wait 10 minutes and then connect it back and try again. When you plug the controller in make sure its as tight as possible since it doesn't fit in perfectly so you got to make sure its in there otherwise it might not turn on from my experiences.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Ok...will do.

I tried a bit ago turning on the ignition while holding the connector in, and still no light up from the unit. I'll go disconnect battery term and try again.

Thanks for your help btw.

See you in about 10 min ;-)

Old 02-01-2010, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
Ok...will do.

I tried a bit ago turning on the ignition while holding the connector in, and still no light up from the unit. I'll go disconnect battery term and try again.

Thanks for your help btw.

See you in about 10 min ;-)
I'll check this thread when I get home later to see if that worked for you. Hopefully Panson has some other ideas of what to do to help you out.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Haven't had a chance to check yet...batt is back on.

Have to eat and then gonna go try again. I'll let you know.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Ok just tried 2 more times hooking and unhooking and then rehooking.

I have no power to the unit.

Please help.

Ekonetics...what specifically did you find that was the "squeaky wheel" in your case? I am triple checking everything and they are all in there plugged in quite tight.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
Did you have the car off for at least 10 minutes before trying to install it? If I remember the directions properly, the car would need to be off so the ECU powers down completely before trying to install the ETC. While the battery is disconnected, why not then install everything and when that is done, reconnect the battery and see what happens. Really it doesn't even need to be connected to the OBD2 port, it could get power from any 12V switchable power or always on 12V power if you wanted to throw in a on/off switch. You could temporarily see if the unit has a problem by hardwiring directly to the battery and if the unit still doesn't power up, remember to also ground it then you know it is not your OBD2 port having issues and would point to the unit itself.

I might later wire mine up directly to free the OBD2 port so won't need a 2 port adapter to run the Innovate program on the iPhone.

Hope you get it all figured out and it is not something wrong with the unit itself. I'm sure twpanson will quickly get another one out to you if this one is not functioning.

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 02-01-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Merchant / Group Buy Organizer ( non-certified )
5 Year Member
Sir,

You've got a pm. Let me know how it goes.
Then I can further assist you w/ a brand new one.

Sorry for the hassle.
Panson
TWP

Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks 555...I am not confident enough at all to hard wire anything, and I don't want to take anything apart (the wires) if I don't know what exactly the issue is.

I've tried it 6 times now...I guess I'll take 555's advice and try it with the battery disconnected and then reconnect...one more time, right?

Thank you Panson for your great customer service. I sent you a pm back.

If I can't get it to work tonight, I'll pm you before I go to bed or in the morning.

I'm going to try one more time.

Thank you all so much.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Ok...when I had the battery completely disconnected (for 10 min) and hooked it all up again, and then waited ten more minutes before turning it on, I had power.

Then I programmed the unit and turned the car on.

I had the check engine light...

I turned the car off...disconnected the battery and waited 10 more minutes.

I just reconnected it and I still have the check engine light.

Am I doomed tonight?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure why the CEL would be on. Did this come on when you first attempted to install the unit? If anything, if it won't clear, you might have to go to the dealer to clear the CEL if you don't have a scan guage or know somebody with one to clear it. Lastly you could disconnect the battery over night and in the morning see what happens with the CEL when you reconnect.

At least the unit is getting power though.

Quick Reply: Testing water on 3 Drive Throttle Controller for GE6-GE9