To make an insurance claim or not...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 11:31 AM
To make an insurance claim or not...

So I just plowed a deer last night on my way out for the evening. I was driving along, moving around 75 MPH on the expressway. Clear out of nowhere I see a deer sitting stationary in the lane that I'm in. I had very little time to react. There would have been no way I could have changed lanes quick enough without hitting it. My first reaction was to sit on the break as hard as I could.

That deer had no idea I was going to wipe him off this earth. It was like something straight out of the movies. Upon impact, that poor animal went straight up and off to the side. Eventually landing in the opposite lane on the expressway. I estimate I plowed into it around 40 or 50 MPH. I came almost to a complete stop once I realized what was going on.

I realized the car was still drivable and that I would investigate the damage once I reached my destination for the evening. It was worse than I pictured in my mind, and now I'm wondering what to do.

My father works with his buddy, who owns his own body shop. I also get a discount through a local Honda dealership, as I had previously worked there. Do I claim this on my insurance, or pay for it out of pocket? I am insured with Progressive, I have a $500 deductible on both comprehensive and collision. I've been driving for 14 years and the only claim I've ever made before was for a damaged windshield. From what I've been told, this goes towards comprehensive and not collision. Also, that it would not make my rate go up. Is this true?

Also, what about getting aftermarket parts during this process? (i.e. carbon fiber hood, lower spoiler, front grill, etc)

Thoughts would be great. Thanks!

Old 11-27-2008, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Depending on the cost for repairing the damage. I would asume that the cost to repair will be more that ur deductable, if this is the case then make a claim. If not then don't. Since ur dad works at a body shop have him give you an estimate without a discount. Thow up some pics ofthe damage. BTW sorry about ur run in with a deer. I have seen alot of ppl hit deer this year. On Driveaccord.net there are at least 6 incedents.But at least ur ok......

Old 11-27-2008, 11:19 PM
... and this is why I'll be in the woods in the morning thinning the rascals out.

I was under the impression insurance only went up in at-fault accidents or from tickets, but I'm probably wrong. There is much I don't know about insurance except I pay extra for broad-form collision. Something about being at fault in that.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by thomasgrant
So I just plowed a deer last night on my way out for the evening. I was driving along, moving around 75 MPH on the expressway. Clear out of nowhere I see a deer sitting stationary in the lane that I'm in. I had very little time to react. There would have been no way I could have changed lanes quick enough without hitting it. My first reaction was to sit on the break as hard as I could.

That deer had no idea I was going to wipe him off this earth. It was like something straight out of the movies. Upon impact, that poor animal went straight up and off to the side. Eventually landing in the opposite lane on the expressway. I estimate I plowed into it around 40 or 50 MPH. I came almost to a complete stop once I realized what was going on.

I realized the car was still drivable and that I would investigate the damage once I reached my destination for the evening. It was worse than I pictured in my mind, and now I'm wondering what to do.

My father works with his buddy, who owns his own body shop. I also get a discount through a local Honda dealership, as I had previously worked there. Do I claim this on my insurance, or pay for it out of pocket? I am insured with Progressive, I have a $500 deductible on both comprehensive and collision. I've been driving for 14 years and the only claim I've ever made before was for a damaged windshield. From what I've been told, this goes towards comprehensive and not collision. Also, that it would not make my rate go up. Is this true?

Also, what about getting aftermarket parts during this process? (i.e. carbon fiber hood, lower spoiler, front grill, etc)

Thoughts would be great. Thanks!
Your premiums won't go up. Paying out of pocket won't do anything at all except make you poorer. Re: cost- my wife hit a deer in her '06 Scion XB on our mountain road. The deer kept on running and is probably OK. The repair bill was $5800. From your description, your bill is almost guaranteed to be higher. That's why you pay for collision/comprehensive insurance.