General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Normal discontinuity at seam of dash moulding?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Normal discontinuity at seam of dash moulding?

I've brought my 2013 Fit LX to Honda for many things. Flood remediation, entailing replacement of all electronic components and harnesses at floor level. Airbag recalls on both the driver and passenger sides. Replacement of the hand brake cable after the flood remediation.

I'm not sure, but I suspect tht some of the above entails removal and re-assembly of the front dash.

Lately, I have found that a discontinuity in the dash surface at a seam is causing discomfort on my knee. Here is a picture:

Is the seam normal?

I'm tired of imposing on Honda to fix things. The last time was the hand brake cable, which was a real challenge. Lots and lots of time lost there.

If the seam is not normal, I might just roll over and have them charge me for it. I'm not sure yet.

How reasonable is it to insist that they resolve the discontinuity -- if it is not supposed to be there, that is?

Old 04-13-2019, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
The clips may be worn from taking that piece off. I would inspect them and if they are a new piece might be all you need.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
OK, thanks. I'll have to make a decision at some point to bring it in for that. It would have to be a Saturday, which is also when most people want service, and they are the most conservatively staffed.

I'm beginning to realize now that it is only truly an issue when a number of conditions exist. First, only during long distance drives, when I use cruise control, and hence pull my leg back so that I'm not riding the gas pedal. Second, it is only really noticable if I am wearing my winder boots, as I roll up the pant leg so that ti doesn't catch on the seams of the boot. Of course, the same goes for summer, when I am wearing shorts.

I think I can live without the rolling up of the right pant leg in the winter, as the catching of cuffs on boot seams is more pronounced on the left leg (clutch leg).