General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Was discontinuing the Fit a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
Business wise and as much as I hate to admit, it made sense to pull the plug on the Fit for the US market. Much like we all know, there is am increasing trend of compact and larger SUVs being purchased here. For example and looking at it logistics wise, having to build and design the Fit for US and Canadian markets with its own front clip and rear bumpers to pass their crash safety then have noticeably different clips for other markets didn't make sense to me on paper.

With the HR-V/Vezel/XR-V, the body remained pretty much the same regardless of the market with the exception of various smaller trim pieces and engine configurations... Like the 1.5L I4T we didn't get in the US but Europe did. -.-

Also in my honest opinion.. I feel that the GK wasn't really allowed to thrive our market due to price point vs standard equipment. Looking within the Honda family alone, it wasn't too much of an unreasonable jump to a slightly larger and better equipped HR-V or a Civic which usually had better sales incentives and promos (especially the FK7 hatches which were ALL 1.5Ts) for a couple grand more over a period of X amount of years. Doing loose math from MSRPs, that's MAYBE a difference of 50 to 100 bucks a month with going for say a Fit Sport or EX compared to a HR-V LX or Sport or Civic Hatch LX or Sport over 4 or 5 years depending on interest and of course trim configuration.

I could ramble on BUT its been a long day and its late, I've lost my train of thought multiple times typing this. haha
This is a spot on assessment in my opinion.

It's funny to me though that CUVs are really just lifted hatchbacks. I couldn't care less for the lifted, but I do like the hatchback and that's why I went with the Fit.

You're right on the price difference too. I would have bought the Civic hatchback sport if it was available when I bought the Fit, but it wasn't and I needed the vehicle to replace my Fiancé's decrepit Mustang.