General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 05:27 PM
1st tankful: 26.58 mpg 100% AC on.

2nd tankful: 29.81 mpg 100% AC on.

Both tanks about 80% city, 20% highway. 87 octane. Its the wife's car.

Unfortunately in the Houston/Harris County area we are EPA mandated to the use of reformulated gasoline; basically means less polluting and less mpg than "regular" gasoline. Same for you Annie being in the greater LA area.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/rfg/whereyoulive.htm

Last edited by Clear Lake Fit; 05-12-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
Sport AT, all city stop and go for 212 miles- almost 7 gal--30MPG on first tankful

Old 05-13-2006, 03:44 AM
Originally Posted by Clear Lake Fit
Unfortunately in the Houston/Harris County area we are EPA mandated to the use of reformulated gasoline; basically means less polluting and less mpg than "regular" gasoline. Same for you Annie being in the greater LA area.

Hum. I had no idea. That makes me feel a little better. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2006, 03:57 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
That's odd AT is lower. I thought Fit has lock-in on every gear, which should make the mileage closer to their manual brothers.

I'm MT and I drive in SF (but not the main hilly area) and my first tank was 34. My 2nd tank is pending; it's only half full. I'm having troubl eestimating if it'll be higher or lower. I have been driving mroe aggressive, but it is half way (~5gal) and based on its miles it looks like it'll land around 32-36.

I think it could be driving technique. I've always stepped on the pedal harder on my previous civic auto. Stomping on the pedal, even if RPM is low as the result of it, will decrease mileage.

Old 05-13-2006, 06:41 AM
With 575 miles my AT has averaged around 34 with 80% suburban 20% highway. I know this will improve as the car breaks in and I adjust my driving style to the car. I am still learning how far it will coast after I remove my foot from the gas without impeding traffic. I too read somewhere that the Fit featured a lock up torque convertor in gears other that 5th, which is another reason this car is well thought out and slightly more expensive that Yaris, etc.

One thing odd I have noticed which may be related to the lock up convertor in lower gears is the sense that when I remove my foor from the gas to coast the car when the transmission has selected 3rd,4th or 5th is a slight drag or engine brake that is different that other automatics with lock up convertor....it's not bad, just different and requires I keep my foot in for slightly longer that I expected. The valving that Honda did on this transmission is superb..it is the smoothest shifting automatic I have ever driven.

I like the way the paddle shifts work in D and S. Fit returns the gear to first if I dont have time to and come to a stop, and in D when using the paddles to select a lower gear for engine braking the transmission holds the gear I selected until I touch the gas again.

Old 05-13-2006, 08:18 AM
In my CRX, I always noticed that I get lower mileage with higher octane. It does kinda makes sense since you have lower BTU per volume due to the extra amount of additives to prevent detonation/pre-ignition. You need more "gas" to burn to reach the same burn rate, keeping everything else constant.

My friends and me included have noticed our cars running rough or missing pretty bad with Arco gas. Main reason why I keep away from Arco stations. Some cars can deal with Arco gas better than others though, if it works for you, go ahead and keep pinching your pennies.

Tip keeping mileage on the high side: Keep out of high-lift, high-duration VTEC region. Same goes for turbo cars... stay out of boost if you wanna sip on gas.

Keep a constant speed... this is very true for AT. When you're going at a constant speed the auto tranny computer will notice and will lock up the torque converter. I'm pretty amaze at mpg rates with modern automatics with the logic they use nowadays coupled with TBW/ETC (throttle by wire, electronic throttle control, whatever you wanna call it).

Old 05-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by xorbe
In my Sport AT, when I drive like a maniac, I get 29mpg (US) so far. Feather-foot 55-70mph freeway, 36-37 mpg. Presumably I'll average 32-33 probably.
I have found the nearly identical results. The gas mileage is improving, and I now have 1600 miles on it. I found that with my last honda, the first several thousand miles were lower with gas mileage and I even had some oil consumption. Then the MPG improved and the oil consumption stopped completely. I haven't had any oil consumption with the fit, but the gas mileage was lower the first few tanks. Yesterday, after a 500 mile trip up to the lake and back, I averaged almost 37 with the defrost on (which uses a/c to dehumidify the windshield).

Old 05-13-2006, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Clear Lake Fit
1st tankful: 26.58 mpg 100% AC on.

2nd tankful: 29.81 mpg 100% AC on.

Both tanks about 80% city, 20% highway. 87 octane. Its the wife's car.

reformulated gas means the extra additives like ethanols?? I'm located in NY and the gas contains 10% ethanols...

Old 05-13-2006, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
ok heres the deal.
Ive got 34MPG in both city and highway driving.
I try to coast all the time and not hit the break.
Yes there is a little drag on the tranny, so The fit will slow down in city driving. It seems the drag is not there on the highway or 5Th gear.
Slow down, dont hit the break and u too will get 34-35 mpg.
other wise you will get 28-32 mpg.

Old 05-14-2006, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 4dr4life!
I've been getting low mpg, my first tank from the dealership I got 28 and my second I got 27. All city driving and little highway at speed limit, Im getting worried BTW I have sports automatic. But well see since I just broke my 600mile club
my first tank is only 24 MPG, but now my second tank i'm getting a little better mileage...i think as we drive it longer we should get better MPG, otherwise we're still well within the warrantee, the worst case...

Old 05-14-2006, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
My measured mileage over the last week netted 27.86 mpg.

I have a Sport A/T. I have a 8 mile ride to work, with a possible max of 6 stops along the way, and speeds ranging up to 50 mph. Throw in a couple of weekend hiway uses at 75-80 mph--it's just so much fun. I've been babying most of my accelerations--just went over 600 miles yesterday--but I've had a few into VTEC territory. If anyone has driven in Massachusetts--you understand.

It's a lot of fun when that second bank of intake valves kicks in, but I haven't run any rpms over 4500. I want this engine to last.

But my 8.452 gallons today cost me $25.09 at $2.969/gal. The way I see it, this isn't much more money for a week's gas than my parents were paying in the 1970's, for a '74 Impala with a 20 gal. tank. Yes, their dollar went farther, but in the end, it's still the same weekly shell-out.

Last edited by HotIron; 05-14-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:30 PM
First tank, 5AT Sport, 60/40 hwy/city, very light-footed overall, mostly a cruise of 65, with some stretches of 70-80 on the hwy. No more than 3/4 throttle on just a few runs through the gears, otherwise very gentle and varying RPM's. 36MPG.

PS - I LOVE this car

Old 05-15-2006, 01:01 PM
hey hot iron, your commute sounds the same as mine! you don't work at the lego company do you? anyhow where did you get your fit in MA??

Old 05-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by coldstorage5
ok heres the deal.
Ive got 34MPG in both city and highway driving.
I try to coast all the time and not hit the break.
Yes there is a little drag on the tranny, so The fit will slow down in city driving. It seems the drag is not there on the highway or 5Th gear.
Slow down, dont hit the break and u too will get 34-35 mpg.
other wise you will get 28-32 mpg.
Yea. I think the main reason AT drivers get lower mileage is more of driving style than the machinery. I'll repeat what i said above: even after i leanred to drive manual improperly, i drove the auto too hard. After I learned about RPMs (the truck i leanred to drive manual in did not have a tach. I shifted based on mph and time) and how manual trannies work, i drive my manual fit well. And in retrospect, if i got the AT, i would have driven it like i did w/ the AT civic, which is improper.

When i drove the AT, i wouuld gas and brake even if a light is ahead. I also stomped on the pedal when i wanted to pick up speed to freeway, which is bad. You're better off downshifting and pressing it medium to speed up, than a high gear pressing it hard.

Old 05-15-2006, 07:55 PM
bif
Wink mpg

i got 39mph , AT driving on 80%highway @ 60 mph on cruise (under 600miles -following the break in speed, recommended by manual.)

32-around the country/town, and opening it up occasionally.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
cool

I'm confusing about the "D" shift mode. Actually how does it work? One day I'm trying to use the paddle shift on "D" mode, but I have to wait till the car run then hit the paddle it will show the gear on the display. But when I try to start while the car totally stop it doesn't shift. So, is that mean the "D" shifting mode has to wait till the car runs?

hahaahha..........I got my 3rd tank of gas today. Last tank od gas got 30mpg highway and city mixed (60% City and 40% Highway; 70 - 80 MPG; Only using paddle Shift Mode).

Old 05-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by sy11580
I'm confusing about the "D" shift mode. Actually how does it work? One day I'm trying to use the paddle shift on "D" mode, but I have to wait till the car run then hit the paddle it will show the gear on the display. But when I try to start while the car totally stop it doesn't shift. So, is that mean the "D" shifting mode has to wait till the car runs?

hahaahha..........I got my 3rd tank of gas today. Last tank od gas got 30mpg highway and city mixed (60% City and 40% Highway; 70 - 80 MPG; Only using paddle Shift Mode).
D, you can only downshift. If you want control, it's S. BTW i'm basing this on reading. And i don't know why you'd shift when teh car is stopped. All cars must start in first gear.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by annie
Does octane make a big difference in gas mileage, performance, etc?
Higher octane = faster burn = lower mileage!! Stick with 87 if you want the best mileage.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
I dunno whats going on with my gas mileage, seems to be decreasing. Just today my gas light came on and my mileage is at 215 I dont have a heavy feet and I crack the windows while driving. hmmm... I guess I'll give it somemore and try different gas stations. Shell so far gave me better gas mileage

Old 05-16-2006, 12:46 AM
1500+ miles overall agerage 37.91 US High=42.7 Low=34.4
It is easier to hypermile the AT. Spins slower at speed too. I bet the AT will take the MT in most situations as well, he he...

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)