General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:50 AM
Smile

Thatsmycall, what is your technique to "hypermile" the AT? Your results are excellent! I own a Sport AT and would like to improve my mileage, which for the first 600 miles is averaging around 34. Do you drive a base or Sport auto? Thanks!

Old 05-16-2006, 10:02 AM
The sport, the 15s may have better roll because of decreased sidewall deflection. To get your best mileage just keep your foot out of it, only use the gas in the first inch of its travel.

I bet most guys getting 30 peg the gas in each gear, it's fun. Stopped in traffic = 0 mpg. Going to be really hard to track your mileage in a big city. If you want to know what your car will do, get on a flat highway and keep it under 60 with cc.

Big hills doing 70-80 with cc, no, that motor really gets spinning and that is going to suck some fuel. see you actually go alot faster in the fit. if you normally drive 60, your going 68-72. If you normally drive 80, in the Fit, you're like a bat out of hell.

Don't jam on your brakes at the stops. Look ahead and roll up to the light. Don't idle if you can shut it off. Keep it in economy, under 3400 rpm.

Your conditions will have a major impact. taking four people up to the ski mountain? One guy says I'm 280, with my wife (she ain't little), two kids luggage and 125lb dog, doing 70-80, only got 30mpg,- duh.

PRess on the gas you pay, don't press on the gas you save. Don't underestimate drive by wire, any little movement of the pedal is going to call for fuel. GL

Old 05-16-2006, 11:22 AM
In 4 fill-ups (11xx miles on the car), we have averaged 29.5 mpg's. The best I have gotten is 31.5 on one tank. I am a bit frustrated that my milage is this low, but it seems to be improving as more miles are put on the car.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
I just filled up this morning and I averaged 21mpg!
Im really frustraded... I try to take your advise thatsmycall and see what I get on next fill up.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
MPG improving

Verging on 2000 miles and getting over 33 mpg mixed use, daily long commute on highways that are usually congested, a portion with traffic lights. I was getting around 30 at first. I do a lot of rapid acceleration from ramps and when passing (essential to survival on I-95). I read on another thread that downshifting with the paddle, and medium pressure on the pedal, is easier on the gas than just using the accelerator. The traffic has been such a pain that I haven't been playing around with the paddle shifters. Never had them before. I used to be able to use the cruise control a lot more, but traffic has gotten much worse in the past couple of years. Hurricanes don't seem to be doing a good job of keeping people from moving here!

Old 05-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by thatsmycall
The sport, the 15s may have better roll because of decreased sidewall deflection. To get your best mileage just keep your foot out of it, only use the gas in the first inch of its travel.

I bet most guys getting 30 peg the gas in each gear, it's fun. Stopped in traffic = 0 mpg. Going to be really hard to track your mileage in a big city. If you want to know what your car will do, get on a flat highway and keep it under 60 with cc.

Big hills doing 70-80 with cc, no, that motor really gets spinning and that is going to suck some fuel. see you actually go alot faster in the fit. if you normally drive 60, your going 68-72. If you normally drive 80, in the Fit, you're like a bat out of hell.

Don't jam on your brakes at the stops. Look ahead and roll up to the light. Don't idle if you can shut it off. Keep it in economy, under 3400 rpm.

Your conditions will have a major impact. taking four people up to the ski mountain? One guy says I'm 280, with my wife (she ain't little), two kids luggage and 125lb dog, doing 70-80, only got 30mpg,- duh.

PRess on the gas you pay, don't press on the gas you save. Don't underestimate drive by wire, any little movement of the pedal is going to call for fuel. GL
and Set neutral when you go downhill or going fast enough and expect to slow down (such as a red light yards ahead)

Old 05-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Red face

Thatsmycall, thanks for the tips! I assumed the 15's would have higher straignt line rolling resistance because they are wider than the 65 series 14's. Friction and cross section is your friend when you need traction, ie: cornering, acceleration and stopping, but is the enemy when straight line, low rolling resistance is the goal. I am still learning how far the Fit will coast in various situations, and recently have been playing with slipping the transmission into N for long coasts. I think Honda made it intentionally easy to do that...no button push is required to slip from D to N. Honda used to get criticised for the easy d4 to d3 no button slip, but I am convinced they did that so thoughtful drivers would use the transmission to engine brake using d3.

I take considerable effort to drive "smoothly". I try to accelerate slowly, coast when I can, minimize braking and carry speed though corners. I even try accelerating on the flat and "coasting" up inclines.

I owned a 1995 Civic Vx hatchback. The engine was the original vtec-e. That car was awesome!!! The 5 speed was geared for lower cruising rpm's than the Fit auto, it had skinny 13's with 38 psi in the front. I got many average tanks over 60 mpgs!!!. It too had a 10.9 gallons tank but it got killed by an idiot in a van. Who needs a hybrid? It got better mileage than my old diesel Golf!

I will try your suggestions and keep you posted! Thanks!

Old 05-16-2006, 08:50 PM
31-31-31-31-stayng steady at 31 with A/C without A/C in Sport driving mode and in auto. Did I say I am getting 31 mpg through 4 tanks?

Old 05-16-2006, 09:59 PM
37 MPG, 75% city, 25% highway. I did that by never going over 3000 rpm and not going over 2000 rpm unless I had too. I'm very pleased with the economy of my Fit Sport AT and I can see how you can get excited about getting every possible mile out of a gallon of gas, BUT it's not for me.

Do you realize how FUN it is to drive this car? Under 3000 rpm may produce great mileage but over 3000 there is a lot of fun to be had. This car handles great, the engine loves to be revved and the brakes are great. You may not be setting land speed records but it can feel like you are. The paddle shifters add to the joy, locking the transmission in 2nd for a set of tight turns, accelerate up a hill and breaking hard. If I can do all that and still get around 30 mpg, I'm not going to worry about the 7 mpg that I'm missing.

Just goes to show you what a versatile little car we have.

Last edited by gpmo; 05-17-2006 at 09:01 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Clear Lake Fit
Unfortunately in the Houston/Harris County area we are EPA mandated to the use of reformulated gasoline; basically means less polluting and less mpg than "regular" gasoline. Same for you Annie being in the greater LA area.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/rfg/whereyoulive.htm
Now I know why my the mpg in my Solara went from 25mpg in Florida to 18 in California. I just thought it was the hills!

I just had my 7th fill up. Overall my average is 29.1mpg, mixed driving. On my trip to LA a couple weeks ago I got 31.5mpg, mostly freeway, but with lots of traffic.

Old 05-17-2006, 04:13 AM
5 Year Member
Will bumping the transmission into and out of neutral/drive cause any problems? I tried that tonight as I read that there was no lock for N<->D, and indeed it seems to work quite well for coasting...

Old 05-17-2006, 04:19 AM
I've reached 5th gear in "S" mode before..

Old 05-17-2006, 04:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 4dr4life!
I just filled up this morning and I averaged 21mpg!
Im really frustraded... I try to take your advise thatsmycall and see what I get on next fill up.
Even my VR6 gas pig Jetta does 20mpg driven hard. I bet you had a slip of numbers or gallons or miles somewhere. Be sure to calc from a full-to-empty tank and use a different gas station next time -- I've met a "dishonest" pump before (but unlikely, that's a major no-no). Or maybe your fuel is 50% ethanol and you drive uphill all day towing 1000 lbs of stuff at 6000 rpm...

Last edited by xorbe; 05-17-2006 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:30 AM
I doubt it, but am not positive. Most owners manuals will discourage this because the legal department wants you to pay attention to steering and to use engine braking. I have some automatics that had a hard time figuring out what gear the transmission should be in when returned to D, but the Fit desnt seem to miss a beat.

Old 05-17-2006, 10:45 AM
>Just goes to show you what a versatile little car we have

179 miles= 34.68

It's a great car no matter your mileage, thing rips. guy got 30 only using the paddles, I think he got his money out of it, he he..

Old 05-18-2006, 10:13 AM
after two days im at 174 (all city) and just a hair under the halfway point. gonna put some highway miles on it this weekend

sport AT

Old 05-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Just returned from another 500 mile round trip. Cruising 70ish with mostly highway travel I got 36.36mpg with the sport auto, no air conditioning used. I drive about average but hit the gas for getting up to speed and for passing on the highway. I didn't take the interstate, so I have to slow down for every little farming town (every 20 or so miles).

Old 05-19-2006, 12:01 PM
178miles = 34.2 all town, short trips, shopping, mostly wife driving. I think it is fair to say it gets about 35....

Old 05-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Big Jump in MPGs!

At my last fill up I got 35.51 mpgs for 280 miles, mixed highway & city driving! This is a step up from the 29-30 I got the first 3 tanks. the car has 1500 miles on the odo now.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:52 PM
Base Fit Auto 30% hwy getting almost 33 mpg!

Base Fit Auto 30% hwy getting almost 33 mpg! I used to get under 23mpg in my 05 CRV under identical conditions.

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)