General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 11:23 PM
First 4 tanks with mixed city/highway miles - 31 to 36mpg.

800 mile trip from Mississippi Gulf Coast to Kentucky/West Virginia border, all Highway, 65 to 70 mph - 42 to 45mpg.

My wife was driving behind my F250 diesel, which has a range of 420 miles. We stopped at the same stations to gas-up and I double checked her figures.

Fit now has 1850 miles on OD. The car has far exceeded my expectations.

Old 06-04-2006, 01:59 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by wyy183
Notes: My low fuel light doesn't come on until my gauge is almost on "E". I'm getting more gas than I should in the tank. So far I've put - 12.2, 12.1, 11.8 gallons in it. Maybe the tank is made of rubber??
Are you sure that's right? Fit has a 10.2 gallon maximum (maybe +.5 for hthe extra reserve)

Old 06-05-2006, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gordio
Are you sure that's right? Fit has a 10.2 gallon maximum (maybe +.5 for hthe extra reserve)
Three different stations and the least that I've put in has been 11.8 gallons. Go figure!!

Old 06-05-2006, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wyy183
Three different stations and the least that I've put in has been 11.8 gallons. Go figure!!
The Fit manual states a 10.8 gallon tank....your gas stations needs to get their weights and measures recalibrated?

Old 06-05-2006, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
ripped by gas station

Originally Posted by Wave
The Fit manual states a 10.8 gallon tank....your gas stations needs to get their weights and measures recalibrated?
I think I f=got ( serious typo that is kinda funny)ripped at a station...my manual fit once got 28 mpg ... I dont drive any different. I asked about it and I was told the pump would not be off by more then one pint U.S.A. measurement. My low mpg is 33.xx. Average is 35.xx

Old 06-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Red face A Little Below the Mark

I've had my Fit Sport AT for almost 4 weeks now, and 1,200 miles - I have yet to break 30mpg! Most of my driving is to and from work or running errands - very little highway driving - and I'm only getting on average 25mpg! My partners new CRV is getting better mileage! The closest I got was 28.7mpg on a 300+ mile trip from central Jersey to the Poconos - mostly highway driving at 70mph. I do have the 16" alloy HFP Performance Tires on the car - does anyone know if this would have a negative impact on mpg performance? BTW - I love this car! Just not happy with the MPG so far!

Old 06-07-2006, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
Your not the only one thats getting lousy gas mileage for the Sports Auto
The best I did was 26 mpg all city driving and no heavy foot

Old 06-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by AttaBoy63
I've had my Fit Sport AT for almost 4 weeks now, and 1,200 miles - I have yet to break 30mpg! Most of my driving is to and from work or running errands - very little highway driving - and I'm only getting on average 25mpg! My partners new CRV is getting better mileage! The closest I got was 28.7mpg on a 300+ mile trip from central Jersey to the Poconos - mostly highway driving at 70mph. I do have the 16" alloy HFP Performance Tires on the car - does anyone know if this would have a negative impact on mpg performance? BTW - I love this car! Just not happy with the MPG so far!
Yeah, my MPGs are pretty bad right now. My second tank got only 22 MPG! I do short 7 miles trips to and from the train station, all stop and go. The road conditions includes lots of traffic lights and stop signs, a hilly incline, and speeding to 60 MPH in straight aways. Oh yeah, I have the AC on the coldest setting and frequently turn the fan to the third position (only for the trip back home).

Edit: I don't really step on the gas very hard, but I vary my engine rpms as much as possible for the break-in period and slowly increase the pressure on the pedal until about what feels like 1/3, and sometimes, 1/2 of the full depression.

Bigger wheels takes more torque to turn, so your 16" wheels might have an impact. But, if your tires have decreased side wall depth, ie. bigger wheels but thinner side walls, so the overall net diameter does not change, then it probably doesn't affect your MPG much.

Last edited by dancingsun; 06-07-2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AttaBoy63
I'm getting very similar MPG, and I see you're located in NJ too...my 1st tank is 24 MPG, 2nd is 24.66 MPG, and now just recently went up to 26.77 on the third tank...still very disappointing...I'm seeing a lot of lower MPGs for NJ and NY locations for some reason...I feel like taking the car in for a check up on the fuel system if things don't improve...

Old 06-09-2006, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitjunkie
I'm getting very similar MPG, and I see you're located in NJ too...my 1st tank is 24 MPG, 2nd is 24.66 MPG, and now just recently went up to 26.77 on the third tank...still very disappointing...I'm seeing a lot of lower MPGs for NJ and NY locations for some reason...I feel like taking the car in for a check up on the fuel system if things don't improve...
I think its mostly the automatics that are getting poor MPG I'd be very pleased if I can hit 200-250 at half a tank

Old 06-09-2006, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
I have an AT and I'm no slouch on the highway. I also do jackrabbit starts at traffic lights to break away from the pack (and my Fit does me proud). I drive a mix of highway (light in the morning, crowded with slow downs in the afternoon) and multiple traffic lights for half of the drive. My carpooler is a big guy, and I drive with the a/c blasting. I was getting right around 30 mpg, found that my tire pressure was low, raised it from 29 to 34, and last tank fill found I was getting about 31 mpg. The terrain is virtually flat, so I'm sure that helps. I'm trying to plug in all the variables.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
In the city, I'm getting about 30.5 mpg. I have not yet calculated for highway. I have the sport model with a/t.

Old 06-10-2006, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Trying to make some sense...

Originally Posted by fitjunkie
Pretty damn accurate i think, when the light comes on I filled up till it clicks off and divide the total trip mileage by the gallons pumped in...I do a full reset after each fill up...I just made past the 600 mileage club, so hopefully things would get better...the best MPG so far I got was 26 MPG... and it's not under full load yet with A/C...and I don't step on it either. if things don't improve, i'm gonna make full use of the warranty...doesn't seem right...
Sounds like the math is correct. However, that mileage doesn't make sense. I can think of two possible reasons... both of them unlikely. One, there is a leak in your fuel system somewhere or extremely bad fuel. However, since you have filled up a few times... likely from various stations... that would rule out the bad fuel possibility. It seems likely too that if you were leaking even a small amount of fuel... you would know of it. However, it seems that something is wrong with your fit and I would check with Honda to see if they can locate the problem. Your mileage should definately be better than that.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by todd
Sounds like the math is correct. However, that mileage doesn't make sense. I can think of two possible reasons... both of them unlikely. One, there is a leak in your fuel system somewhere or extremely bad fuel. However, since you have filled up a few times... likely from various stations... that would rule out the bad fuel possibility. It seems likely too that if you were leaking even a small amount of fuel... you would know of it. However, it seems that something is wrong with your fit and I would check with Honda to see if they can locate the problem. Your mileage should definately be better than that.
if there's a leak, light for gas leak would come on...and the leak would prob drop the MPG by more, I'm only down around 6-7 MPG (for 26 MPG auto) since I do mostly city driving with lots of stop and go traffics and small trips, i think that might be the reason...and I saw couple of other posts for other fits located in NJ/NY area with similiar MPG...so maybe the gas blend over here is pretty bad...regardless, i think I will wait a bit longer and see how it'll turn out...maybe there's problem with fuel injectors or something, but prob highly unlikely...I just want to know if any other NJ/NY owners experience higher MPG in the 30's...

Old 06-11-2006, 12:37 PM
I've checked my mileage on the last few tanks. Each time I'm in the 28s or 29s. That's all city, with a/c, and driving it for fun, not economy. Definitely think us folks in the "reformulated" gas areas are seeing lower MPGs - even though I read on the EPA website that there should only be a 1-3% reduction in fuel economy with reformulated gas.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Last week, with some pretty hard 5000rpm plus accelerations, and highway speeds mostly 75-85 mph, got 28.9 mpg.

This week I accelerated a little less harshly, and kept the speed maxxed to 65 when on highway, and got 30.2 mpg.

But, checked the tires, and they're all down around 29psi. I'll correct that this week and see what happens.

Refresher--mine's a sport AT.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:09 PM
sport AT @ 3850 miles, last mpg 187/32.4, 317/36.6, 218/34.38 mpg. All town and country, drop off pick ups.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:16 PM
I have a Sport AT that now has 747 miles. My milage was not that great the first 2 fillups, but on my third I noticed that when filling the auto shutoff was shutting off prematuraly and I kept pumping until I could not get any more gas in the tank. I had to do this a few times, maybe the fact the tankis up front? Anyway I drove 90 miles before the needle moved to the right of the "F". So far half tank and at 197 miles. I will repost after needle moves closer to "E". Just seemed that the fillup stopping prematuraly maybe some of the gas milage problems

Old 06-13-2006, 05:21 PM
I have a MPG program on my Palm and it compiles stats for me:

Sport AT, 4109 miles recorded, 46 days of ownership:

total cost of fuel = $352.48
total gallons = 128.10
Average cost per gallon = $2.752
Average cost per mile (fuel only) = $0.0858
Average miles per day = 89.3
Average days between fills = 2.9
Average miles per gallon = 32.08
Average distance on 1 fueling = 256.8
max distance on 1 fueling = 331.0
max miles per gallon = 35.98
min. miles per gallon 27.14

Old 06-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Unhappy

Just got my worst mileage yet: 23.5mpg!!! Drove only 210.5 miles when that stinkin' little gas pump light went on Took on 8.935 gallons = 23.5mpg - what the Again, that's driving to and from work, running errands very little highway driving - windows closed, no ac, no fast starts, no no no no no! This just can't be! Any recommendations? Do I go back to the dealer? What to do

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)