General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Last fillup... went 375 miles and purchased 9.152 gallons. Works itself out to just shy of 40 mpg, and that's on a highway-intensive, yet truly combined city/highway figure. Instant average was about 46 mpg.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Today I filled up with 10.1 gallons (Last fill up before that was 10.12gallons). I drove 443 miles on that tank with a mix of highway and city driving. Just a lot of cruising at highway speeds and being easy on the gas, although not driving like a senior person

Old 04-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Yesterday, I had to drive my mom from Dallas to Waco, as well as make the return trip alone. I filled up the night before and again when I got back to Dallas. We did make a couple of stops as well, two of which had the engine running for 5-10 minutes. There was also a headwind going down there. I was driving anywhere from 60-75 mph.

All things considered, I got 33.6 MPG on that tank.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by shipwrek
i got 450kms out 36 liters in almost total stop and go (traffic, lights, etc.) with an auto LX
Ive got the same car when the last time you change you air filter? And if its a K&N here`s my story,,,,,,I have a 2009 honda fit which use to give me 675km on a tank of gas in the city ,the salemans told me my mileage would inprove as the engine got broken in , two years later at 26000km on the engine it gets 450km on a tank of gas is that normal? What happens in four years ? 225km to a tank of gas? My 13 year old 1994 toyota tercel gave me 600km to a tank of gas , same size engine 1.5 litter and both atomatic trans. Has anyone had this problem and know what`s causing it ?

( News Flash ) I just learned that my K&N air filter could be the problem , because of the extra air flow causing the engine to give more gas, also when I clean and reoiled the filter it gum-up the MAP sencer so I ran to canadian tire got a reg air filter and some MAP sencer cleaner , MAP sencer is used to calculate air density and determine the engine's air mass flow rate, which in turn determines the required fuel metering for optimum combustion. Although I think K&N air filter are great filters I would never recommend cleaning it, for best results put it in and forget about it until the end of time. As for me I`II stick to Fram air filters and hope the environmentalists don`t find me. P.S my Fit now gets 700km to a tank in the city oh BABY.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by henryd1981
Yesterday, I had to drive my mom from Dallas to Waco, as well as make the return trip alone. I filled up the night before and again when I got back to Dallas. We did make a couple of stops as well, two of which had the engine running for 5-10 minutes. There was also a headwind going down there. I was driving anywhere from 60-75 mph.

All things considered, I got 33.6 MPG on that tank.
Man it has been a windy bitch here lately. It has been out of the southwest so your mileage would have been affected coming and going so like you said "All things considered" it would be hard to expect much better than what you got.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Just got my best mpg (bought 2011 TF in March) so far: 318.5 trip miles & 34.4 mpg. I went with 91 oct at Shell for the last fill up. 89 before that and got better mileage with the 91.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member
I live in San Francisco, which has hills and stop signs/lights at every intersection. I get about 18 MPG city, it pisses me off to no extent. Can anybody that lives in a metro area tell me what they get.

I have a slight feeling that my car is either a lemon, or there is something wrong with the tuning or coil packs. I've always had horrid mileage except when I first purchased the car and drove from Idaho to California, got 35 mpg highway.

Car is stock except for short ram intake

Old 05-02-2011, 06:13 PM
yea i dont get how people get 40+ i really need to know how they are acheving that. for some reason i think they are just full of BS> LOL . I want proof.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:12 AM
I currently reside in La Jolla, CA, craploads of hills here. Just filled up on Saturday for 9.2 gallons with about 230 mi on trip odo for a 25.6 mpg. That tank was about 90% city, 10% highway. Not as bad as fitcops, but I kept thinking it was pretty low compared to what everyone brags about on here...

My highest has been 36.4 mpg with 90% highway on my trip from Norcal to down here as a new car on 101. 40+ seems impossible to me. >_>

Old 05-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by fitcop
I live in San Francisco, which has hills and stop signs/lights at every intersection. I get about 18 MPG city, it pisses me off to no extent. Can anybody that lives in a metro area tell me what they get.

I have a slight feeling that my car is either a lemon, or there is something wrong with the tuning or coil packs. I've always had horrid mileage except when I first purchased the car and drove from Idaho to California, got 35 mpg highway.

I used a K&N air filter and had the same problem poor mileage, I removed it and the mileage in-proved some but not as good as the first year but its still very cold down here in Ottawa,Canada so I think it'll come back to normal once the weather warms-up.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by fitcop

I think it's bay area gas... I have a K&N drop-in in a modified oem airbox. I used to get 36+ mpg with it consistently, and now am getting 25mpg. Even my accord coupe with many mods, subs, big wheels gets better mileage and its 11 years old, And I drive it harder. My gf's civic is getting 31 and it is almost always 32+. All cars are excessively maintained with synthetic fluids. I have never seen as much mileage drop as my fit, and I'm not even IN SF, but drive Santa Rosa-Marin every day. I even have scangaugeII and the fit shows worst mileage consistently.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Smells like lemon.

I here ya, its so frustrating this was my first new car , I had a lot of old cars and never had this problem.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Hello again guys!
So I'm still getting (averaging) 30-31mpg using the old, how much gas to how many miles to the last fill up (i.e. reset trip meter after every fill up).

This can be all highway driving or mixed. i live in good old flat land FLA.

I just had my on board computer (MPG ) recalculated and it's now at .65MPG difference compared to a 4.21MPG.

My lifters have been done and there seems to be no difference in my MPG.

So what gives is my car just a lemon? is the timing off?

Old 06-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Realistically, the '07-'08 Fit Sports with the 5AT typically end up in the low 30's for MPG if driven calmly. I noticed that consistantly setting my cruise control at 62 instead of 66 would raise my MPG by about 1 mpg. Driving at 70 mph costs you mileage.

The manual versions of this car do get close to 40mpg. Some people post their results in the wrong thread. When I was more active here, I noticed that a lot of the somewhat unbelievable milage reports came from Canada. The conversation back then revealed that some parts of Canada use Imperial gallons which are 20% more fuel per gallon than a US gallon. 40 Imperial mpg is 32 US mpg. That puts them right back in the midddle of the 5AT mpg crowd.

I've hit 35 mpg on a tank that was 98% highway. Dividing all of the gas that I have ever bought for my '07 Fit 5AT into the total miles (just over 60,000 miles) works out to the mid 32's mpg. That is for the life of my car. The size of this sampling removes most of the measurement or calculation errors. That is real life mpg for 4 years of varied conditions. It is a far cry from my 1990 Geo Metro 5MT that averaged just under 52 mpg over 130,000 miles in 6 years.

That said, I like my Fit. It's fun to drive, looks good and I enjoy hauling strange stuff that shouldn't fit into a car this small. Mileage king? Not really, but it's good enough for me.

Last edited by ewdysar; 06-01-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
exactly

Originally Posted by ewdysar
Realistically, the '07-'08 Fit Sports with the 5AT typically end up in the low 30's for MPG if driven calmly. I noticed that consistantly setting my cruise control at 62 instead of 66 would raise my MPG by about 1 mpg. Driving at 70 mph costs you mileage.

The manual versions of this car do get close to 40mpg. Some people post their results in the wrong thread. When I was more active here, I noticed that a lot of the somewhat unbelievable milage reports came from Canada. The conversation back then revealed that some parts of Canada use Imperial gallons which are 20% more fuel per gallon than a US gallon. 40 Imperial mpg is 32 US mpg. That puts them right back in the midddle of the 5AT mpg crowd.

I've hit 35 mpg on a tank that was 98% highway. Dividing all of the gas that I have ever bought for my '07 Fit 5AT into the total miles (just over 60,000 miles) works out to the mid 32's mpg. That is for the life of my car. The size of this sampling removes most of the measurement or calculation errors. That is real life mpg for 4 years of varied conditions. It is a far cry from my 1990 Geo Metro 5MT that averaged just under 52 mpg over 130,000 miles in 6 years.

That said, I like my Fit. It's fun to drive, looks good and I enjoy hauling strange stuff that shouldn't fit into a car this small. Mileage king? Not really, but it's good enough for me.
Finally someone who said it right. I don't see my 08' Sport 5sp auto getting anything over the low 30's highway. I can't speak for the sticks or CVT's. My best milage is 34.5. I can go 360-380 miles till the gas light comes on, then another 50. But I also can fill up with 13.5 or more gallons. I do this by filling to first click, shake car side to side, fill another .2 gallons, shake... I can put in 2 - 2 1/2 more gallons doing this. Makes a big difference in total milage. Which calculates out to 33.5 MPG. Driving 70-75, light on the gas, coasting to lights, stop signs etc...

Old 06-06-2011, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
I have been filling to the click every time and resetting the odometer for the last 4 tanks. Every fillup has clicked off right at 8.9, 9.1 gallons or so (eerie right?) and I've been averaging 32mpg.

Which is GREAT b/c I've been rolling at 75-80 mph on the interstate. Some drafting of the big rigs, but mostly going about 77 mph (a tad right before 80). Sure, I have an advantage b/c I'm Florida and what we call a hill most people call an incline

I have an 1100 mile round trip coming up (more or less) in two weeks. I am going to assume, if like my last trip, I stay at 70 I can hit 40mpg.

But 70 seems so slow now. 5 months of commuting 130 miles a day is drilling into me this urge to stay with the flow of traffic and go faster.

I used to drive slooooooower. I miss that because that meant my commute to work was 3.2 miles each way

And yea...it's an automatic.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:37 AM
Koi
5 Year Member
I've been averaging 23 mpg for the last 10+ fillups (supercharged).

I filled my transmission mount recently with a duramix epoxy to help keep the engine in place... and the very next fill up I hit 27 mpg. Coincidence? I haven't gone over 23 in a long long time.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Same thing here! I have an 08' A/T Sport and it drives me crazy when it keeps downshifting on every little hill....it kills my gas mileage! I got 26mpg last fuel up and I drive 90% interstate w/ cruise control going about 75! I switched to the 'S' mode and manually shift to overdrive to prevent it from downshifting and I'm back up to about 34mpg.....speaking of which.....those of you out there that drive about 75, how many RPM's does your car do at about 75? Thanks!

Old 08-12-2011, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
Dunno to be honest.

I'm off from work the next 3 days (hallelujah ) but if i do get on the I-75 death rush, I'll remember to check.

Seriously I try to avoid the interstate/driving on off days unless it's to the beach. Can't do chores around the house now, but going to the beach...totally do-able.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
@75 I'm taching 2.8-2.9k rpm (hard to see the exact line). My mpg ave. is high 20's and low to mid 30's combined driving.

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)