General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vinnymac
Every since you convinced me to burn supreme about a year ago, my car is now averaging 39-40+ on the highway.... I haven't looked back since
Granted I rarely go over 60 mph..
Silver Bullet gave me a link to some info in a 1967 magazine about different brands and octane grades.. I was surprised that back then they said the lower octane fuel gets better mileage at highway speeds and premium worked better around town... The ECUs in today's cars, compression ratios and RPM has changed the way it worked back then... vinnymac, you have an automatic transmission don't you?

Old 01-22-2012, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Silver Bullet gave me a link to some info in a 1967 magazine about different brands and octane grades.. I was surprised that back then they said the lower octane fuel gets better mileage at highway speeds and premium worked better around town... The ECUs in today's cars, compression ratios and RPM has changed the way it worked back then... vinnymac, you have an automatic transmission don't you?
Yes.. I have an A/T

Old 01-22-2012, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
Every since you convinced me to burn supreme about a year ago, my car is now averaging 39-40+ on the highway.... I haven't looked back since
Granted I rarely go over 60 mph..
Funny! If I had your car Vinny, it would be in a glass case in my living room.... You'll run out of road going 60+ there...

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
Silver Bullet gave me a link to some info in a 1967 magazine about different brands and octane grades.. I was surprised that back then they said the lower octane fuel gets better mileage at highway speeds and premium worked better around town... The ECUs in today's cars, compression ratios and RPM has changed the way it worked back then...
So true TC, the technology is bordering on taking away driver skill sets. It's added value to those who know long-hand but crippling to those who don't have the basics... much like a cashier who can't figure out the change coz the register/computer went down... Just my take...

Old 01-22-2012, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
I was almost sure vinnymac had automatic.. At the lower revs because of taller gearing the ignition timing would advance more... Though I haven't driven an automatic Fit I would think that his car doesn't downshift as frequently when lightly accelerating in top gear and up shifts at lower RPM when taking off and accelerating from a stop..... 20 years ago I found out that the kids then were much more competent than I was with new technology... I had bought a new cash register for my bicycle shop and was trying to set the thing up when one of the guys that worked for me came in and had it done in minutes... It took me twice as long to get him to understand how to count back change... A friend of mine that had degrees in electronics technology and engineering was terrified by any car that had an ECU and wouldn't own a vehicle that didn't have a distributor and points ignition... The guy died believing that it was all voodoo and evil yet he had been employed at Texas Instruments as a technician and worked on helicopter electrical systems when in the army...

Last edited by Texas Coyote; 01-22-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
Old dogs, young dogs, old tricks, new tricks

I've had my share, having been witness to the electronic progression from vacuum tubes to microprocessors and nano-tech first hand. Nowadays, kids are more adept to the newer technology. Its easier to hand off something for a kid to figure out the set up than read an encyclopedia-thick owners manual. But not to say old dogs can't learn. We just learn it a little slower and not often a reflection of ability or intelligence... just becomes of lesser importance...

What I find is its more challenging to explain to the younger ones how things work from a fundamental point of view and the progression to how things are now. 3 letters always get in the way... WHY?

Old 01-23-2012, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Darnit Soob, you really are the King of Wisdom.....

Old 01-23-2012, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
Darnit Soob, you really are the King of Wisdom.....
Thanks Vinny but not really... Just sharing experience from a high mileage standpoint. Aging is not bad, not putting things in perspective can be... Getting older and wiser is not always a given... but nice if it is...

Used to watch "Kung Fu" a lot... heheh...

Last edited by Subie; 01-23-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Subie
Thanks Vinny but not really... Just sharing experience from a high mileage standpoint. Aging is not bad, not putting things in perspective can be... Getting older and wiser is not always a given... but nice if it is...

Used to watch "Kung Fu" a lot... heheh...
Yup, and I might add the 'King of Humbleness' too...

Old 01-23-2012, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Mahalo Vinny! You're very kind!

Old 01-26-2012, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Last fall I did a road trip: 3001 miles averaging 38.1 mpg on the meter. That included a lot of mountains and back roads in PA and WV, and a lot of interstate driving from Kansas City to and from that area. I'm pleased!

In general around town I get about 33 mpg. On the interstate I get 38-42, depending on how fast I go and how the wind is blowing. I got 44 once with a good tailwind and not hurrying! I've gotten 27 a couple of trips with a brutal headwind.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 AM
First week of ownership I averaged 35mpg, second week I averaged 38mpg. I'm slowly learning how to drive the car to get the best mileage, and I think I'll hit 40mpg this week. The car has 60k miles on it so I need to do some basic maintenance, ie valve adjustment/air filter/transmission fluid.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Squid
After 118 miles of driving in Sport Mode using only the paddle shifters, my mpg dropped to 25.9 ...all "city" driving, i.e. no freeway, but not exactly stop & go either.

I'll try a "D" only tankful next.

Sport mode is just that. For sport fun not for saving fuel. The D knows best Time to up and down shift unless you want to shift extra early and be light on the pedal but D does that too. I've read on other threads that you can use Sport mode on the FWY to keep the tranny from down shifting on hills. Don't know how hard that is on your tranny either but good luck on those MPGs. Yesterday on the way home from work with 1/2 a tank left I was averaging 37mpg via my 2012 FITmpg gauge When I got home 37 miles later I averaged 39mpg. My speed- 59mph. Good luck on your MPG hunting.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
The last tank for me was 34.61 mpg. I'm impressed because, this is city/hwy in metro Atlanta.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by 2012FitFan
The last tank for me was 34.61 mpg. I'm impressed because, this is city/hwy in metro Atlanta.
That's pretty good for mixed driving. I get low 40's to high 30's during the week because I'm in commute mode 80 miles round trip and I can't be running late. Weekends is mostly city stop and go the best I get is around 33mpg. Our FIT's have potential though. Cold tire pressure set to 35psi so-Cal driver.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ScoobyFIT
That's pretty good for mixed driving. I get low 40's to high 30's during the week because I'm in commute mode 80 miles round trip and I can't be running late. Weekends is mostly city stop and go the best I get is around 33mpg. Our FIT's have potential though. Cold tire pressure set to 35psi so-Cal driver.
Very nice! I'm at about 70 miles round trip here. Metro Atlanta traffic isn't pretty. I take mostly a city route in morning and mostly a highway route in afternoon.

Coming from a Dodge Caliber, I'm very happy with my mpg thus far.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Very nice! I'm at about 70 miles round trip here. Metro Atlanta traffic isn't pretty. I take mostly a city route in morning and mostly a highway route in afternoon.

Coming from a Dodge Caliber, I'm very happy with my mpg thus far.
Can't go wrong with Honda. Back in 2008 I passed up getting the 09 FIT and got a 09 Civic Si instead. Loved it but I got tired of speeding tickets. Life in the FIT has been great so far. Went to Vegas in it 400 miles round trip family of 4 trunk loaded and it handled that trip like a champ.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Can't go wrong with Honda. Back in 2008 I passed up getting the 09 FIT and got a 09 Civic Si instead. Loved it but I got tired of speeding tickets. Life in the FIT has been great so far. Went to Vegas in it 400 miles round trip family of 4 trunk loaded and it handled that trip like a champ.
Cool!

It's really is a solid car. We're looking forward to our first long trip in May. Should be fun hitting the beaches in the brunswick area of GA.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Cool!

It's really is a solid car. We're looking forward to our first long trip in May. Should be fun hitting the beaches in the brunswick area of GA.
Road trips are fun. I can't wait to upload some pics of my FIT to this site. Too lazy I get on a PC.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
Road trips are fun. I can't wait to upload some pics of my FIT to this site. Too lazy I get on a PC.
Can't wait for the pics!

How's 35 psi cold doing you? Does it change the ride much?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Can't wait for the pics!

How's 35 psi cold doing you? Does it change the ride much?
The ride is slightly stiffer but then again I have Eibach pro kit on my FIT. the higher PSI and lowered ride really shine on the FWY.

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Automatic transmission (5AT)