General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
So you're doing a "pulse and coast" then with the engine running? What speed are you using for the low/high?

And Pb&h, you're saying that when coming to a short light now, you bump start rather than coming to a stop and key starting?

Last edited by RichXKU; 06-27-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
That's why I called it a modified P&G. Yes, Pulse and coast eng ON. To be honest, it's all over the place on the speed, both high and low. The traffic around me makes it very hard to run between to speeds, so I kind of just run up at WOT to a point that I will coast within 1 sec of the car or truck in from of me than coast back to maybe 15 below that point. If I have traffic behind me, the coast back is also limited. Without a doubt, this P&G is work and if not careful can upset other drivers. I try my best not to force cars behind me to have issues with me slowing into them and also not get too close to ones in front. I posted the peak mph to show how I did go that high some times. Seems to be unreal effective. Time will tell
As you may of recall I posted a 3:1 P&G ratio. I was watching the I-95 part of this close to day and can say the SG is reading 22mpg on the pulse and around 300mpg on the glide.

Shawn I did not follow what you said your doing.

Last edited by pcs0snq; 06-27-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by RichXKU
And Pb&h, you're saying that when coming to a short light now, you bump start rather than coming to a stop and key starting?

Correct, Sir.

Again, I am assuming that starting the car wastes the same amount of fuel as idling for 7 seconds. I have no proof that this is true only speculation from others.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pb and h
Correct, Sir.

Again, I am assuming that starting the car wastes the same amount of fuel as idling for 7 seconds. I have no proof that this is true only speculation from others.
Shawn, From what I understand you will use the same fuel starting using the starter or using the bump start on a roll. The difference is in what gets the extra abuse. The clutch or the starter.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Paul, I pretty much see the same exact numbers on pulse. In fact I find it impossible to get under 22 MPG on pulse even at WOT. My coasts are usually around 250 MPG though.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
OK
Just to run some numbers on this.
I took the test numbers together with SG mpg and this is what I see.
-------- *** TIME***Distance***GAL****MPG
pulse***12.5s***0.174miles**0.00791gal**22mpg
glide***38.5s***0.539miles**0.001796gal**300mpg
73mpg with 300mpg glide Pauls SG
71mpg with 250mpg glide Rich's SG

Old 06-27-2008, 12:01 PM
what speed were you going when you started the pulse?
what speed did you end at when you stopped the pulse?
what speed did you end at when you ended the glide?
was this on flat ground?

I have read that it takes no fuel to "bump start" only to manually start since you are moving when you bump start and the fuel starts flowing and for me I am ready for the fuel to be flowing to increase my speed, slowly. I do not know how to prove this though.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pb and h
what speed were you going when you started the pulse?
what speed did you end at when you stopped the pulse?
what speed did you end at when you ended the glide?
was this on flat ground?
Shawn. I live in SE Fla no hills at all

You must of missed this
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
That's why I called it a modified P&G. Yes, Pulse and coast eng ON. To be honest, it's all over the place on the speed, both high and low. The traffic around me makes it very hard to run between to speeds, so I kind of just run up at WOT to a point that I will coast within 1 sec of the car or truck in from of me than coast back to maybe 15 below that point. If I have traffic behind me, the coast back is also limited. Without a doubt, this P&G is work and if not careful can upset other drivers. I try my best not to force cars behind me to have issues with me slowing into them and also not get too close to ones in front. I posted the peak mph to show how I did go that high some times. Seems to be unreal effective. Time will tell
As you may of recall I posted a 3:1 P&G ratio. I was watching the I-95 part of this close to day and can say the SG is reading 22mpg on the pulse and around 300mpg on the glide.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:17 PM
I caught that but I thought you obtained more data.

You and Rich must find the optimum speed range for the P&G!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:20 PM
TIP
First tank from dealer

322.8 miles

8.67 gal

37.23 mpg

Pretty much highway driving. Tires are a 32psi I believe or whatever is recommended.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Methods to increase your fuel mileage in my 2008 Honda Fit
Paul Schultz
6-13-2008

As an intro, the items listed below are not listed in order of effectiveness, but every one has been verified to increase the mpg on my 5 speed Fit over the last 6000 miles and 4 months.

When calculating your mpg using the trip odometer divided by the pump gal, you should be skeptical of the gas that you pump. Pumps have proven to be off by as much as 40%. What I recommend is get a 1 gal clear container that can seal gas and measure in 1.00 gal of gas. Make a mark so it can be seen easy. I recommend you frequent the same station, do that and use the same pump, even if you have to wait. Pick the pump you like and use your calibrated container to check that the 1st gal pumped is in fact 1.00 gal. If it does not, find a pump that does and stick with that pump. Once you establish that, it’s not necessary to recheck unless you see shift in your mpg or you change station or pumps. Anything else is a crapshoot.

Driving with the engine off saves gas for sure. You have to make sure your car can do that without issues. The Honda Fit has electric power steering, so as long as the key is in position II, it works fine. The vacuum boosted power brakes are good for 6 good stops with engine off. After that they work, just take way more pressure. Most cars will not lock the wheel unless the key is pulled. Don’t pull it.

I have been doing this in a pretty congested road area in SE Fl. I have yet to insight a single case of rage. You have to keep others in mind and stay to the right. If you are creating a bottleneck, speed up or get out of the way. It’s not that big of a deal to be considerate of folks in a big hurry and practice this stuff.

Buy a Scan Gauge and use it. Mine is always within 1% or less of miles driven and gal’s used. Mount it in a good spot to see and mess with as you drive. Set it up in the hybrid mode not gas engine. That will let it keep track of the miles driven with engine off. Also set the gal to the next integer value of the tank volume. Use the “current” tip gauge and reset to get short avg’s when testing. The instant reading is about useless because it moves all over.

Keep a logbook in the car and take notes of everything.

OK Here’s a list of what I have done and proven.
  • Pump the tires to the sidewall pressure when the tire is hot, after a trip. The idea is run the sidewall pressure but never exceed it.
  • Never warm up the eng, just start and drive.
  • When you park, try and find a pull through spot so when it’s time to go you just drive off. ie drive in and drive off. No backing.
  • Accelerate medium to brisk to speed. Slow accelerating, contrary to belief, wastes gas. Hard acceleration wastes gas.
Drive like you have NO BRAKES!
  • Anticipate your stops a ¼ mile or longer before you get to them.
  • On the freeway coast with eng off to the exit and stop. If you have a green light or merge lane, coast till your 10 under the limit on that next street than let the clutch out and restart. (assume it’s down hill like most)
  • Use this same method at rural urban intersections. If you have to stop, just start the engine and go when the cars start to move.
  • At any stop (that’s longer than 15 sec), stop the engine. Restart when cars start to move… no sooner.
  • If you look well ahead at an intersection light change you can lift off the gas and coast with eng off. If it’s close, just keep in gear and lift off the gas. Engine braking. The Fit’s and most new cars shut down the fuel flow 100% when in this mode. You will not glide as far because of the engine braking, but the fuel flow is zero, the same as eng off.
  • Starting the car uses about 7 sec worth of fuel so the coasting in gear if it’s a short coast works the best.
  • Using a combination of these things will take some time to get use to but it’s the method that works the best.
  • When you get very good at intersections, you can get to the point that you see the light change and coast to a slow point just catching the traffic as they leave the intersection after the light goes green.
  • What I have coined, “1 sec drafting”. Soon as I get on the freeway I go slow and look for my “host” 18 wheeler or other large box truck. When they pass, pull up within 1 sec of them and stay with them. 1st thing you do is inspect the rear tires to make sure they look inflated and nothing about to fall off. I keep looking at that as I draft. 1 sec is not real close, but good enough to keep most from pulling in between you and the host, enough that the trucker will not get pissed and if a cop sees you, you are OK. Pay attention, you can stop faster, but only if you see him stop. If you can’t pay attention stop this technique. This is good for 10 to 15% mpg.
  • Never go faster than 65mph. Slower is always better for Eco.
  • Unless it’s so hot you’re in pain, leave the A/C off and the windows 4” cracked. Under 50mph, you can just open them up.
  • Pulse and Glide or fast auto start. This can be a number of things. When going down a hill cut the engine off and neutral coast or if steep eng coast in gear. Restart when below seed limit. I recommend that. P&G is the practice of accelerating to a speed say 60mph, than neutral coast (with engine off) to a lower speed say 40mph, Pop the clutch and start over. Set the high and low to fit the road speed limit and traffic. This is good for 15%, but can be unsafe because of the number of steps needed to complete the cycle. I do not recommend this unless you are all alone on the road.
  • Notice the winds. Any type of head wind kills mpg. 1 sec drafting and or slowing down are your only defense unless you can just wait till it calms down. Like wise a tail wind in very helpful. I have clocked well over 65mpg on a 15 mile trip with 1 sec drafting and a 20mph tail wind.
  • Try different routs to work and use the SG to figure out what the best way is.
  • Log your miles in the CleanMPG, An authoritative source on fuel economy and hypermiling web site. Tracking your results helps you see results.
  • Join a form for your car and learn what other do.
  • Use the thinnest oil the OEM recommends. Never over fill.
  • Keep your air and gas filters clean.
All great information. I'm just getting started trying to figure out hypermiling, so I just pumped my tires to 45 (cold) which may equal out to the 51 hot, but I'll have to check. I've been playing with FAS but it scares me just a bit...I don't want to give excessive wear on the engine, etc. Chalk it up to n00bness. I have yet to order my ScanGuard but from what I'm reading, it looks like it's worth the investment.

Thanks again for hanging in there!

Old 06-29-2008, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bonsaikc
All great information. I'm just getting started trying to figure out hypermiling, so I just pumped my tires to 45 (cold) which may equal out to the 51 hot, but I'll have to check. I've been playing with FAS but it scares me just a bit...I don't want to give excessive wear on the engine, etc. Chalk it up to n00bness. I have yet to order my ScanGuard but from what I'm reading, it looks like it's worth the investment.

Thanks again for hanging in there!
Scangauge... I hope you didn't order something called a scanguard, sounds like a cheap knockoff.

I would advise not going for the advanced stuff yet. Stick with the basics. till you're hitting over 400 mi/tank a couple times.
Lately I've found good compromise that lets me keep the engine on and still hit the big numbers.

And now on to my latest record:
3 tank PRs (1 per car) set in 7 days! I am on a roll this week!

Took a trip to the shore this weekend with the Fit. Didn't record individual segments, but it was approx 58.x over 80mi from home to my friends house, then another 58.x over 65 miles from there to the shore. 56.x from shore to friend's. Stayed overnight at the parents then got 57.0 from there back to my house.

Now for the tank record:
548.7mi
55.5 MPG

For this tank I used pulse and coast 50-60 and did not Fas during most glides, just NICE-On Coasting , only cutting the engine for longer downgrades, and at long lights. It seems the hotter weather helped make the biggest improvement here, and/or the fuel used during NICE-On Coasting was negligible.

Everybody hitting 500+mi tanks say HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
(hoooooooooo!)

I <3 my Fit!

Old 06-30-2008, 11:24 PM
I have 2100 Kms on my fit and I am lucky if I get 450 Kms to a tank of gas (This translates to less than 300 miles). Is this normal? will it get better.

Last edited by 2K8SPORT; 07-01-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:10 AM
5 Year Member
Just got 35.8 MPG, 100% city driving. =) Keeps getting better.

and I'm no hypermiler...

Old 07-01-2008, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
i used P&S, DWB, FAS, DFCO, tailgated a truck, and other tricks and got 50mpg on the way home from work. my personal best *takes bow*. usually i get anything between 42-45

Old 07-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Good job everyone! keep it up. I am hoping to see near 50mpg this tank as well. I have been doing more Pulse and Coasting as well which I don't know why I haven't especially in shorter stretches of the road where the P&G is just pointless.........hind sight is ALWAYS 20/20!

Old 07-02-2008, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
2K8Sport wrote:

I have 2100 Kms on my fit and I am lucky if I get 450 Kms to a tank of gas (This translates to less than 300 miles). Is this normal? will it get better.
You show that you live in BC, but no mention of a town or city. Perhaps you are in Vancouver? My brother-in-law lives there, and he drives two Fits, one is auto and the other manual. But he only gets about 31 mpg, in US gal terms. He seems happy with that, as he does nothing about hypermiling. Your Fit will do much better than that, but you must do something about your driving habits and possible hypermiling.

Personally, I would bump my tire pressure up to 45 psi (not sure what the metric equiv is), and then try that for a few tanks of gas. You will be amazed at the difference.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:01 PM
In for another tank:

516.5 miles, 9.7 gallons at $3.83 per gallon yields $37.50 for the tank and 53.2mpg baby:
Name:  IMG00195.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  13.8 KB

I did more of the pulse and coast(ICE on) except on long coast which I would glide(ICE off). I think I will try not to P&G this entire tank but P&C(ICE on) and see what difference it makes. Also, I did not go as slow as the tank in which I achieved 56mpg which means my technique is getting better.

How bout a pic of drafting a semi going backwards:

Old 07-02-2008, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
That's kickin! I agree with Pulse and Coast vs. Pulse and glide at least on the highway. The numbers are similar especially when it's hot.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Oh, get this shit! I have been rollin on 45psig and have been for the past 4 tanks! I forgot that I lowered my psig to 40 for a trip and when I went to inflate them back to 50psig the air pump was a big pain in the ass and I quit at 45psig. I knew the ride felt a little soft. As of tonight I am back at 50psig...............60mpg here I come!

I know I keep saying I am going to quit...........I try, I do.

I was doing the math yesterday and if I can get 500miles a tank vs. 400miles then I would save $600 a year just driving to work at $3.80 a gallon.

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)