General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Damn you Rich - wish I could say 3 tanks since May!

Paul - you are sounding like me when I couldn't reach my goals! I give it a week. I know how you feel though.........the other guys don't have to content with the jungle temperatures that we do. I am getting so tired of 90min one way commute. However, I keep trying to push myself - for what I really don't know. Larry and Andrew are kicking ass with the mpg.

I think a hybrid is definitly in the near future - like 2009.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I was just wondering has anybody tested if there was a difference in MPG between octanes. I was having this argument with my brother the other day and I just wanted to see who was right. 91>89 or 89>91.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
Been sucking down A/C and gas for 2 days now. 40mpg Avg

Feel like a bolt of lightning may hit me

Old 08-09-2008, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Satellite wrote:
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I was just wondering has anybody tested if there was a difference in MPG between octanes. I was having this argument with my brother the other day and I just wanted to see who was right. 91>89 or 89>91.

Hey Satellite,

I have been mentioning this for some time now, but no replies. I am in New Mexico, and our problem here is different than yours. Our regular gas is 86 octane, not 87. I burn this regularly in our Fit, and also in our Nissan Altima 3.5 Litre, which is supposed to use high test. In my experience, both cars run very well on 86 octane, but I believe that is because we are in a dry climate and also at high altitude (7500 ft).
I just returned from Denver, where reg gas is only 85 octane....I did not buy any of that.
Someone on this forum earlier stated that new cars, with fuel injection, can adapt to any of the octanes....an interesting concept. My experience here seems to back up this idea.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by satelliteyrs00
In a Fit 87 >*
There is no reason to use anything higher.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:33 AM
Awesome! Thanks guys, I won by the way.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
High Speed

Hey Hypermilers,

I saw a thread on here (but cannot find it now), where a couple of guys were driving their Fits regularly at 95 -105 mph. Clearly not worrying about gas mileage.

But I questioned this fact, and at least I wondered what kind of terrain or tailwind they were driving in.

Anyone else here drive that fast? I have been in the low 80's a couple of times when passing on a 2-lane road, but that is it.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Ask me again in 2010 - I'm taking my Fit to Germany I wonder what the top speed will be....

Old 08-11-2008, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Mela said,

Ask me again in 2010 - I'm taking my Fit to Germany I wonder what the top speed will be...

Mela....don't leave us. Are you going soon? At least keep this forum bookmarked on your laptop.

We know there is no speed limit on some of the Autobahns in Germany, but don't forget.....you are now a Hypermiler.

You will have to change the nameplate on the rear of your car to a 'Jazz'.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:17 PM
60.489 US MPG = 568.6miles 9.4gallons

Yeah but that damn Larry got 64.9mpg???

Last edited by pb and h; 08-11-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Nice work!

I think my streak of improvement is over for now. I just filled up tonight, 527.6 mi @ 50.03 MPG
(10.544 gal)
I'm hoping to pop back next tank...

Old 08-11-2008, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Called you two out on the Clean form. Need one or both of you to tell me in details how you do it. 60 that is I'm lost right now on this. Busted my ass and can barely get 50. Rich you have a SG get me back on track. Details are nice

Old 08-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Paul -

You can't go over 55mph. And I did P&G from 50-40mph the pretty much and 40-30P&G when in towns. As, you know I don't have a SG so I would count 10 sec increase from 40-50mph for the pulse and then glide to 40mph. I got to the point now that I don't even count but just feel the slow increase. I shifted at 2k most of the time and even shifted around 1700rpm when I remembered. I glide or FAS every damn chance I get........even the times it seems useless.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pb and h
Paul -

You can't go over 55mph. And I did P&G from 50-40mph the pretty much and 40-30P&G when in towns. As, you know I don't have a SG so I would count 10 sec increase from 40-50mph for the pulse and then glide to 40mph. I got to the point now that I don't even count but just feel the slow increase. I shifted at 2k most of the time and even shifted around 1700rpm when I remembered. I glide or FAS every damn chance I get........even the times it seems useless.
So on the 60mpg tank
How much in percent miles was 40-30 and how much 50-40?

Hard to image 10mpg between that and what I did. mine was a 45-60 for 80% of miles with soft acceleration as recommended by Andrew or Larry and pulse around limit on other roads. 50 to 35 or so.

I saw you video and it's looked like you glided for 5 min's

Hey the A/C is great

I'm pissed about not being able to fill constantly. I'm going to try what Wayne suggested.
Did you eye ball my curve I made?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:54 PM
the majority was 50-40(2/3), then 40-30, then 55-45(the shortest)

- saw the scatter plot - variation, haha. I can usually tell by my fuel gauge how many gallons it will take to fill though and from my experience of comparing my wife's CRV FCD and doing the math from the fill at first click it has never been 1 mpg difference. This last fill for her tank was only 0.5mpg differnce from the FCD in the CRV(CRV being higher by 0.5mpg)

Last edited by pb and h; 08-11-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Paul - I think I am done going this slow. For real, I don't think it is worth it for the amount of time it takes me to get to work and the amount of time it takes away from my family. I know plenty of people have longer commutes than I do but 1.5hrs is too much for me and it has been wearing on me for some time now.

Side note- 36k on the clock and I did change the oil this weekend using 0w20 mobile 1 syn, after going to 2 different wal-marts(couldn't find 5w20). Also, I only used 3qts including using a new Honda oil filter which put me at the half way mark on the oil dip stick(between the two holes).

Old 08-12-2008, 12:05 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Paul - I think I am done going this slow. For real, I don't think it is worth it for the amount of time it takes me to get to work and the amount of time it takes away from my family. I know plenty of people have longer commutes than I do but 1.5hrs is too much for me and it has been wearing on me for some time now.
I have a lot of respect for you for sticking with it as long as you did. I have a long commute too, and it is a big reason I chose a Fit in the first place. I used 35MPG and $3.75/gal as the numbers when figuring out expenses and at those amounts the Fit pays its own car payment in fuel savings.

I wanted to maximize fuel economy too, but knowing my penchant for going overboard with stuff I set guidelines for myself at the start. First was that time trumps money. The longer the commute, the more this matters. Second was that I was not willing to compromise (much) comfort or (any) safety in the name of MPG.

I tried P&G but decided after a few tankfuls decided it was more futzing around than I was willing to tolerate. I'm much happier setting the cruise and fiddling with my Sirius radio. I'm doing aero stuff (Beatrush underpanel just went on, more to come) and I may see what taking 6+ pounds off each wheel/tire combination will do for FE. I'm inching towards consistent 40MPG commuting tanks, at which point I intend to declare complete and total victory and stop worrying about mileage altogether.

Again, kudos for staying with it and for hitting some awesome numbers. Welcome to the ranks of the semi-hypers!

Last edited by wdb; 08-12-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
@nmfit2008: yeah, we have to leave in spring of 2010. My husband works for a german company here and has a limited contract over 3 years..so we have to go. But we'll take both cars with us (the Fit is about 7K more over there, the Impreza costs double the amount of what we paid here!)

Apropos 87 vs. higher octane fuel, I always take mid grade. Fuel in Germany starts with 91 octane, you don't get anything lower than that, and most people take 95 or 98 octane.
Also, with my old car (Renault Twingo ) I could see a clear difference in low grade fuel vs. higher quality. So I stick with it.

I don't envy all the guys here with a long commute - had that with my old job and it's not fun. Luckily I now only live 3.5 miles from work, my hubby drives about 10 miles..that's just great

Old 08-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by nmfit2008
Hey Hypermilers,

I saw a thread on here (but cannot find it now), where a couple of guys were driving their Fits regularly at 95 -105 mph. Clearly not worrying about gas mileage.

But I questioned this fact, and at least I wondered what kind of terrain or tailwind they were driving in.

Anyone else here drive that fast? I have been in the low 80's a couple of times when passing on a 2-lane road, but that is it.
I haven't cruised that high but I will admit I did do a stupid thing when I first got my Fit. It was passed midnight on an empty freeway when I looked down and i was cruising around 110 and decided to top it out my limiter was about 114. I slowed down to 80 right after but at no time did I feel I was losing control of the car, I love my Fit. Oh, and I'm not sure how much but I definitely lost a lot of gas. I haven't done it since but it is definitely capable of handling itself.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Paul - I think I am done going this slow. For real, I don't think it is worth it for the amount of time it takes me to get to work and the amount of time it takes away from my family.

Side note- 36k on the clock and I did change the oil this weekend using 0w20 mobile 1 syn, after going to 2 different wal-marts(couldn't find 5w20). Also, I only used 3qts including using a new Honda oil filter which put me at the half way mark on the oil dip stick(between the two holes).
Right on Shan. I know how you feel. This tank I said ENOUGH and started using the A/C and not worrying so much about ICE-off P&G like I was doing before. I'm just setting cruse at 60 in a 65 and 55 in a 55 and DFCO'ing with a my typical N-ICE-on (easy stuff). That means I'm about 8 minutes off my 5 mph over commute I was used to doing. Know what? Even with my "wasteful" A/C I'm at 220 miles at the half tank! That means 41 - 44 mpg with 1/2 of my commute A/C on!.

Bottom line is I'm still getting excellent mileage and aside from not having bragging rights from a 50mpg tank, I'm satisfied.

O'yea, and you need to go one more tank with 0w20 man! We need to know if you have any significant increase (1-3mpg).

--D

Quick Reply: Mileage reports: Manual transmission (5MT)