General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:22 PM
Automatic transmission

Just curious how many people who bought the auto transmission also tried out the manual transmission and decided that they preferred having an automatic.

I have to say, the manual has much nicer operation that one would expect given the cost of the vehicle. Maybe GM should start buying Honda transmissions.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Retired Moderator
I have the AT and no i never have drove a MT Fit.
Overall im very happy with my AT, the paddles are very fun. The transmission is pretty smooth.

Tyler

Old 01-04-2008, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Im a nerd and just wanted it for the paddles, hence I didnt bother test driving the manual hehe.

Last edited by FITrunner; 01-04-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:23 PM
I wanted the paddles too, for the F1 feel wihout the feel? I drove the manual also but have a tough time with speeding tickets

Old 01-04-2008, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
I tried both, but to this day, I can't get used to sequential paddle/button shifters w/ no control over clutch modulation. And yes, Honda MT gearboxes are some of the slickest in the business. S2000s are among the very best, although I can't say I'm a fan of the one in the TSX... just doesn't feel right for some reason... it's almost *too* smooth!

-Mike

Old 01-04-2008, 04:22 PM
It's interesting how attractive the paddles are to people. I've often found myself getting bored with the automatics that offer gear selection. Generally speaking, sport mode usually gets the job done right in most cars.

The nice thing about an automatic is the torque converter making the ride feel "smooth" in terms of forward motion. The downside is that it's sometimes too smooth -- I find a clutch is nice if you want to feel the effect of the slightest movement of the gas pedal.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
i didn't get a chance to try a manual, since my wife is a bit auto fan. I wish i had it would have opened up a lot more tuning options, but i do appreciate the lower revs on the highway.

its funny though, that the 0-60 times for both the manual and automatic are very similar.

sport mode w/paddle shifting takes it all the way to redline, unlike other sport auto's out there.

if i ever sold my fit to get a bigger car for my wife, i'd be looking for a used manual sport to fill its place!

But i do love my auto. its smooth and nice.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Retired Moderator
Really the AT isnt much slower at all. At a past meet we had we were all flying up a mounatin road and Ciburri and Bernardio were at the lead and Ciburri with the AT actually pulled away and he didnt have a RSB but Bernard did, and Bernard had a MT. that just goes to show if you know how to drive the AT isnt much of a problem with paddles. He told me he was left foot braking and never letting the rpms under 3k!

Tyler

Old 01-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by gar1013
Just curious how many people who bought the auto transmission also tried out the manual transmission and decided that they preferred having an automatic.

I have to say, the manual has much nicer operation that one would expect given the cost of the vehicle. Maybe GM should start buying Honda transmissions.
GM should just start buying whole cars from Honda...

The MT is GREAT... even for 10K more you'de be hard pressed to find a better shifter.
The AT is good too for price.

I didn't even consider an AT. Never owned one and I won't give up my shifer and clutch until I can buy an electric drive car.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:43 PM
I drove both a few times...

I prefered the MT (I know thats not what you are asking but let me explain...)

the AT seemed fine...but to me my old 01 Civc AT felt more engaged with the driver (there are many reasons for this so I wond delve further)
the MT seemed fine but was a bit more responsive "feeling"... and Honda's tend to lag at lower rpms, thats what I have felt... and accelerating slow around corners then punching it sometimes there is a SIGNIFICANT lag...
MT's would do that to (within the given torque range and rpm) but you have more control over it. Especially in "normal" everyday driving. The paddles were awsome (mostly just fun...but useful too) but I did not feel the connection like I have on similar other vehicles with driver interfaced clutch removed.

I think for the past 20yrs even more so the last 10 especially autos and manuals are dead based on preference and convienience with (ok with a bunch of duds thrown in...but not really from Honda)

Old 01-04-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by eldaino
sport mode w/paddle shifting takes it all the way to redline, unlike other sport auto's out there.
you aren't driving them hard enough then!

My old '92 Mitsubishi eclipse would take hold the gear till redline in sport mode on the automatic. I just kept my foot on the pedal and the pedal on the floor, and kept it there till I decided I reached the speed I wanted to be going.

Then again, that's probably why my mileage was as low as 20.5mpg.