General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Scan Gauge Questions to help use get better MPG

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Scan Gauge Questions to help use get better MPG

This is for everyone but I would like for the Scan Gauge users to supply the answers.

I would like to put together a list of questions and answers that I have(others may have as well and others can add to the questions) that could potentially save us all some gas and increase our mpg. Ideally, more than one or two people should respond so we can see the variation and take the average. I would like to take all speculation out and leave the harassment out as well.(I know you can do it)

NOTE: This should be for a HONDA FIT only

• At what mph should we use A/C vs. the windows being down(how far down should all 4 windows be, if you can answer it)
  • Does running the fan on cool but no A/C decrease mpg?
  • Does running the heat make one loose mpg? If so, when should one use it or not?
  • In 1st gear does the fuel cut off when you coast in gear? If so, what mph does the fuel start again?
  • In 2nd gear does the fuel cut off when you coast in gear? If so, what mph does the fuel start again?
  • In 3rd gear does the fuel cut off when you coast in gear? If so, what mph does the fuel start again?
  • In 4th gear does the fuel cut off when you coast in gear? If so, what mph does the fuel start again?
  • In 5th gear does the fuel cut off when you coast in gear? If so, what mph does the fuel start again?
  • How does using the head lights affect mpg?
  • How does using the head lights and fog lights affect mpg?
  • How does the radio affect mpg?
  • How does tire pressure affect mpg? What is the optimum tire pressure for best mpg?
  • Please contribute your questions, I can’t think of everything.

P.S. I do not have a scan gauge but the above are questions I would research if I did have one.

Thanks, in advance.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
bump:

Also, in your best opinion, how accurate would you say the scangauge has been?
And, would you buy one again?

Old 04-24-2008, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Well.. to answer most of the questions in the original post: It depends. There is not magic speed, RPM, etc that will determine all those answers. It's based a ton more on engine load. The ScanGauge can show you engine load, as well as tons of other useful monitoring values to help you get better overall mileage.

Heck, the main one is obviously instant mpg.

And as for your electrically related questions... no change in MPG

Oh... and it's as accurate as the PCM (cars computer) with delivered values, other then those calculated, which you can tweak at each fillup for more accurate MPG, etc.

Last edited by mnapuran; 04-24-2008 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mnapuran
Well.. to answer most of the questions in the original post: It depends. There is not magic speed, RPM, etc that will determine all those answers. It's based a ton more on engine load. The ScanGauge can show you engine load, as well as tons of other useful monitoring values to help you get better overall mileage.

Heck, the main one is obviously instant mpg.

And as for your electrically related questions... no change in MPG

Oh... and it's as accurate as the PCM (cars computer) with delivered values, other then those calculated, which you can tweak at each fillup for more accurate MPG, etc.
So does it record the AVG MPG and then display that to you, like does it have any feature to compare one tank of gas to the next?

Old 04-24-2008, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Most definitely... I have mine setup to show instant MPG and trip MPG (since last start), then I have 2 other "gauges" showing all the time also.

When you go into the trip meter, you get a "this trip" page of readings, a "today" page of readings, a "yesterday" page of readings, and then a "tank" page of readings.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mnapuran
Most definitely... I have mine setup to show instant MPG and trip MPG (since last start), then I have 2 other "gauges" showing all the time also.

When you go into the trip meter, you get a "this trip" page of readings, a "today" page of readings, a "yesterday" page of readings, and then a "tank" page of readings.
Very cool... thanks for the info, will look into this more

Old 04-24-2008, 04:26 PM
I would like information from more than one person so we can see the variation and develop a plausible trend.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:55 PM
There have been a few members here who have contributed some of those answers already. Maybe try a search for them, while people post this thread up with additional info.

I think one of the threads is titled "Scangauge schooling" or something very similar.

And while you are at it, would you be interested in updating the post with answers in a different color as to keep the info concentrated?
Just thinking out loud good luck on your findings

Old 04-24-2008, 09:10 PM
I want to gather the info with the help of others and consolidate it in this thread.

Trying to fish through worthless post in some thread is not the intention of this. I want real data from real people. My hope is the info will be dumped here and analyzed as best I or we(people here) can.

Lets get some real data people.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
PB

read this and you'll get most of what you want.

Most of it was written to help users that will not buy a SG, but wanted to know what they told us that own them.

http://https://www.fitfreak.net/foru...schooling.html

Old 04-24-2008, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
since adding my scangauge, i haven't looked at my stock gauges lol. well, other than the fuel gauge.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
since adding my scangauge, i haven't looked at my stock gauges lol. well, other than the fuel gauge.
Pics of your mounting setup please!

Whoops, disregard... found some pics on another thread! Thx

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 04-24-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:54 PM
pcs0snq has some good data though you have to sift through it.

Who else has good data like pcs0snq???

I want to establish a range. Everything has a range or tolerance which is what I want to establish here. Then I can post it all in the my first post so people do not have to sift through crap. Hopefully, it will be "sticky" worthy.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Post up people. I am currently testing the K&N filter too see if it is worth a shit.