General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

ey guys i need ur help read this

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 PM
ey guys i need ur help read this

hi everyone i owned an automatic honda fit and i have a homebo that crashed his car and its manual transmission and iam thinking of changing my transmission u guys think u can help me on installing a manual transmission on my automatic fit i have the budget by i need ur guys advise so hit me up thanks guys

Old 08-07-2008, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
Does he have a Fit, too? If he doesn't, you won't be able to do the swap.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
You could trade in your AT Fit and buy an new or used MT Fit. That would be easier

Old 08-07-2008, 12:23 AM
transmission swaps are ridiculously time consuming and laborious and are probably just as difficult for the fit as they would be time consuming

if you really want an mt just trade in for the AT and refinance :-/

Old 08-07-2008, 01:01 AM
well his car is a fit and his giving me his manual transmision so any advice

Old 08-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Master FitFaker. CHEA!
well i have to congratulate you on your AT-MT switch
and i hope it goes well.

that is all.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
You'll need to swap out the trannys it probably won't have the same mounting points so a custom mounting job would be at hand. Possibly modify the hole in the floor. Install the clutch and run the cables and power wires unless you want to bypass the safety feature and hope that no one crashes the car because you left it in gear when they start it. You'll need to reprogram the ECU as well, probably need a completely different one for the 5MT. You'll also need the gauges from a 5MT unless you want the thing for the auto transmission to just sit there not being used.

If it were me I'd sell the tranny and use that to put towards the negative equity of trading in the 5AT for an MT. Unless you're seriously mechanically inclined the negative equity would probably be cheaper than the labor you'd have to pay to have it done.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
You'll need the ECU and time and the tranny and time and the shifter linkages and some time and a lift and the proper sealants and time.

Oh, and you'll need a little time, too. =P

Old 08-07-2008, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
he's giving u the whole car? I mean if he's doing that, i'm sure u could get it done cuz u will have all the parts available to you. But just be ready, u will be dropping the entire engine and everything inside it as well as the ENTIRE dashboard will have to come out because you have to get to the firewall to hook up the clutch pedal and resivoir and shift linkages. Don't forget once u do the whole swap, u gotta get an alignment done again (cuz the sub-frame has 2 come out as well) as well as get all ur lines refilled (brake, transmission, radiator coolant and clutch fluid) so just be aware of what ur gonna be up against. But don't let me discourage u, if u have another DD in hand, go fer it cuz it won't be a one day thing, it will probably take u like 2 months due to the fact that u probably have work and school like the rest of us.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
Put it like this i am new to the FIT but not new to cars way to much work in less u are experance and it is way more than just switch the transmissons. I would say Arisenfury was right just try and sell the transmisson and put that with ur car and trade it for a MT. Its way to much work and money to swap it. If it was easy and cheap u would see more people doing it. But it is not that is why most people just trade there car in for the MT one that they want. But hey it is ur car if its ur DD don't even try it. But if its not a DD than go for it if u know what u are doing or can find some one to help out. But i love helping out with working on cars and i would not want to try doing that at all but GOOD LUCK

Old 08-07-2008, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
he's giving u the whole car? I mean if he's doing that, i'm sure u could get it done cuz u will have all the parts available to you. But just be ready, u will be dropping the entire engine and everything inside it as well as the ENTIRE dashboard will have to come out because you have to get to the firewall to hook up the clutch pedal and resivoir and shift linkages. Don't forget once u do the whole swap, u gotta get an alignment done again (cuz the sub-frame has 2 come out as well) as well as get all ur lines refilled (brake, transmission, radiator coolant and clutch fluid) so just be aware of what ur gonna be up against. But don't let me discourage u, if u have another DD in hand, go fer it cuz it won't be a one day thing, it will probably take u like 2 months due to the fact that u probably have work and school like the rest of us.

Listen to this guy he is right He got it right on the spot if u ask me thats the end of it. But if u do try it take lots of pics and share the stages of it with us there will be alot of them

Old 08-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Fa1
Not impossible but extremely time consuming.
Just thinking about it you'll have to change
-flywheel / clutch
-tranny assembly
-probably tranny side mount
-clutch pedal / cable
-clutch reservoir
-shifter / linkage
-mt ecu
-gauge cluster

and thats assuming everything bolts up. Axles may be different length. Brake pedal could be too large. VSS could be different. Lots of other things could be needed. Have fun.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:30 AM
Ask gettinafit on here, I know he mentioned a transmission swap on here somewhere. He said the costs would be close to a grand so if your friend is handing you a thousand dollars worth of parts, the rest can't be as steep. He's the guy who did the K20 swap into his Fit so I'm sure he has plenty of info on this kind of thing.