General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

your forum (from a yaris owner)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 08:24 AM
hey put a xrs engine to the yaris i have a friend with a four door with the engine swap ready and looks cool

Old 01-31-2009, 10:45 AM
5 Year Member
ive seen that white yaris before on yarisworld...its pretty slick. i imagine at that point youre best off just running hydra or if you nab the 2zz from a celica power fc or something for tuning.....just hard to break the 200whp mark with the 2zzge n/a (but ppl are getting closer with that new intake manifold)

we'll see what comes up fit-wise for us in the future...my wife loves the 09's, but i kinda prefer the first gen's....after i saw that orange hasport k20 fit w/ the hanabi's in SCC, i was sold, lol......though chances of an engine swap in the fit or the yaris while w/i the powertrain warranty are slim to none, lol.

i usually just stick w/ bolt-on items as i can (and do) install them all myself...

how do the gen1's (and gen2's) do economy wise? i checked out the economy forum and it seems like summer driving yeilds about 36mpg in a manual...is that about accurate for city-only driving? i find our yaris gets 36mpg no matter how you drive in-city....

Old 01-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Quick note: I just got all excited hearing about different kinds of vehicles in this thread, because I really do like all kinds of cars. Maybe we can have more discussions happening in the "Other car related discussions" forum about the kinds of cars we used to have, or have in addition to the Fit, or would like to have. It looks like I wouldn't be the only one enjoying those discussions!!!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Welcome! It's a shame you had to go for the Yaris over a Fit... but at least it seems like you have a good head over those shoulders and went with pleasing the wife first. I heard they can be scary at times.

Just kidding. Maybe your next car...

Old 01-31-2009, 11:27 AM
In my neighborhood the Yaris owners outnumber the Fit owners. I don't see anyone modding any of them but all the Fit owners have done at least something from an accessory or rims/suspension.

Is there any reason for that? Is Toyota not supportive of aftermarket mods for the Yaris?

Old 01-31-2009, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikejet
In my neighborhood the Yaris owners outnumber the Fit owners. I don't see anyone modding any of them but all the Fit owners have done at least something from an accessory or rims/suspension.

Is there any reason for that? Is Toyota not supportive of aftermarket mods for the Yaris?
Toyota shoved it's youth market to the Scion line.
Scion

Honda keeps it's youth market via the Fit, AND it appeals to a whole bunch of other people too, like 90 year old Mary Taylor:
Mary's driving odyssey - Lifestyle Motoring News - Cairns, QLD, Australia

Older article:
After 13 times solo around Australia Mary at 88 is ready for the road again - Information Articles Go See Australia Directory

Mary says:
" The Thai built Jazz is virtually standard, apart from an after market cruise control unit and a video camera which has been mounted on the passenger side of the dashboard.

The footage Mary shoots will eventually be included in a short documentary that explores her passion for driving. “This car, ” says Mary “ is the best I’ve driven, it’s quiet, very comfortable and very, very economical.”
---

A luxury segment is one thing, but gambling on a youth-only market is dangerous. That's one reason the Big Three U.S. Automakers have trouble, too many brands within a company, that have cars that appeal ONLY to a tiny fragment of the population.

And here is the IQ from Toyota that will probably end up in the Scion brand as maybe xQ, and you can see what the responses are to that thought:
Vince Burlapp Car Page: Toyota iQ VS. Smart

It becomes a burden of a name. Like "kids don't buy Buicks". Well, "adults don't buy Scion" after they changed the body styles.

As long as Honda doesn't try to follow suit, they will be fine. The Fit is the miracle car.

(p.s. if the scion link doesn't take you to the xD modified cars, go back to their home page, click on the "xD" and then "Colors and Photos", and then on "Modified". Same for the xB, that's where you'll see the wheels and paint, etc)

Last edited by TaffetaWhite; 02-01-2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: added p.s.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Frankly, I don't understand why there's such animosity between Fit and Yaris owners. I own a Yaris, and really like the Fit. I also own a Civic. :-) Hey--we all love small cars! [shameless plub]Check out www.SubcompactCulture.com if you like small cars![/shameless plug]

I joined this forum before I joined Yarisworld.com; this is a great site for, well, Fit Freaks! (FYI, my screenname on Yarisworld is "Thirty-Nine.")

Old 02-02-2009, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
39, sup...good to see you here too

ya, i dont get the animosity...but whatevs...

small cars gotta stick togetha!

Old 02-02-2009, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thebarber
many canadians on the forum? (i just havent checked as of 930AST, lol)
Another Canadian owner here! I love Echo & Yaris too. My bro actually bought an echo hatchback last year and he will probably ditch his civic & take his echo to go lapping with me this year.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
welcome to fitfreak. i like the yaris, it's a cool car.

i average about 33 mpg in the city with my MT base. but i drive pretty hard. my best tank was 41 mpg on the highway in my wife's AT sport.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
small cars gotta stick togetha!
here here!

Old 02-02-2009, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
I really like Yaris's!! If i didnt buy a Fit, i most likely would've bought the Yaris. But i like all cars in general! no hater here.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome to Fit freak! I think Yaris' are pretty cool too. If they had the JDM 5 door Vitz in the states, i wouldve probably been torn between the Fit and the 5 door yaris.

Originally Posted by manxman
Ask blitzusa for a photo of his Yaris burning rubber in third gear (supercharged).
Oh yeah! I've seen that yaris at Blitz's distribution center. It looks pretty gangster. LOL

Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
ya, i should have bought a 5dr yaris, lol. wife liked the look of the 3 door better, so we got that. but now we have a kid on the way and the extra 500 it would have been for the same features AND power locks and 2 extra doors seems like so little now!

pretty happy w/ our yaris....get 36mpg city with an intake (35mpg stock) and i drive medium agressive....and the friggin daily hill climb 'uptown' here in fredericton....250' elevation change from downtown to uptown....

ive got a few mods waiting for spring too...gotta put my intake back on....also picked up some megan coilovers and a megan exhaust as well as an NST 10% underdrive crank pulley...i love having a 2300lb car! but its that idea that makes me yurn for the sweet lightness of an echo hatchback (2100lbs)

Old 02-03-2009, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
Welcome Barber.
Nice to see another MO member on here.
I had an XR Trix with the TuRD sc.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
i really like the yaris. i was about to get one in the same color. how bout posting up some pics when you get a chance. it looks like you got some nice pics in your sig.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:54 AM
a yaris and fit meet would be cool to see. Like what you guys said, "small cars gotta stick together"

Old 02-03-2009, 03:19 AM
Toyotas make pretty good beater cars. I use to run the crap out of my old 2000 Corolla VE for 80K+ miles and it never broke down. Had a couple issues, but never broke down. Also, I was pretty amazed that it was the first corolla engine that was induced with VTT-i on the market.

I do agree that Toyota lacks racing innovation since they've changed their focus on reliability thoughout the years. I was interested in the Yaris, util I saw the fit's interior and magic seats!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kazs
a yaris and fit meet would be cool to see. Like what you guys said, "small cars gotta stick together"
There are exotic car meets. Classic car meets. Why not Small Car meets?

Old small cars. New small cars. Stock small cars. Modified small cars. Imported and domestic small cars. People of all ages. Families and single people and kids.

A nice idea might be when the weather is good, to meet up at a park that has picnic tables and maybe a barbecue. And a bathroom!

Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
i like it.

ive been a member here for just over a year by the looks of things...haven't really visited or posted too much....

i'd been meaning to pop by again and check out some fits as the yarisworld board is a big stagnant right now...

but guys/gals, i gotta tell you: i like the cut of your jib

nice photos, beauty cars, doesnt seem to be a lot of bickering upon first look, and ooohhhhh so many mods.

ya, i own a yaris, but i often find the ppl on yarisworld are haters towards anything that isnt a toyota....

would have bought a gen1 fit, but my wife found the seating/pedal position made her knees hurt driving it....so ended up with a yaris (traded in my matrix xrs for it...you may have seen it in SCC as a readers ride )

anyhow, just a boring winters night in the maritimes, just thought id say hi and keep up the good work.
I've been an exclusive Toyota owner since 1995, and hubby since the '80's. We're a mixed marriage, since he still drives a 4-Runner and we still own the '95 Camry I used to drive. Our 17 year old son drives it now. I have a Sport AT in Blackberry Pearl and it makes my heart smile whenever I see it!

When I started looking for a car, at the end of last summer, all I wanted was a used Camry, the ones with the big back lights, before the latest re-design, but I couldn't find any with low mileage. Then hubby starts mentioning hatchbacks, esp. the Rav4. The rest is history. I didn't like any of the other hatches I drove, including the Rav. Just seem cheap inside to me now, and too expensive. I drove the Fit, liked it but had trouble admitting to myself and the world that I was considering an alternative lifestyle.

By the time I came to grips with my inner desires for a change, almost all the '08s were gone. I don't like the aesthetics of the '09s, that's just my personal opinion, so I almost reconciled myself to remaining a Toyota owner...but then I found one 2 states away and bought it.

I think Toyota has had some missteps over the last 10 years or so, and their quality has slipped, or I'd still be driving a Camry. The newer cars don't feel as solid as my '95...of course, some of that is due to CAFE standards new cars must meet (thank you Congress!).

But thanks for joining FitFreak and speaking up! You're welcome here!

Quick Reply: your forum (from a yaris owner)