General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

FIT news: Scangauge (FitFreak.net mentioned!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
FIT news: Scangauge (FitFreak.net mentioned!)

I discovered the ScanGauge II while browsing the forum on fitfreak.net, where it was getting good reviews. Not only could it read the Fit’s engine computer data, but it had a built in trip computer that recorded stats for the current drive, day, previous day, and tank.

Why it’s worth the money.
A Honda Fit, like almost all contemporary vehicles, is as much a computer as it is a car. You and the computer are really driving as a team, and the ScanGauge is one way to communicate with your co-pilot. Some quality communication lets me know if I’m really toning down the lead foot.
-------------

Entire article here:
A More Perfect (Honda) Fit: ScanGauge Let's You See How Efficiently You're Driving, Instantly

Old 04-03-2009, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
nice. scangauge ftw!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:43 AM
So other than telling you your RPM's, fuel usage and a few other neat things, that's it?

Ehh, $160 to see what gas mileage Im really getting seems a little much, maybe Im missing something?

Old 04-04-2009, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
I got one almost brand new...if anybody wants it...135 plus shipping let me know

Old 04-04-2009, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Beitzel15
So other than telling you your RPM's, fuel usage and a few other neat things, that's it?

Ehh, $160 to see what gas mileage Im really getting seems a little much, maybe Im missing something?
facepalm. it tells you EVERYTHING about your car. intake air temp, engine load, throttle postition.... if there is a sensor, it displays it. the scangauge is DEFINITELY worth the money

Old 04-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
facepalm. it tells you EVERYTHING about your car. intake air temp, engine load, throttle postition.... if there is a sensor, it displays it. the scangauge is DEFINITELY worth the money
I read that, I guess I didnt make myself clear, I meant, what is the purpose of knowing all this, is what I meant. I can see knowing your MPG would be useful but everything else doesnt matter does it?

Old 04-04-2009, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
I read that, I guess I didnt make myself clear, I meant, what is the purpose of knowing all this, is what I meant. I can see knowing your MPG would be useful but everything else doesnt matter does it?
why have a speedometer? why have a tachometer? why have a gas gauge? etc

Old 04-04-2009, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
I'm with solbrothers on this one.... its totaly worth, i cant imagine driving with out one....

Old 04-04-2009, 12:29 PM
why have a speedometer? why have a tachometer? why have a gas gauge? etc
So you know your speed, to not get a ticket.... So you know your miles, for un stated reasons, and to know when to fill up with gas...

Knowing your air intake does what for you? Im not arguing, just trying to figure it out is all.

Doesnt the car tell you your mpg or couldnt you add it up? I dont get why I should spend $160 to know my air intake, etc... unless it actually helps or has a benefit?

Again, not trying to be an ass, just missing something I suppose.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
i bet you are a person who doesnt know how to "drive" and someone who doesnt care about driving. just someone who mashes the gas pedal and steers

Old 04-04-2009, 01:45 PM
i bet you are a person who doesnt know how to "drive" and someone who doesnt care about driving. just someone who mashes the gas pedal and steers
So, by me asking someone to simply explain the purpose of the Scangauge, you make this idiotic remark? Being you dont know anything about me, at all.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
I don't have one but I imagine having access to additional sensors like that would allow you to get immediately USABLE feedback on how to get better mileage. An MPG meter won't tell you shit as far as how to get better mileage without a lot of guessing. With a scangauge you can actually keep track of throttle position, etc. I believe.

Don't mind solbrothers, he'll get a kick out of it too much.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
I don't have one but I imagine having access to additional sensors like that would allow you to get immediately USABLE feedback on how to get better mileage. An MPG meter won't tell you shit as far as how to get better mileage without a lot of guessing. With a scangauge you can actually keep track of throttle position, etc. I believe.

Don't mind solbrothers, he'll get a kick out of it too much.
truth and truth.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
For me, the scangauge II has been wonderful. Sure, you can do the math and figure out your mpgs and whatnot after a tank, but the scangauge does it for you in almost real-time, so you can modify the way you're driving for best efficiency. It can read and clear your CELs, calculate how much you're spending in fuel in real time (in gallons, litres, or $$$ if you take the time to set it up), and show you so much about the way your car is operating. Wondering if that CAI is really lowering your temps the way you think it is? The Scangauge II will confirm that for you. Wonder if that custom scoop you picked up on FitFreak.net has any effect on your operating temp? SGII will let you know. I like knowing that stuff. If you're more of the "put it in D, press pedal, and steer" kind of person, you won't care.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by DagerOne
For me, the scangauge II has been wonderful. Sure, you can do the math and figure out your mpgs and whatnot after a tank, but the scangauge does it for you in almost real-time, so you can modify the way you're driving for best efficiency. It can read and clear your CELs, calculate how much you're spending in fuel in real time (in gallons, litres, or $$$ if you take the time to set it up), and show you so much about the way your car is operating. Wondering if that CAI is really lowering your temps the way you think it is? The Scangauge II will confirm that for you. Wonder if that custom scoop you picked up on FitFreak.net has any effect on your operating temp? SGII will let you know. I like knowing that stuff. If you're more of the "put it in D, press pedal, and steer" kind of person, you won't care.
Well, explained like that, it seems useful... the way I read it on their site, it just let you know your air intake, throttle position, gas mileage... things I could see people being curious about but I didnt know if it actually increased gas mileage or performance of your car.
Thank you.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Well, explained like that, it seems useful... the way I read it on their site, it just let you know your air intake, throttle position, gas mileage... things I could see people being curious about but I didnt know if it actually increased gas mileage or performance of your car.
Thank you.
It does sound useful. I didn't understand what it was all about either. If it's beneficial to the point where we can easily learn to use it, and it will recoup it's cost by saving us money and teaching us how to drive EFFICIENTLY, it's a good thing.

Getting a feel for best efficiency carries over to all other cars. What would be really nice is having that as an option on all cars. It makes sense. It makes enough sense that it ought to be coming WITH the cars, rather than being an add-on.

So that it could be incorporated into the dash in an attractive and functional manner. The same way they've added in navigation systems.

Getting even 2-3 more miles per gallon matters. You bet it matters. Over the lifetime of a car? That is a substantial savings! (no matter what anyone's starting mpg is)

Old 04-04-2009, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
it only works if you let it work.

but honestly, how do you drive the speed limit? by reading the speedometer. how do you know when to get gas? the gas gauge. how do you know when to shift? the tachometer.

how do you know what your fuel economy is REAL TIME? how do you know how to get the most out of every tank of gas? how do you know what works and what doesnt for getting awesome fuel economy?

the scangauge

Old 04-05-2009, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
it totaly teaches u how to squeeze ever mpg out of the car, over the summer when gas was almost 5 a gallon i was able to use the scangauge to hone my hypermiling into getting 44.7mpg on 45psi tires. so yes it works!