General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

excessive clutch wearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 05:59 PM
2nd generation clutch failure here

I had a perfectly working clutch on Thursday. On Friday the Pedal was a little "squishy" and you had to push it down quite far to change gears?? I went to work (overnight shift) and on Saturday Morning my clutch had all but stopped working. I could barely get the car into gear, and realizing my dilemma I kept in lower gears and "limped" home from work driving slowly. I could barely get it out of gear. Now I have to borrow a friend's car because in my small town there were no transmission shops open until Monday. I am an RN by trade and don't have any clue about what happened. If I was to guess (not knowing anything about transmissions), it felt like the pressure drained from the clutch pedal?
It's very disappointing that this has happened. I have had several hondas with over 100k with absolutely no clutch failure, now this one is dead with barely 11k on the odometer?

Old 05-08-2010, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I have hit girls for riding the clutch and not shifting out of gear at signal lights, in their own car even.
like when the car is sitting still and your in gear with the clutch down? thats kinda messed up.. because i don't think thats hurting the clutch any. only when its half engaged

the clutch works by engaged which is in its open form, and released which is when clutch closes with flywheel. if your at either or ends its not burning, but when your giving excessive gas during a clutch and flywheel engagement it slips and burns a little.

you should go back and apologize to those girls

Old 05-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Vash
like when the car is sitting still and your in gear with the clutch down?
It used to be that that practice was bad for your throw-out bearing, but I've never heard of anyone having one fail in a modern car, no matter how long you sat with the clutch disengaged.

But "riding the clutch" is when you're giving it gas and slipping the clutch up and down so you don't have to step on the brake to keep from rolling back. Like if you're not confident in your ability to hill-start, and some jackass pulls up a couple inches behind your bumper.

I have no problems starting on a hill, but I make sure to roll back a few inches as people are pulling up behind me . . . let them know to give me some space.

To the OP, any updates? How's the newest clutch holding up?

Old 05-08-2010, 10:38 PM
i do the same thing. when people pull up i roll a bit as a little heads up

Old 05-08-2010, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Daemione

I have no problems starting on a hill, but I make sure to roll back a few inches as people are pulling up behind me . . . let them know to give me some space.

ahhhh iam the same way

Old 05-08-2010, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Me too, it keeps them back a little sometimes..... I tried it in my wife's Forester and it wouldn't roll back.... Turns out Subaru has employed a device that first appeared on 1936 Studebakers called a hill holder that locks the brakes until the clutch is released when sitting on an incline.